Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrice's personal story requires her to "draw" two Unique Items. At the Curiositie Shoppe, she can "draw" three, buy one, and discard the other two. Technically, since she "drew" three, one could argue that she has completed her personal story.

However, I'm going out on a limb to suggest that the intent of the word "draw" was "draw and obtain". Do you veterans agree?

In other words, simply drawing is not sufficient. Further, she cannot fulfill the story by being given items. They must be drawn from the deck and obtained by Patrice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, draw = "draw and keep", clarified by KW himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I wouldn't allow a purchase of a Unique Item as a "Draw" at all. I only count actions that are effectively "draw the top card from the deck into your hand" (e.g. from an Encounter) for the purposes of Personal Stories. Patrice is broken enough without letting her buy her Personal Story Pass (worse case scenario: Patrice buys two Elder Signs!!!!!!).

Although the "Draw" action taken during setup does trigger Investigator Special Abilities (e.g. "draw an extra X"), there's no way that can be allowed to count toward card-draw-based PSes either (haven't checked the complete set of PSes to see whether that's a valid concern - I prefer surprises).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Now I wouldn't allow a purchase of a Unique Item as a "Draw" at all. I only count actions that are effectively "draw the top card from the deck into your hand" (e.g. from an Encounter) for the purposes of Personal Stories. Patrice is broken enough without letting her buy her Personal Story Pass (worse case scenario: Patrice buys two Elder Signs!!!!!!).

Although the "Draw" action taken during setup does trigger Investigator Special Abilities (e.g. "draw an extra X"), there's no way that can be allowed to count toward card-draw-based PSes either (haven't checked the complete set of PSes to see whether that's a valid concern - I prefer surprises).

I punish Patrice enough (three clues when she passes her personal story, can only give one clue token to each investigator once, three clues when the doom track reaches nine, no clues every time a gate opens); but, the space does say draw three and purchase one, if you've got the money. I do like that you're trying to tone her down, though.

The funny thing is, I just shake my head and wonder why she has such a horrible won/lost record at my table. :-) I do these things and then wonder why I can't win.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When purchasing items at the shoppe, they're drawn from the deck. They should absolutely count towards her story, especially considering that this "draw" also applies to other draw effects like Y'Golonac and Monterey Jack.

Now, I do agree with you that Patrice is already too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.