Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Playing badly or just not my game? Advice needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yaagma yaagma
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently played my first Caylus game (2 players) and I liked the city building part. I liked how buildings added more options as the game progresed and how they can produce resources more eficiently. I like seeing it growing and building a resurce production engine.

But my wife won me just going continuously to the castle instead of building. The city remained quite small and I had mixed feelings about the game. I think that to win Caylus I'd should go more often to the castle instead of building the city (the part that I liked more!!).

My questions are:
- Is this normal? Should I assume that this is not a game about building a big city but a castle?

- Is it a problem with 2 player games? Do the city get full with four players?

- Any other game for 2-4 players that lets me see my city growing and enjoy collecting the results

Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yaagma wrote:
But my wife won me just going continuously to the castle instead of building.


If you can get to be "best builder", then you should be going to the castle ahead of her. Those extra favors can swing a game your way.[/q]

Quote:
The city remained quite small and I had mixed feelings about the game. I think that to win Caylus I'd should go more often to the castle instead of building the city (the part that I liked more!!).

- Is this normal? Should I assume that this is not a game about building a big city but a castle?


It is definitely a game about building the castle.

The whole game hinges around the different stages being built, and when it is complete it is over.

The city building is almost a bi-product of needing more things to help you build in the castle.

Having said that, if you focus on building the city, you can run away with the game if you can get a few blue buildings in.

Quote:
- Is it a problem with 2 player games? Do the city get full with four players?


The city rarely goes to the last "bend" in the road. Unless people are building near the end of teh game just to get the points from the buildings.


Quote:
Any other game for 2-4 players that lets me see my city growing and enjoy collecting the results


I'm trying to think of a game at the moment, but can't I may have to come back later.

But ....

La Città maybe.
City Tycoon possibly.
And the new Sunrise City perhaps ... ?




N.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For beginning to mid-level players, there are a lot of successful paths to victory. So part of the fun is exploring the different paths. For people closer to expert, there are far fewer ways to win.

Two relatively simple strategy hints - 1) If you want to focus on the city, and your wife rarely builds there, you should focus on building all three of the stone production buildings. The resource advantage this will give you should be enough to win and force your wife to play in the city. 2) You don't have to take turns going to the castle. You can follow her to the castle, when you have a resource advantage, and force her to build more sections at once, or lose the favor.

Neither of these is earth shattering, but they are things to try as you improve and get a deeper understanding of the critical elements in the game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yaagma wrote:
- Any other game for 2-4 players that lets me see my city growing and enjoy collecting the results

Carson City http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39938/carson-city
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yaagma wrote:

My questions are:
- Is this normal? Should I assume that this is not a game about building a big city but a castle?

- Is it a problem with 2 player games? Do the city get full with four players?

Try to play like this :
- build the cloth building then the lawyer early on
- trust the joust field (go for money favor)
- trust the lawyer to build at least 4/5 residences (overbuild the farms)
- play agressively the provost (to make spending money to your opponents)

And the king won't be happy.



yaagma wrote:

- Any other game for 2-4 players that lets me see my city growing and enjoy collecting the results

Thanks in advance

+1 for Carson City.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you taken a look at Lords of Waterdeep?

Other building games:

Big City
Carcassonne
Urban Sprawl

BOb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain wrote:

Ryan Sturm's most recent (as of this posting) episode of How To Play is on Carson City.. you may find it helpful to see (er hear) if you'd like it.
http://howtoplaypodcast.com/episodes/episodes-31-40/episode-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yaagma wrote:
I've recently played my first Caylus game (2 players) and I liked the city building part. I liked how buildings added more options as the game progresed and how they can produce resources more eficiently. I like seeing it growing and building a resurce production engine.

But my wife won me just going continuously to the castle instead of building. The city remained quite small and I had mixed feelings about the game. I think that to win Caylus I'd should go more often to the castle instead of building the city (the part that I liked more!!).

My questions are:
- Is this normal? Should I assume that this is not a game about building a big city but a castle?

- Is it a problem with 2 player games? Do the city get full with four players?

- Any other game for 2-4 players that lets me see my city growing and enjoy collecting the results

Thanks in advance


The castle is more powerful the fewer players involved. A lot less competition for best builder. You need to be in there competing for it and splitting those favors. To get your building fix, hit the building favor track. It is also more powerful with fewer players. And if you wife doesn't use that track, she'll have a tough time unless she works on getting out lawyer, architect, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yaagma yaagma
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try those strategies against my wife

Thanks also for the recomendations. Yesterday I've read Carson City and Carcassonne reviews and I'll also check the rest of games.
Carson City looks promising, but it seems that I'll have to wait for a reprint...

Thanks to all for your answers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.