Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer 1968

The US got a big morale boost for the Tay Nhin disaster last season. The US finally abandoned their campaign of bombing the North and Laos. We challenged him in Kontum and unfortunately lost too many units again and gave him another boost to his morale. Kontum is very defensible for me and hard to get to for him. The folks there are not very excited about Communism so they understood the need for a Free Fire Zone and didn’t mind during the upcoming pacification phase. We were able to force the US player to take some units off the board due to the high casualty rate. Most of these were Australians.

The other good news was the unstable government of South Vietnam. Though it didn’t impact the troops in the field, it eventually will. We watched the loyalty of South Vietnam’s generals plummet this turn. By a miracle most of ARVN was still effective.

The end of this season was the same as the rest. No VC or NVA in South Vietnam, but we put some casualties on him.

Fall 1968

This season there was a coup in Saigon. That is barely newsworthy these days. We made a strong build up of Viet Cong in the I Corp area. Still hurting from back to back NVA disasters all the NVA were recalled to the interior. We had the VC regimental Headquarters bombard the units he had sitting near the border to help run up his casualties. He attempted to have ARVN clear I Corp. At the conclusion of the season there were 2 VC units still inside I Corp. This is a huge victory for us.

We also had a small buildup of political sections in the Mekong River Delta. He used his Thai soldiers and lots of airpower to root them out. Overall we are happy with the way this season went. My losses were low, his losses were a positive number and the Saigon government is focused on internal power struggles rather than hunting us.

Very happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how much NVA artillery do you have in NVN? Quang Tri should be hard to live in by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm almost certain Mark has bought all the NVA artillery by now. It is located with the three or so NVA divisions active in Laos and Cambodia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my NVA artillery is in the Tay Nhin area on the Ho Chi Min trail. He makes taking out my artillery a high priority, so I don't really try to get at him with it, except for special occasions. Losses have been too high recently though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
All my NVA artillery is in the Tay Nhin area on the Ho Chi Min trail. He makes taking out my artillery a high priority, so I don't really try to get at him with it, except for special occasions. Losses have been too high recently though.

OK, this is bad. Keep the NVN artillery in NVN, back from the border, with an NVN Regiment and a VC Regiment in the stack to absorb blows from counter bombardment. Use the artillery to bombard ARVN garrisons, and to fire in support of your VC lining the border. See how he likes large firepower coming back .

There is a great little Town just inside the border, Con Thien. Holding it is a nightmare for the FWA, and losing it is a running sore in Quang Tri. Pacification is a misery in Quang Tri

EDIT: Tay Ninh!.. isn't this province at 0 pacification anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.