Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though there is not a lot of information available at this point, the theme and "progressive story" will be perfect for gameplay with my three grand-daughters 6, 8, and 11.

I think it will be fun for them to play a chapter each time them stay with Alesia and I.

I sure hope there will be enough "girl characters" to make them all three happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are mice just change the name on the cards and they can all be girl characters. Its not like female vs male mice are anthropomorphically divergent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the designer said the rules are coming soon. The second they are available, assuming I don't see any glaringly odd rules, I am preordering too. I know my wife will love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
They are mice just change the name on the cards and they can all be girl characters. Its not like female vs male mice are anthropomorphically divergent.

From the posted card images, that's not true. Some of these mice appear to have human-style breasts, and one has a beard.

Here is how I see them:

Tilda is female (name, bosom, dress)
Lily is female (name, bosom)
Collin is probably male (name)
Nez might be male (physique)
Maginos is male (beard)
Filch appears neutral

All in all, not bad from a gender standpoint, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
irishman wrote:

From the posted card images, that's not true. Some of these mice appear to have human-style breasts, and one has a beard.

Here is how I see them:

Tilda is female (name, bosom, dress)
Lily is female (name, bosom)
Collin is probably male (name)
Nez might be male (physique)
Maginos is male (beard)
Filch appears neutral

Yeah, from the images posted, the mice are not gender neutral. I assumed Filch was male since the other females have thier upper bodies covered. I might be better off trying to convince them Collin is female from the picture... but the text says "prince"...

Maybe I can paint the figures and add a bikini top to Filch.

Well, it is not a big deal really, just know all three girls will want to play females because... well, that is how kids are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
I assumed Filch was male since the other females have thier upper bodies covered.

True. Perhaps mouseland is more like a European beach? Plus mice do have fur there, to cover up the naughty bits.

Quote:
I might be better off trying to convince them Collin is female from the picture... but the text says "prince"...

Just as we sometimes refer to female thespians as "actors", and female congresspeople as "congressman", perhaps in mouseland "prince" is a neutral term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

Quote:
I might be better off trying to convince them Collin is female from the picture... but the text says "prince"...

Just as we sometimes refer to female thespians as "actors", and female congresspeople as "congressman", perhaps in mouseland "prince" is a neutral term.

Hmmm... I might be able to get away with that one. Thanks for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget it's not "mouseland," but people turned into mice by the evil...whoever and whatever. So he's a human prince. But that backstory may or may not be important to kids.

I think that boys usually want to NOT play a girl figure more than girls don't want to play a boy figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:
Don't forget it's not "mouseland," but people turned into mice by the evil...whoever and whatever. So he's a human prince. But that backstory may or may not be important to kids.

True, although presumably it is a fictitious place, so they still could have different grammatical rules there. Human Prince Collin could be female. I don't know how prominent the backstory is if you just play the game, so I don't know if pronouns would get in the way.

There are tons of politically charged things I could say about kids wanting to play other genders, but perhaps this thread has gone far enough in that direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:

I think that boys usually want to NOT play a girl figure more than girls don't want to play a boy figure.

Yeah... It is a human world with people turned into mice... but, I see it as Disney like so I think I can swing the term "prince". I guess it all depends on how the stories... Adventure... chapters are written.

It is not that they will not play male figures, it is just that if two of them get female character the third will say something like, "Why do they get to play girls and I don't?".

I remember as a child I wouldn't touch a barbie doll (GI Joe was OK though) and would NEVER play a female game peice... Was it Candy Land that had stand up peices, both female and male? I don't remember what game, but I wouldn't play if I didn't get a male peice. So, maybe it is a gender thought process about playing cross gender figures.

I guess the easiest thing would be to just say, "random mouse selection, pick a card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just ask them to pick if they want to be an archer, a fighter, strong, crafty, smart/wise, or a medic. Then give 'em the fig with no comment. Let them question who they got if they must - they might not.

I have ordered this, too. It looks interesting and fun, and that it can be played solo OR with grandkids is a big plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
We princes are set as it were upon stages in the sight and view of the world. -- Queen Elizabeth I

It was, once, used as a generic term for a monarch (though, as a title, still referred to male heirs). It would not be a great stretch, then, to imagine a not-quite-historical setting in which 'Prince Chris' could be either male or female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
It is not that they will not play male figures, it is just that if two of them get female character the third will say something like, "Why do they get to play girls and I don't?".
Because you're the oldest and I was hoping you would set a good example for your sisters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elstree wrote:
Sayburr wrote:
Because you're the oldest and I was hoping you would set a good example for your sisters.
Yeah. Overall, they are good kids and any of the three would be OK with me saying, "There are only two girl characters, you will get to play one next time"... I just like to spoil them and then send 'em home to mommy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always rotate who is using what mouse what chapter. That is certainly viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkbladecb wrote:
You can always rotate who is using what mouse what chapter. That is certainly viable.
Yeah, I think a random like selection would be best. If the scenarios call for four specific characters, let the girls select at random which one they will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny H
China
Dongguan
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elstree wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

This is how problems are solved usually between siblings in most chinese families
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Go Shakespearean? The 'prince' and male characters could be girls in disguise. Girls may not want to 'be' a boy but might enjoy pretending to be a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
darkbladecb wrote:
Yeah, I think a random like selection would be best. If the scenarios call for four specific characters, let the girls select at random which one they will play.

I don't know much about the game at this point, but as it is very story based, and the story tells you exactly how many mice to use, I would not be surprised if the story told you exactly WHICH mice to use, which means there could only be one female mouse, or no females at all for particular chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A_train wrote:
Sayburr wrote:
darkbladecb wrote:

I don't know much about the game at this point, but as it is very story based, and the story tells you exactly how many mice to use, I would not be surprised if the story told you exactly WHICH mice to use, which means there could only be one female mouse, or no females at all for particular chapters.

Yeah, I am starting to think the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A_train wrote:
Sayburr wrote:
darkbladecb wrote:

The chapters don't usually dictate which mice you choose, but if there is a mouse that must be in that chapter or must NOT be in that chapter, it will state that at the beginning of the chapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also submitted my pre-order based partly on the fact that I play games with my girls (wife and daughter). The cute factor is very high here and the general perception of cartoon mice as effeminate creatures will open the doors even wider to us playing adventure games as a family. Other reasons for my order:

- solo play option
- story telling. sometimes i'll read books aloud in bed and my wife has grown fond of 'story time' kiss. this game will dovetail nicely with that.
- i'm a sucker for that gotta have it now! feeling. I'm on BGG quite a bit and I see a lot of new games, but they don't all give that spark that I'm looking for.
- previous games by Plaid Hat have been well received.
- if the rules make the game look absolutely terrible, then I will exercise my right to cancel at anytime before my game ships.

I'm soooo excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

How the hell is only 1/3 female characters, both in fairly "traditional" female roles, "not bad"?

I love the look of the mice minis. I love co-op and adventure games. This really looks potentially great...but I'm just so sick of sexism in games. This is extra annoying in a game where the characters all easily could have been gender neutral with no need to provide extra minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

How the hell is only 1/3 female characters, both in fairly "traditional" female roles, "not bad"?

Two things:

1. 1/3, while not great, is better than many/most. That's unfortunate but true.

2. At the time I said that, I thought there were 2 male, 2 female, 1 probably male, and 1 neutral. While not perfect, that would be "not bad". Now that I realize it is more solidly 4 male, 2 female, I am more disappointed, as you are.

Kudos for having 2 females, but boos for not having 3, or for simply not making at least some of them more neutral. I think a better phrasing would have been "not terrible".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. 1/3, while not great, is better than many/most. That's unfortunate but true.

It beats Descent. But being "better than most" doesn't make you GOOD by any stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.