Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » General

Subject: Base + Intrigue + ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the common recommendations on BGG is to play the base game of Dominion together with the cards from Intrigue. I plan on buying one more expansion. I want this to be my last Dominion purchase. Which expansion should it be (works best with the 2 previous sets and offers an alternative path to victory)?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Dominion: Seaside as it offers new card types (cards that remain on the table for one round) without adding too much rule overhead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want alternate paths to victory, I think Prosperity is your best bet. With it, you can buy crap to victory with Goons or Trash to victory with Bishop. Additionally, because Colony is out there, buying all the Provinces might not get you enough points.

I don't think there is too much rule cruft added, though you do have to be careful about playing your money if Bank/Venture/Mint/Grand Market are out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milkolate wrote:
One of the common recommendations on BGG is to play the base game of Dominion together with the cards from Intrigue. I plan on buying one more expansion. I want this to be my last Dominion purchase. Which expansion should it be (works best with the 2 previous sets and offers an alternative path to victory)?

Thanks.

Prosperity has the most 'alternative paths to victory' with Colonies and VP chips. ALL of the sets work well with the other sets. That's one of the main draws of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a lot of mileage out of the Base + Intrigue (plus a few promo cards), and don't plan to buy another set anytime soon, despite the fact that we still play a lot of Dominion.

However, if I were to get one, it would be Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
If you want alternate paths to victory, I think Prosperity is your best bet. With it, you can buy crap to victory with Goons or Trash to victory with Bishop. Additionally, because Colony is out there, buying all the Provinces might not get you enough points.

I don't think there is too much rule cruft added, though you do have to be careful about playing your money if Bank/Venture/Mint/Grand Market are out.

I agree Prosperity is my fav expansion. Horde card I love you bacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If what you mean by an "alternative path to victory" means other ways to win instead of victory cards, Prosperity is pretty much the only way to go.

BUT if you just mean other ways to win instead of just Provinces (or Duchies), I'd suggest Hinterlands. There are three kingdom victory cards in Hinterlands, and it and Intrigue are the only sets with more than one kingdom victory card. When combined, the plethora of victory cards can make Crossroads and Silk Road really shine.

Seaside is still my favorite expansion, but it doesn't really provide any "alternative paths to victory." Prosperity was my #2, but it is in a close race with Hinterlands and as I play Hinterlands more it looks like it might pass Prosperity on my favorites list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity.

But not buying them all is just silly if you like the game (IMHO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd chose Prosperity. Or Seaside. Intrigue would be my last choice in the big box sets if I were only going to buy one expansion (although I haven't yet played Hinterlands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Spielguy wrote:
I'd chose Prosperity. Or Seaside. Intrigue would be my last choice in the big box sets if I were only going to buy one expansion (although I haven't yet played Hinterlands).

It sounds like the OP already plans on getting Intrigue and is looking for another expansion to go with that and the base set (i.e. 3 sets total)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have both the base and Intrigue.

So far, it appears as if Prosperity is getting the most recommendations. The victory tokens are just turning me off since I find it less elegant to include tokens, I prefer just playing with cards.

So I guess it's a choice between Prosperity and Hinterlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity may actually be my least favorite expansion. I recommended it because you said you wanted alternate routes to victory, and nothing provides that more literally than VP tokens. If you don't like tokens, then Hinterlands is probably your best option. Dark Ages might be better, but we won't know until at least August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
opinion:,:blankpleaseblankforgive

d10-1 SEASIDE
d10-2 HINTERLANDS
d10-3 PROSPERITY
d10-4 CORNUCOPIA
d10-5 ALCHEMY
d10-6 DARKblankAGES

thankblankyou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spellenwinkel Avondtuur
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
1 prosperity
2 Seaside
3 Intrigue
4 Hinterlands
5 Hinterlands
6 Dark Ages
7 don`t buy Alchemy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
avondtuur wrote:
1 prosperity
2 Seaside
3 Intrigue
4 Hinterlands
5 Hinterlands
6 Dark Ages
7 don`t buy Alchemy

Just buy them all ... And the promos.
I do like alchemy ... Not always, but it has another extra dimension to it, and then it all depends on with which other cards you are playing.
If you want to add a zest to your dominionising , then get some of the expansions in other languages!
We've gone for intrigue and seaside in Dutch, prosperity in German hinterlands in French ... All the others are in English.
But what order to the get them? Probably hinterlands or seaside after base and intrigue as starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.