Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious if we might see an expansion for this game later. Naturally the twists are easy to expand. The invention deck can be expanded too but you probably wouldn't want to mess with that deck too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald X game? Of course there will be expansions!!

Although I am only 90% sure it will go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Neo42 wrote:
I'm just curious if we might see an expansion for this game later. Naturally the twists are easy to expand. The invention deck can be expanded too but you probably wouldn't want to mess with that deck too much.

I made an expansion, but I don't know yet if it will get published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Based on Ascora's total bungling of the release from delays to spotty distribution to total lack of communication I hope the game has still kept enough interest and momentum for an expansion to happen. Though I guess if the xpac was made by Acora, their current track record might keep people away. I'd certainly think twice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Based on Ascora's total bungling of the release from delays to spotty distribution to total lack of communication I hope the game has still kept enough interest and momentum for an expansion to happen. Though I guess if the xpac was made by Acora, their current track record might keep people away. I'd certainly think twice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

The majority of buyers probably have no knowledge about any perceived bungling to being with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Here are two options then:

a) let us print and play to beta test it for you.

b) if they never publish it then release it for print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

The majority of buyers probably have no knowledge about any perceived bungling to being with.

I noticed that i couldn't get it through my family local game store. And I noticed that it seemed to be in very limited quantity when it did reach an online store I could order it from. AND I couldn't order it from amazon. All that did make me question their distribution methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

I noticed that i couldn't get it through my family local game store. And I noticed that it seemed to be in very limited quantity when it did reach an online store I could order it from. AND I couldn't order it from amazon. All that did make me question their distribution methods.

Sure but when it shows up in most stores in a few weeks or so, people will just come across it and buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about kickstarting the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

It is hard to say I think. In a good scenario, early adopters get excited about a game, the buzz spreads, it shows up on the Hotness, people preorder, the game comes out shortly, gets played, the word gets to non-early adopters through play or buzz from early adopters, non early adopters pick up online or at their local shop, and so on until if it is a real success it spirals to the "general" gamer increasing exponentially at each stage. This would be the scenario for a "hit" happening as described in the book "The Tipping Point" (great read, btw).

In this particular scenario, early adopters got excited, the buzz spread, then delay, the buzz died down, more delay and no communication, some people get upset, less early adopters leads to less spread to other crowds and so on and it might fizzle after the initial release.

It is really hard to say how many sales are based upon initial release, follow-up purchases from exposure to play, and how many are from someone randomly walking in to a game store and buying it for its pretty cover, theme, whatever.

I'm guessing more buy from the spiralling exposure bit than from random purchases, but it is just a guess.

All we can say for sure is that the shoddy distribution and communication will have some impact and it will not be positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
nate_lockhart wrote:
All we can say for sure is that the shoddy distribution and communication will have some impact and it will not be positive.

As Lee noted, most potential buyers will have never heard of this game before they see it on game store shelves because these people are not on BGG. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

As Lee noted, most potential buyers will have never heard of this game before they see it on game store shelves because these people are not on BGG. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

I'd love to see some data to back this up.

My point still stands. Shoddy distro and communications will impact sales negatively. All we are "arguing" over is by how much. It might be by .001% or 50%, we don't know. I have made no claims either way and only outlined possibilities. And I said I hope it does not impact the chances of an expansion. No need for anyone else to give me their opinion on how much it will or will not hurt sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
nate_lockhart wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

Talk to store owners about what percentage of their customers are aware of BGG, have accounts at BGG, buy games through ads they see on BGG, and so on. I have, and while the data is anecdotal, it's consistent among those with whom I've spoken.

nate_lockhart wrote:
My point still stands. Shoddy distro and communications will impact sales negatively. All we are "arguing" over is by how much. It might be by .001% or 50%, we don't know. I have made no claims either way and only outlined possibilities. And I said I hope it does not impact the chances of an expansion. No need for anyone else to give me their opinion on how much it will or will not hurt sales.

Yes, your opinion still stands and it might hold up simply because you yourself don't buy any expansion released. That's a sure way of making it come true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang you are quick. I was coming back to delete that post as it sounded snot tier than I intended and you had already responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we agree that it is a game that seems like it would benefit from an expansion and it would be great if one were possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

Talk to store owners about what percentage of their customers are aware of BGG, have accounts at BGG, buy games through ads they see on BGG, and so on. I have, and while the data is anecdotal, it's consistent among those with whom I've spoken.

nate_lockhart wrote:

Yes, your opinion still stands and it might hold up simply because you yourself don't buy any expansion released. That's a sure way of making it come true!

I'll continue this for just one more post just to make sure I am clear and then I'll leave this perfectly fine thread for expansions as a thread for expansions. I'll read responses, I'm just not going to derail it myself any longer.

As to store owners and BGG accounts - I think it makes sense most customers do not have accounts. Most game stores do not have the majority of their sales or customers come from boardgames. Instead it comes from Magic and miniatures gaming. And I would wager a good bit of their boardgame sales come from people buying standard fare or people buying gifts. I highly doubt that many people walk in and buy a game of this type based on the box, but instead on recommendations or from playing with someone else. You can see my earlier post on how I think that could impact sales more than just a few pre-orders and I won't bother repeating it here. I like to think I've been pretty clear that that is hypothetical and I am not trying to pass it off as fact.

The only item I have claimed as fact is that it will impact sales in some way. I think it is a pretty safe bet that at least one person has cancelled a pre-order due to this, and therefore: sales impact. But I will concede that I don't have the time or care to go digging for a post where someone said they would just to prove it. (I distinctly remember one person posting that they were considering it, but that was me! ) I don't think we need to drop to that level anyway.

I haven't ever said it is "fact" that it will hurt them by a great deal, but I get the impression people think that is what I am saying. All I said is that it could/may. I openly stated that I was guessing and didn't know. I hope it doesn't hurt the game/expansions much. Again, just making clear what I was trying to convey.

Now back to your previously scheduled program on expansions.

Edit: And I really wasn't trying to be snotty with the "some data to back that up comment". I'm really curious how many sales come from BGG early adopters, from word of mouth/recommendation, from trial plays and from random purchases due to cover art or whatever. But I guess said data probably does not exist. I'm still curious though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.