Carlos Lamas
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night and ran into an unclear situation:

Beta Com's special ability reads something like "Successful Battle: 1VP" (I don't have the card in front of me).

What constitutes a successful battle? Is it each time a ship hits, or each time an "attack" action is taken? If the latter, what must the outcome be for it to be successful? All the enemy ships destroyed?

I searched the forums and didn't find a clarification on this.

(BTW, the game was a huge hit with my group.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just off the cuff I would think it means the opponent retreats or is eliminated (i.e., the Beta Com side wins the entire battle and attains their objective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buried near the bottom of the rulebook's 12th page, under the "ATTACK" heading, is this sentence: "To achieve a 'win a battle' result, you must destroy all of an opponent's ships on one space."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losdelfuego wrote:
We played last night and ran into an unclear situation:

Beta Com's special ability reads something like "Successful Battle: 1VP" (I don't have the card in front of me).

What constitutes a successful battle? Is it each time a ship hits, or each time an "attack" action is taken? If the latter, what must the outcome be for it to be successful? All the enemy ships destroyed?

I searched the forums and didn't find a clarification on this.

(BTW, the game was a huge hit with my group.)

To "win a battle", you must destroy all of an opponent's ships on the space where the attack action is taking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you know why I wear t-shirts and shorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says "Win a battle" (I don't have my tile in front of me to verify, but I'm fairly certain that's what it says).

"Win a battle" is defined on page 6 of the rules, kind of tucked away near the bottom:
Quote:
To achieve a "win a battle" result, you must destroy all of an opponent's ships on one space.

EDIT: Triple ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Lamas
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Lamas
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up question: that ability *only* applies when there are enemy ships present, correct? It is presumably not considered "battle" to successfully roll against a neutral planet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
losdelfuego wrote:
Follow-up question: that ability *only* applies when there are enemy ships present, correct? It is presumably not considered "battle" to successfully roll against a neutral planet?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
losdelfuego wrote:

Perhaps we're stubbornly trying to read corner cases where they don't belong, but we decided that if you spent an action to attack an opponent's planet where there were no ships, that was a successful battle even when no ships were destroyed. Thematically, this seemed to make sense to us -- presumably you've shown up with a fleet and destroyed something belonging to your opponent, and, in fact, destroyed all of whatever it is. Technically, of course, there are no ships to destroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
losdelfuego wrote:

Perhaps we're stubbornly trying to read corner cases where they don't belong, but we decided that if you spent an action to attack an opponent's planet where there were no ships, that was a successful battle even when no ships were destroyed. Thematically, this seemed to make sense to us -- presumably you've shown up with a fleet and destroyed something belonging to your opponent, and, in fact, destroyed all of whatever it is. Technically, of course, there are no ships to destroy.

And again I'm going to reverse myself. The rule is clear, so this is essentially an unjustified change. Thematically, there's no reason the Beta Com's couldn't be rejoicing in the glory of destroying an enemy in combat, and thus would not be nearly as pleased with merely displacing the enemy without a fight, either at an enemy planet or because the enemy retreated. We had to make a call in the middle of the game, and did what we felt was right, but we'll play this one by the book in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.