Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mythos Card entitled "Endlessly Breeding" includes a rumor whose effect, in addition to other things, is: "At the end of each Mythos phase, draw a second Mythos card and ignore everything on it except for its monster movement pattern."

Question: Does this second Mythos Card cause rift tokens to be placed in Kingsport? I would guess no, because it seems the intent is all about monsters, but technically, the monster movement pattern is linked to rifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say that the second Mythos card does NOT meet the Rift criterion of "Each time a mythos card is resolved," since the card is NOT being resolved, but largely ignored. If the rule for Rifts where "Every time Monsters moved," that would be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
I would have to say that the second Mythos card does NOT meet the Rift criterion of "Each time a mythos card is resolved," since the card is NOT being resolved, but largely ignored. If the rule for Rifts where "Every time Monsters moved," that would be different.
Except that "every time Monsters move" would require that Monsters actually move. The Rift mechanism merely requires you to check whether "the monster movement pattern on it matches any of the patterns next to a closed rift". It's the symbols that trigger the rift, not the movement of Monsters.

But (and I have a big but) it's the "Resolve a Mythos" aspect of the Rift mechanism that is important (as you indicate) and the Rumour certainly isn't asking you to resolve a Mythos. So I agree with your evaluation Radulla (should that be worth anything at all )

What would make the Rumour totally nasty would be if the Rift mechanism said "every time a Mythos is Drawn, if the monster movement pattern on it matches any of the patterns next to a closed rift...". Still, that would be the more fun way to interpret it; anything else would be the decision of a lightweight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm going to play it that Endlessly Breeding does NOT affect rift development.

Thanks for your well-considered answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to suggest that you would because you ignore everything BUT the pattern and the pattern is what causes the rifts.

Plus we always go with when in doubt go with what makes it harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Plus we always go with when in doubt go with what makes it harder.

Words to live by, both in Arkham and in the bedroom whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.