United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, first post

I was considering getting Stone Age based on the suggestions that it would be similar to Settlers of Catan.

I have read the rules and seen video explanations. My question is: can the game be played with a trading variant? In other words, can the game be played with free trading between players of the resources? If not, what mechanic causes this to fail? I am aware that the Style is the Goal expansion has a trading component, but can this be done without it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried it, but I can't think of a reason off the top of my head for why it wouldn't work. Maybe follow the same rule as Settlers - you can only trade on your turn or with the player who's taking their turn. One effect I can foresee is the devaluing of blocking out another player on resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the new expansion - Stone Age: The Expansion has rules for trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
One effect I can foresee is the devaluing of blocking out another player on resources.

I don't think it would by a lot. I don't play 4P very often - more of a 2P fan. Trading in a 2P game would be interesting "after" blocking someone. I would actually like to see this variant in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
I believe the new expansion - Stone Age: The Expansion has rules for trading.

I think the OP means trading between players. (I haven't read the rules to the expansion just yet though ... but I thought I saw something to the effect where you trade with a market)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluestank wrote:
Hi everyone, first post

I was considering getting Stone Age based on the suggestions that it would be similar to Settlers of Catan.

I have read the rules and seen video explanations. My question is: can the game be played with a trading variant? In other words, can the game be played with free trading between players of the resources? If not, what mechanic causes this to fail? I am aware that the Style is the Goal expansion has a trading component, but can this be done without it?

Thanks!

It should work. To me, this sort of thing most closest resembles Roll Through The Ages, which has optional rules for trading. It would make for an even more interactive game, but would make the gametime even longer.

My groups I've played with aren't that quick, so for us, a game of SA would take 30 min. per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think trading would dramatically change the game - enough so that something would be thrown out of whack. As somebody mentioned earlier, blocking would become less valuable since there would always be another way to get the same resources. I wonder if turn order might not also become much more crucial, given that everybody performs all of their actions all at once (there's already a little of this from the civilization cards that give you random stuff).

I'm not saying that trading would be a terrible addition, but it'd be nearly impossible for it not to unbalance the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
blocking would become less valuable since there would always be another way to get the same resources.

That's assuming that the person who is trading with you doesn't run you over the coals to give you the resource you want. What's to say you can't trade resource cards as well as resources? If you want my 2 gold bars, it will probably cost more than 12 resource points worth of wood and brick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think turn-order would be critical if you allowed trading. I would be much more willing to trade with someone who had just used all their meeples than someone who was about to take their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oz Me
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the new expansion. It allows limited trading and it works without changing the flavor of the game.

You also get to have a fifth player and it comes with "The New Huts" as well as the Style rules.

Some pretty cool new huts specific to the expansion too. Think private gold mine and private forest preserves.

----

I think "open trading" as it is suggested in the original post is a game breaker. Not that it wouldn't work but because it changes the flavor of the game. I prefer that my various games not "all play" like Catan... or any other one look and feel. I might as well play Monopoly. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.