Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I need to thin my collection out, I've not got hundreds but it's mostly my gf and I who play with but sometimes with family and friends. Here's my current collection http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/s1mon?own=1&subtype...

Some haven't been played yet blush what should I keep that plays well with two and what should I keep that will play well with non gamer friends and family.

I'm going to definatley keep things like Rivals for Catan, Hive, Catan and Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

Is there any must haves I should add instead ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Is there any must haves I should add instead ?

The very fact that you've asked this question will inevitably doom your good intentions.

In all seriousness, if you're thinning out your collections I'd keep all but a few of the games that require a larger crowd, since it doesn't sound like you play with more than two all that often. Non-gamers are usually happier to stick with a few tried-and-trues, rather than learning new stuff all the time.

I would also consider getting rid of games that have nearly equivalent counterparts.

And finally I'd get rid of really light games or really heavy games whose weight always dissuades you.

If your collection were my collection, I'd get rid of the following:

Core Worlds or Eminent Domain (very roughly similar)
The City (similar to RFTG)
Parade, Guillotine, Mamma Mia (way too light)
Kingsburg (I hate this game)
TransAmerica or TransEuropa
One of your Innovations
Invasion from Outer Space or Last Night on Earth (similar)

And choose only a handful of the following 2p+ games:

Citadels, For Sale, Jamaica, Monopoly Deal, RoboRally, Manhattan, Steam, Survive, Fzzzt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that were my collection and I was in your situation, I would consider keeping:

-Pandemic (good with 2 and non-gamers)
-Lost Cities (good with 2 and non-gamers)
-Ticket to Ride (good with non-gamers, not good with 2 players)
-For Sale (not playable with 2, but good with non-gamers and supports 6 in a short time)
-Citadels (haven't tried with 2 but seems good, good with non-gamers and supports 8)

And maybe one of these if your girlfriend likes deeper games, but not both:
-Race for the Galaxy (good with 2, not good with non-gamers)
-Puerto Rico (I like it best with 2, though I'm in the minority, OK with non-gamers)

That's of the ones I've played; I won't speculate on the ones I've never tried, since I'm sure you could find someone to defend keeping any of those Good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could start by getting rid of one of those two copies of Innovation

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to know why you 'need' to thin out your collection. Is it for reasons of space (in which case you should probably keep the ones you and your gf like most with some that scale upwards for more players) because some of them will never get played (in which case the choice of what to get rid of is easy!) or because you feel you have too many games (which many people here will argue is simply not possible?

I am in a similar situation to you, playing most of my games in 2, and I have a collection of about 50 which, for the moment, is reasonably stable. I think you should aim for a core selection of 2-player games which play in an hour or so. I'm not much use in telling you what to get rid of, but once you've cleared out you should consider the following for a start...

Glen More (2+ players, a gem if you like Carcassonne)
7 Wonders (2 and all the way up to 7)
Dominion (2+, hugely gf friendly!)
Aton (2 only, but a gem)
Agricola, or at least the new 2-player version.
Battle Line (2 only, a step up from Lost Cities)
Basilica (2 only, sits somewhere between Carc and Glen More)

Hope this helps..!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space is one of the reasons and I think I seem to have too many games similier to each other. Also alot of games I've played at my local gaming group and there great so I order a copy only to find it's just not the same with no gamers or too complex to teach my gf so she looses interest if I'm looking at the rule book for her whistle

I'll get rid of the newer Innovation, I think the original is better.

Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition I've only played as a 4 or 5 player and with gamers so it's great, I've not tried it withmy gf, i don't think she'll like it.

We both didn't really like Dominion or Agricola and I've played the later with more and gamers and I'm still not fussed on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
We both didn't really like Dominion or Agricola and I've played the later with more and gamers and I'm still not fussed on it.

Yeah, I think more important advice than what I said is to keep what you like. It may sound obvious, but it's not worth the time and space to hang on to a game just because it's popular. Sure, some games get better if you play them 20+ times, but if you've got other games you enjoy and especially if you don't play all the time, it's not often worth it to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goals:

High Interaction
Simplicity in Learning
Relatively Short Time Investment

Keepers:

Ideology: The Board Game (good with non-gamers)
Bohnanza (good with non-gamers)
Citadels (excellent with 2, good with non-gamers)
Core Worlds (a good deeper game)
Evolution: Origin of Species (good with non-gamers)
Glory to Rome (excellent wit 2)
Innovation (excellent with 2)
Kingsburg (good with non-gamers, a good deeper game)
Pandemic (consider buying the expansion) (a good deeper game, good with non-gamers)
Rivals of Catan (good with 2 players)
Settlers of Catan (a good deeper game, good with non-gamers)
Survive: Escape from Atlantis (good with non-gamers, poor with less than 4 players)

This gives you a good mix of card games and traditional board games, both for 2 players and with more. You have some quick games in there and some longer, deeper, more traditional games.

For a good 2-player game with a family-friendly theme, I recommend picking up Nature of the Beast. Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest

Evo also makes for a nice traditional board game if you have 3-5 players and is great for non-gamers. Evo

I like your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dont get rid of your card games. They dont take up much space, and they are nice to have around. Especially Parade!!!

I would approach your collection by frequency of games played and setting a limit of games you think would be tolerable for a decent collection.

You dont have any of your games rated. Keep your favorites. Start by getting rid of the ones you dont play much with your S.O. Keep like 2-3 games for family and friends that you know they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
Dont get rid of your card games. They dont take up much space, and they are nice to have around. Especially Parade!!!

Yep I'll probably keep most of them for this reason.

Gave my gf a list of all my games and said tick the one's you like,
Archaeology: The Card Game
Bohnanza
Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition
Carcassonne: The Castle
Citadels
The Climbers
Spot it!
For Sale
FITS
Guillotine
Hive
Innovation
Mamma Mia!
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Mr. Jack
Pandemic
RoboRally
Catan
Steam but she's never played it
Takenoko
Tally-Ho
Ticket to Ride: Europe
TransAmerica
Trans Europa

I haven't decided on what I want yet, but can I shorten that list ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
I haven't decided on what I want yet, but can I shorten that list ?

Again, if it were me (so take with a grain of salt), I'd select the ones I like the most out of that list, make sure I'm not dumping her absolute favorites, and then you're left with only games that are favorites of one of you and liked by the other - a good place to be! In particular, I'd focus on cutting ones that don't play well (or at all) with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How I have started to bookmark games is by using folders as "shelves." The top games go on the top shelf. Find out what games of those listed go on the top shelf for both of you and then go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dang dood. Look at your card games as a normal deck of cards. They really shouldnt be counted as part of your 'boardgame' collection.

I went through the same thing you did. From 120 games down to what I have now at 29. Count only the games that contain a board. Hehe. It's justified to keep the card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I've put all the card games to one side.

I've sorted out what hasen't been played or what hasen't been played as a two player. We'll have to give these a game or two and then decide on them. These are,

Evolution: The Origin of Species
Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition
Core Worlds
Eminent Domain
Steam
Mundus Novus
GOSU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
Count only the games that contain a board. Hehe.

I like this idea! Carcassonne and Catan have just vanished from my "board" game collection, and now I need more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not going well shake I've only managed to put aside 6 that I'm sure I don't want.

What should I keep for,

must have 2 player games.
2 player heavier games
family & non gamer freindly

I think the above fits what I should only have in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think that truthfully you already know which games can go and which to keep, I know I did when I recently went through and sold a few, you either like a game enough that you will play it and enjoy it often enough that it is worth keeping or you dont. I got rid of Twilight Imperium 3 because it was never going to get played often enough that people would be familiar enough with to play it well. I got rid of Funny friends because it had a theme I could not imagine going across too well with my normal gaming partners. Other stuff went simply because I knew that deep down I was never going to get it out and play it.

Only you can make these sorts of choices, but if you approach it in a calm and rational way you will soon pick out those games that are not your core games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've got Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition should I get rid of Carcassonne: The Castle or the other way round ?

So far I know I keeping,

Catan it's a classic and it's easy to teach non gamers.
Takenoko again easy to teach and my gf likes it,
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! another easy to teach with nice components but has some nasty game play about it arrrh
Jamaica again nice board and I think it's a heavier non gamer game. Plus it supports upto 6 where as the others are 4.

I might add a train game in, I think TransAmerica is better than Ticket to Ride: Europe

I think that should do for my family/non gamer section.

What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.