Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
... and something I'd never thought of occurred to me.

Towards the start of the movie we know that ewoks wanted to eat Luke and Han in their feast to honor C3PO, so eating humans isn't something they'd have a problem with.

Fast forward to the victory feast at the end, and suddenly the ewok playing a tune on the empty trooper helmets takes on much darker undertones. I can't help but wonder if the main course at the party wasn't Stormtrooper stew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Isn't it bad form to hold a feast of any species while that same species is in attendance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
And everyone complains that the Ewoks are too cute and cuddly.

That's funny because I just watched Jedi yesterday. My one question that I've never figured out is, what did that Super Star Destroyer crash into? They were away from the Death Star bracketing the Rebel ships so they couldn't escape, and yet it crashes into what looks like a metal planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

That's funny because I just watched Jedi yesterday. My one question that I've never figured out is, what did that Super Star Destroyer crash into? They were away from the Death Star bracketing the Rebel ships so they couldn't escape, and yet it crashes into what looks like a metal planet.

I've always assumed that in their death spiral they crashed into the Death Star. The Death Star was so large that it barely felt the impact. I just took the shot as "Hey, remember how big this Star Destroyer was? Yeah. Now THIS is how big the Death Star is."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Isn't it bad form to hold a feast of any species while that same species is in attendance?

Well that depends. If it is the same feast where your 'god' (C3PO) is also present I think normal rules no longer apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:

What I don't get is why, when it loses control, it plunges into the Death Star like it was falling into a black hole. As big as it was, the Death Star wouldn't have that strong a gravitational field. Also, why the enormous gout of flame? Did it just happen to fall into the Death Star's gas tank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, we watched it again recently too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Purdy
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the eating of humans: Stormtroopers aren't technically humans, they are clones, so chow down! (I might even tuck in, if I hadn't eaten already.)

Yes, the Super Star-Destroyer (Admiral Ackbar's name for that ship) crashed into the Death Star. It was rather easy to knock out, though, just blow up the big fuel tanks on top, then crash a ship into the bridge. (Does that remind anyone of how they dealt with the bad guys on Independence Day? Hard to believe it was figured out by a drunk Randy Quaid, but I digress.)

My question about SW:ROTJ is, if Luke is a full-blown Jedi, why did he need to throw the skull to hit the door switch to kill the Rancor? Why not just wave his hand like all the cool Jedi would do? Of course, I thought of this as a 12 year old, simply because the skull kinda scared me...

I'm much better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There was another scene where just blowing up one of those Geodesic Dome Houses on top of the ship ends up blowing up the whole Star Destroyer.

Talk about yer design flaws.
That geodesic dome thing was one of the shield generators.

So... why wasn't the shield generator, you know, shielded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weel, then they'd need to build domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators.

Then, of course you need domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators.

Then, of course...

....well, you get the idea. Pretty soon the whole ship is just one big flying dome looking thing, and who'd want that??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Weel, then they'd need to build domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators.

Then, of course you need domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators that protect the domes for the shield generators.

Then, of course...

....well, you get the idea. Pretty soon the whole ship is just one big flying dome looking thing, and who'd want that??
Sounds like you've just described the Death Star. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This thread makes me twitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
turf wrote:
Stormtroopers aren't technically humans, they are clones

They're human clones, so of course they are human.

If you don't think clones of humans are human, I hope you don't know any identical twins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
turf wrote:
Regarding the eating of humans: Stormtroopers aren't technically humans, they are clones, so chow down! (I might even tuck in, if I hadn't eaten already.)

Um, can we leave that prequel nonsense out of this discussion that relates to a good movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
turf wrote:

Aren't we supposed to assume that by this point, they're a mix of clones and regular folks? Or all reg'lar folks? After all, Biggs was planning to become Imperial Cannon Fodder before he jumped ship and joined the rebellion, right?
I believe it was about a 50-50 split of clones and volunteers by the time Episode VI rolled around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turf wrote:

Yes, the Super Star-Destroyer (Admiral Ackbar's name for that ship) crashed into the Death Star. It was rather easy to knock out, though, just blow up the big fuel tanks on top, then crash a ship into the bridge. (Does that remind anyone of how they dealt with the bad guys on Independence Day? Hard to believe it was figured out by a drunk Randy Quaid, but I digress.)

My question about SW:ROTJ is, if Luke is a full-blown Jedi, why did he need to throw the skull to hit the door switch to kill the Rancor? Why not just wave his hand like all the cool Jedi would do? Of course, I thought of this as a 12 year old, simply because the skull kinda scared me...

I'm much better now.

Not to get into a geek war, but from my understanding, troopers are NOT clones. Clones fought in the clone wars, but clones age like everyone else, they are not immortal. The empire had to replace them with regular humans. This is why Luke mentions about going to the "academy" like Biggs and (someone else). Tat would be the imperial academy. Biggs apparently defected to the rebels when he saw what was really going on. Also Han apparently used to be an imperial until he saw how they were treating Wookiee captives and decided to free one. Not to mention that every imperial officer is obviously not a clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The NPR radio dramas have this scene where Biggs comes back on leave from the academy and tells Luke that a bunch of the recruits are jumping ship at the next stop and joining the rebellion.

I can't remember if that was in Lucas's novelization or not.

I read Lucas' novelization "way back when" it first came out, and I'm pretty sure that scene is not in it. Luke talks to Biggs at the beginning just before he leaves to join the academy, then doesn't see him again until they get to Yavin.

Must be in one of the umpteen other Star Wars novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
turf wrote:

I'm much better now.

Not to get into a geek war, but from my understanding, troopers are NOT clones. Clones fought in the clone wars, but clones age like everyone else, they are not immortal. The empire had to replace them with regular humans. This is why Luke mentions about going to the "academy" like Biggs and (someone else). Tat would be the imperial academy. Biggs apparently defected to the rebels when he saw what was really going on. Also Han apparently used to be an imperial until he saw how they were treating Wookiee captives and decided to free one. Not to mention that every imperial officer is obviously not a clone.
True, not all stormtroopers were clones, but definitely a good percentage of them were during Eps IV - VI. This actually came up in one of the games I worked on -- whether or not we should use different voice actors for the stormtroopers in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brit Suttell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always figured that some of the stormtroopers from SW:ANH were still clones because of Princess Leia's line to Luke about being "a little small for a stormtrooper."

Getting back to the original post though - I had never made the connection between the Ewok's eating habits and the helmets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the clones would be a little old by then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
It's a shame that they never made Star Wars: Episode VI. Somehow, Revenge of the Jedi got stuck in Pre-Production hell, and the last Star Wars movie never got made.

According to rumor, Lucas went on to helm some other big budget juvenile films. They must be talking about Howard the Duck.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GreenDude wrote:
Surely the clones would be a little old by then?

40ish, surely! Luke is 19 in A New Hope IIRC.

Besides, there could be later batches of clones. Forgive me if I'm forgetting something from those f***ing prequels, but there's no reason to think they couldn't have kept on making them, is there?

I can't believe I'm having this conversation. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Blott wrote:
Um, can we leave that prequel nonsense out of this discussion that relates to a good movie?

Which movie is that? You have seen Return of the Jedi, right?

(ETA: I'm exaggerating for comedy porpoises. I do like Return, but I also think it's deeply flawed. And the prequels aren't without merit. They just could have been so much better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.