4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Soccer game (footchess) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Reis
Portugal
flag msg tools
Take a look at it and tell me what you think...
Is this game in the right track to see the lights of the day?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alberto,

I stopped after 2 minutes watching.

Although you've got my attention for the first moves, there are two things that disturbed me:

A soccer team has 11 players per side
The movement took place only in the middle of the board; I wasn't able to spot attack moves or defences.

If you want to do a soccer simulation at this level, you should make sure that the pawns move in a more realistic way (which is hard to simulate, because you'd need some kind of simulataneous movement of all pawns).

But this is only my opinion meeple

Good luck with your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Reis
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi Ron,
I really appreciate your constructive critics. And i'll try to answer in the most accurate way possible.

11vs11 was considered at first, and is still being considered, but given the fact that the game is turn based the board game would take much longer than a real football match. Keeping the game fun and simple is a major goal, yet, complex enough to get the feel of a football/soccer match.

This way the game is over after about 40min and the results have varied from 1-0 to 4-4 so far in testing. BTW more testers are needed

About the play that took place. It was just my option (netherlands) given the situation. My opponent (portugal) tried to attack through the wings although he was tackled by my defender (during the game, cards will determine which players you have good at tackling, passing, moving, dribbling and shooting). It was risky to attack through the middle because i was able to be tackled by 3 players but since he left an open space and i already had a strong dribbler(nr5) i took that chance.

This video was about 1/4 of the total game. The end game is totally different than then first moves when all players are weak and slow.
Once you have good passers things like crossings and through passes will be more likely to happen, especially because they can save you action points vs just moving a player around with the ball. Just be careful with off-sides.

I understand your concern about orthogonal movement in a squared board. Diagonals are not realistic , but a decision had to be made and keeping it simple and intuitive was again the factor that made me go for the squared board.

If you enjoy football/soccer which i believe you do, I hope you have a chance to try the game and maybe you'll have a second opinion on it.

By the way, did i mention that testers are needed? meeple

Best regards,

Alberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alberto,

I'll talk to wifey, if she wants to playtest your game with me. We are both soccer fans and gamers meeple

Playing the game will surely leave different impressions than just watching a video!

Ron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.