mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the intro scenario solo and plan to teach my
group how to play on it - but soon after they're gonna
wonna rumble hardcore...

So I'd like to know which scenario and/or variants from the
rule set is the best for our group which:

- Plays only the full game of TtA because we love the
complexity.

- Has unlimited time. Multiple sessions to complete is fine.

- Wants the most highly challenging game possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full Conquest, with higher level cities, will provide the biggest game with the toughest challenges right off the bat. If you're looking for challenge, start with the cities at level 6 (the lowest level with 4 units IIRC) and if that's still to easy for you, well, they go up to 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Full Conquest, with higher level cities, will provide the biggest game with the toughest challenges right off the bat. If you're looking for challenge, start with the cities at level 6 (the lowest level with 4 units IIRC) and if that's still to easy for you, well, they go up to 11.

Thanks. Can I ask which variants you play with as well (to make it the most challenging)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvP is a good one to have, for that added threat, but generally I think the variants make the game harder in a sort of random way, which I dislike in MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvP is a standard part of the game. "No PvP" would be a variant.

Random tile orientation makes the game much better, imho. I wouldn't play without this, if I had a choice. With fixed tile orientation, you start to know the tiles and plan ahead for the likely possibilities in the "unexplored" territory, which seems wrong to me and makes the game less fun.

Higher level cities is not a great variant imho because it places too much value on a few cards that scale very well when fighting more enemies. If you were going to use higher level cities than the standard levels, I would also recommend you try the cooperative city conquest rules (but I haven't done either).

We always assign heroes at random, to avoid the same heroes being chosen every time. (Also, the standard rules say that the player with first choice of hero gets the "disadvantage" of last choice of tactics card, but in a 2p game I think that's often an advantage.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.