Subject: Has My Daughter Become a Gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we had to get a babysitter for our 4 yr. old and 5 month old. Our oldest was pretty excited because the last time Emma babysat they had a lot of fun.

As my wife went over the evening schedule for Emma, my oldest came up to me to tell me what Emma and her were going to do.

"Daddy, maybe Emma and me could play some games in your games room? We could play Umblin Dice (Tumblin' Dice) or Zitternix or Sleepy Princess or Blokus but not the pirate game (Der Schwartze Pirat) because Emma doesn't know how to play that."

This is the first time she has ever asked to play games without me there either playing directly with her or just letting her play a game her own way with me in the room. My heart was filled with joy. I think she is becoming a gamer.

When I got home I got,

"Daddy, me and Emma played Blokus and Sleepy Princess but we didn't play Zitternix. And we cleaned up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Craine
United States
Nottingham
NH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! I recently got into this hobby, but I have gotten some games that me and my two boys enjoy. My oldest, 6, has gotten his grandparents playing too now

Good luck with your future geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience girls tend to lose interest in games around ages 10-12. But they may pick it up again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are making me excited for September 3rd (wife's due date)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a gamer in the making to me. My dear Lady X, now 11, began the "can we play this game" at 4 years of age and never stopped. Now, her younger sister, Princess Rose (8 years), has followed in her footsteps so I have two gamers in the house.

You will truly understand when your daughter has reached the "I am gamer" when she shows you her "I beat Daddy" dance.

Trust me.... it will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Has kohlhatter's daughter become a gamer? M8B -> My sources say no -> My sources say no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 130801. LurkingMeeple
  • M8B =
  • My sources say no =
  • My sources say no
  • Fri May 18, 2012 6:33 pm
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boo. Let's try that again. Has kohlhatter's daughter become a gamer? M8B -> Outlook not so good -> Outlook not so good

Edit: Clearly the 8-ball is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 130803. LurkingMeeple
  • M8B =
  • Outlook not so good =
  • Outlook not so good
  • Fri May 18, 2012 6:36 pm
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When she buys a game with her allowance money, you know for sure she's a gamer. My 11 year old just bought Dungeon Petz. But I already knew he was a hard-core gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
Daddy, maybe Emma and me could play some games in your games room

I assume you said "Absolutely not, you might bend a card or spill something. You may not even go into the games room unless I am with you. And anyway, I haven't had time to sleeve all my cards."

(That's sarcasm, by the way. Just putting things in perspective.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
kohlhatter wrote:
Daddy, maybe Emma and me could play some games in your games room

I assume you said "Absolutely not, you might bend a card or spill something. You may not even go into the games room unless I am with you. And anyway, I haven't had time to sleeve all my cards."

(That's sarcasm, by the way. Just putting things in perspective.)

Well, she knows that she is only allowed in there with an adult. I have her trained. I also specified when we built the house that the door could be locked and I have the key. Can't be too cautious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
In my experience girls tend to lose interest in games around ages 10-12. But they may pick it up again later.

That's exactly what happened to me! My 10 year old daughter lost interest in games. I'm hopeful that someday she'll rekindle her interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! Your daughter sounds adorable! I love hearing about kids getting excited over games! I have a 4yr too and she was planning my day off with her:

"I'm going to clean up, do some coloring and clean so that we can play lots of games. I have a lot I want to play"

Now if only we could find game groups for our kids right? lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Ack don't freak me out like that..... Only 3 years left to game with my Daughter!!! Noooooooooo.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:

"Daddy, me and Emma played Blokus and Sleepy Princess but we didn't play Zitternix. And we cleaned up."

Time will tell if she's truly a gamer. My eldest went on to major in Game Art at Full Sail University where she now works. Daughter #2 plays World of Warcraft when she has time and is working on a novel.

The signs as they grew up were different in each case. Daughter #1 is definitely more hard core about gaming, and she was more interested in the dragon (in the fairy tales) than the princess. Yes, she had a collection of "My Little Pony" too, but...she loved to solve puzzles, and the analytical mind demonstrated itself in her choice of activities in the monthly Highlights and Games Magazine.

She cut her gaming teeth watching mommy play MYST and all the sequels... "How to Host a Murder" Live RPGs, Yugioh! and Sony Playstation games. (This was before Catan, etc)

Daughter #2 isn't so much "the puzzler" but she likes a challenge. She is into the social aspect of games. Joining a guild in WOW, for example... and collecting "cool" stuff.

Enjoy these times! They grow up too fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.