Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey everyone,

Hope this idea isnt too ridiculous!

Would there be any interest for a PnP contest with the theme of "deck building dice game"?

I.e. think Quarriors!, I think the idea of these types of games is great and would love to see what people can come up with...

As an idea, it would be cool if people could come up with a way to use D6's and modify them simply by physically changing the die rather than stickering over it I.e. carving the the pips into something else and using marker to accentuate this, if that makes sense? A soldering iron or $2 store AA battery powered engraver might work well to change pips to pictures or shapes?

Perhaps the theme should just be dice modification rather than dice deck building, therefore allowing games similar to zombie dice?

Cards and boards (small boards like no more than A4 size) should be allowed, but the dice need to be the main component.

And I think it would be preferable if a game lie this played out in around 30 mins, so short and sweet rather than lengthy and overly serious.

Anyway, I would love it if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Peter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if a lot of people would go for the idea of tampering with their own dice. One mistake and the die is useless. Plus, some people will refuse to play with dice that you have adjusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to modify a die is to modify a table and then just use the regular die.
I'm currently developing a game with such system, you can take a look at page 5 of the rules for explanation:
https://www.box.com/s/qkelyakq3kgtmonpiksc
Kind of cheating around original problem, no physical modification required :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interested in a "PnP dice building game" context.. might be fun to push mind that way a bit..

expecting to see look up tables.. and perhaps various sizes / colors / number of sided dice.

But.. actually engraving the dice?.. I'm a no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do engraving.

I might use a marker, but would probably just throw some stickers on some plain dollar-store dice. At least until I was convinced the game was worth a larger investment.

Without stickers or engraving, it seems like the main key to a dice-building game would be to have lots of different colors of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
building game would be to have lots of different colors of dice.

Indeed.. either diff colors.. or I can even see different number of sides.

Each player's supply starts with the single set of common dice (d6, d8, d12, d20) in their player color. They start with a d6.. have to somehow earn rights to purchase more dice.

Maybe not much there.. perhaps you start with a set of d6's... and thus each player must supply enough dice in their color?

Lots to work with here.. so.. certainly a possible design contest.. if more are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a big problem comes from dice already having pips, numbers or what have you on them. That makes it a lot harder to modify in any way that won't just make a mess of them. When starting with blank dice there is at least a clean surface to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is the problem that the dice would no longer be balanced if you altered the original weight of sides with engraving or stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you could use something like Lego dice, where the faces are interchangeable plates.

I bought a bunch of them off BrickLink a while back
(http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=11&itemID=86770)
and have been trying to come up with good game ideas.

Seems like they might be what you are looking for. Unfortunately, unless you get Lego as a publisher, you probably can't use them in any commercial capacity. =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games you can pirate dice from.... Yahtzee Jr. is one that comes to mind... as well as other games.

You can also hit up sites like --

http://blankdice.co.uk/

I'd be game for a contest like this, if the main focus was to be dice. You could add categories ---

Best Dice Deck Building Game
Best Express Game
etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.