Popular Tags: [View All]
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally keep to myself around here. I've posted general info about myself, but tend to stay away from the overtly personal (I think only a handful around here know my real name). But it's a bit different tonight.

I debated if I should let folks know when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer in 2010. Stage IV Pancreatic cancer.

She was told she may have a few weeks on the outside, unless she had the less deadly kind, which was a 1 in 10000 chance. She might live till Thanksgiving, or Christmas if she was lucky.

She had the less deadly kind. So she started chemo, being told it was another longshot the tumor would even respond. It responded. After several rounds of the worst chemo beat-down, my grandmother was radient still. Maybe thinner, less hair, but still tough and beautiful.

She fell and broke her hip while on a trip out to visit us and they post-poned her after-chemo assessment, to give her time to recover. When she went in again, they said the tumor on the pancreas was gone, but there were spots on her liver still.

When asked if she wanted to continue chemo, her response was, "That isn't living," and opted for hospice care so she could die with dignity.

Well, she passed away tonight. Nearly two years after the original diagnosis. We were blessed to have more time with her and I will miss her terribly.

It's a strange twist of fate. We all thought she would outlive my grandfather. He's had 3 cancers (all caught early), had open heart surgery and 2 angioplasties. His blood pressure is high and he's got terrible arthritis. He'll be burying his wife next week.

I thought I had time to grieve. I thought I wouldn't be too sad. But it's hard. I will miss her. When I go to Texas, she will not be there with my grandfather. I grew up near them, from as early as I can remember until I moved here to California when I was 21. They had a huge influence on me.

So I'm posting this, because even though I'm a third-string Chit Chatter, I certainly feel like a part of this crazy crew.

Thanks for listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
soblue I cannot offer you any timely words but I can offer my prayers.

mister lunch wrote:
I certainly feel like a part of this crazy crew.

You are!
mister lunch wrote:
Thanks for listening.

Thank you for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
soblue I cannot offer you any timely words but I can offer my prayers.

mister lunch wrote:
I certainly feel like a part of this crazy crew.

You are!
mister lunch wrote:
Thanks for listening.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your condolences and prayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can still picture the last time I saw my Grandma - about 40 years ago. She was so sweet.

The pain diminishes, but never goes away when you care (and that's a good thing - memory) all the best to you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm so sorry. You and your family have my condolences and my prayers as well.

And you are not a third-string Chit Chatter!

Hugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss my grandma terribly these past 11 years. And now I miss yours. Condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your loss. You never have time to grieve until your loved one passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry, it's so hard to lose someone you love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry. No one should have to go through this, but we all do anyway. soblue

It sounds like she went out on her own terms. Rejecting the second round of chemo wasn't easy for anyone, but it was probably the right thing to do. Sounds like she was a great, brave woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Sun
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*hug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your kind words. They mean a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Condolences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost both my grandmothers to pancreatic cancer. First in my 20s. The second in my 30s. Two great ladies I loved dearly. I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My condolences. Cancer sucks indeed.

We are also currently dealing with a cancer in the family (father-in-law). Not fun at all. He's on radiation therapy right now, but is still somehow able to go out golfing anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry for your loss.

I lost my grandmother almost 4 years ago - also to cancer; hers was in the liver and the lungs. I miss her a lot, but feel happy when I feel her presence from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry for your loss. You definitely have my thoughts and prayers.

And I know how much cancer sucks.. my Dad passed away a few years ago at just 58 from a cancerous sarcoma that started in the pancreatic area... he lasted about a month after it was finally diagnosed... The feeling of absence is a lot less now, but I do still miss him at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am sorry for your loss. I lost my "graham cracker" years ago and it still stings a bit. As kids we started calling her that because she would hand out grahams to us whenever we asked and always had boxes of them at the ready. I cannot think of them without thinking of her. I truly do want smores of my grandma.

My heartfelt condolences go out to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your loss. Treasure her memory, and hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
My condolences. Cancer sucks indeed.

My grandmother died the same way hers was lung cancer tho, I suppose the good part was, we had time to come to terms with it. To cherish the time we had. Not like when my uncle died in a car crash. That seemed harder.
Our thoughts are with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
Well, she passed away tonight. Nearly two years after the original diagnosis. We were blessed to have more time with her and I will miss her terribly.

My condolences.

When my dad was diagnosed with "meta-static cancer of the liver, pancreas, and adrenal glands" it was at the end of October, 1997. At that time the doctor told him to go home and get his affairs in order, as he had probably six weeks to six months to live. They started an aggressive chemo run, but he only completed one treatment before dying on Christmas Eve (which happened to be trophywife's and my first anniversary). He had lasted eight weeks after the diagnosis.

It's been fifteen years and I still miss him, especially after my mom passed away unexpectedly in 2004 (complications from a stroke).

I think you *were* blessed to have your grandmother for an extra two years. Cherish her memory and that "bonus time" you had with her.

Be sure to tell the people you love how you feel every time you see them, because you may never get another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry for your loss!!

You are NOT a 3rd string Chit Chatter........who said that? I'll just beat them up!

Cancer is horrible, I lost both of my grandfathers to it before I was 10 years old. I never met my father-in-law because he died from cancer 3 years before I met my husband.

Stay strong. I do know your real name, if you recall!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I light this single candle:

For you, in your loss;

For us, in our community;

For the human condition, which we cannot escape, nor would we ever want to.

Blessings, Gratitude, and Condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please accept my deepest condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a terrible disease. My condolences. Your grandmother must have been a wonderful person to have such a thoughtful grandson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mister lunch wrote:
because even though I'm a third-string Chit Chatter, I certainly feel like a part of this crazy crew.

If you're third-string then I'm fifth-string or so.

I'm sorry for your loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.