Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branden Smith
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
New Races:

Insectoid (12/18)- Every region owned by Insectoids can be taken for one less token, this continues into decline. (bugs travel in swarms and are squishy)

Titans (3/8)- When a race conquers a titan-owned region a titan token stays on the region collecting victory points, even into decline. The titan token then counts as a +1 defense bonus to the occupying race. (fallen titans, and size as defense)

Cloud-People (5/11)- All adjacent regions to a chosen Cloud-people owned region receive no victory points. (Cloud-people place cloud tokens on these regions to represent storms and lack of sunlight)

New Powers:

Migratory (5): Instead of final conquest, migratory races may place a single token in an adjacent non-occupied region.

Armor-Clad (4)-Three armor tokens can be attached to any three race tokens, chosen at the beginning of the turn. The armor counts as +1 attack and +1 defense. The three tokens go back into the player's hand when a region is conquered and is re-applied at the beginning of the player's next turn.

Feared (3)- When attacking an occupied region this race may roll the dice. On a 3, the defending races tokens flee back into the player's hand (except one token that runs away in fear back to the tray). If a three is not rolled, attack as normal.

Respected (4)- During final conquest this race may roll a die. If the dice roll produces a dotted side the defending army surrenders it's tokens. All tokens are placed into the tray and the respected race takes another race token to represent recruited soldiers.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally uninterested in effects too dependent on luck, so no comment on Feared and Respected.

Insectoids seem pretty cool. From an above ground standpoint they are a bit weaker than the pixies because of the persisting in decline effect, but from an underground perspective they are pretty strong because they have the resources to protect important places and relics. I'm not sure about giving them 12 though, 10 might be more suitable to keep their offensive power in check.

Titans feel a bit too much like White Ladies to me. Never liked that race in the first place.

Cloud People: not sure how well this would work. Seems like it could get out of hand.

Iron Clad: If you think about it, this is just a version of the "Hoards of" with the caveat that you cannot have your bonus tokens occupy a region alone. Hoards of technically gives you 5 race tokens + 2 race tokens and each race token is essentially +1 attack & defense anyways. Iron Clad gives 4 race tokens + 3 armor. That being said, I don't mind this at all. "Hoards of" is a great power, and although Iron Clad is strictly a restrictive version of it, it gives a different strategy than "Hoards of."

Migratoryis absolutely delightful. It might actually be a tad weak though. It's VP potential doesn't seem very high. I think it would be cool if you could place extra tokens from the tray on empty spaces, and have this start at 4. My favorite of the bunch, some form of this needs to be added to Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Smith
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
The insectoids, though, can place as many tokens in one region as they wish. However, in decline, much like bugs, they die very quickly. So, they act more as a quick VP fix. They rush out for a lot of VP and then are taken out by longer lasting races. I feel the 12 tokens fits because their harmful power is so effective.

The titans are very different from the White Ladies, in my opinion. White ladies are only valuable in decline, and cannot be occupied by any race. Much like many video games and media, armies take over lands that are occupied by fallen titans. A titan can occupy a land while active, and while in decline. However, other players can also occupy these lands at any time. This allows for the Titans to gain VP constantly and other races to strategically use titans as a defensive race. It seemed like a very unique idea to me.

Cloud-people were the race I was most skeptical of. However, chosing one region that forces other regions around it to not gain VP can be harmful and helpful. This essentially creates a wall in the map until the race goes into decline, forcing other races to fight among one another. Very useful in the long run.

I only made Armor-Clad because there was not an ability that involved advanced weaponry (other than catapult), and felt that the strategic placement of armor on specific units allowed for a more diverse array of army placement.

I really like your suggestion for migratory. Placing a token from the tray instead of your army is an excellent addition.

Feared and Respected add an aspect of luck I found lacking in the game and are very specific to the dice, that I also found lacking. As an avid role-player I am very used to dice related gameplay and the fact that the dice was used in only two situations was slightly annoying. I only made feared and respected to add an additional reason for the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
marbsarebad wrote:
New Races:

Insectoid (12/18)- Every region owned by Insectoids can be taken for one less token, this continues into decline. (bugs travel in swarms and are squishy)

Seems fair. Similar to the pixies for obvious reasons. You definitely don't need to worry about their offense getting out of hand since any square with just 1 token on it will be attacked relentlessly.

Quote:

Titans (3/8)- When a race conquers a titan-owned region a titan token stays on the region collecting victory points, even into decline. The titan token then counts as a +1 defense bonus to the occupying race. (fallen titans, and size as defense)

I saw this in your previous thread. It's not bad. The only thing I would add is what happens when a shared region is conquered by a third party. I would suggest that if a region occupied by both a Titan and another race is conquered that the Titan is killed at that point because they are a little too strong compared to white ladies otherwise.

Quote:
Cloud-People (5/11)- All adjacent regions to a chosen Cloud-people owned region receive no victory points. (Cloud-people place cloud tokens on these regions to represent storms and lack of sunlight)

Hmmmmmm Similar to thieving from SWU. A bit weak casue at best it only gives them a indirect benefit. What happens when the chosen cloud person is killed? I'd give the cloud people a cloud token which is placeable in a region and makes the region immune to attack and affects the adjacent regions (sorta like cultists).

Quote:
Migratory (5): Instead of final conquest, migratory races may place a single token in an adjacent non-occupied region.

Extremely weak and pathetic. The best case scenario is you take a mountain with it and even in that case it's very inferior to Dragon Master. It's usually not a good idea to give an attribute a growing ability (at least in the base game) cause most races can't utilize it well. I know SWU had vampire but SWU also doesn't really have any race that can grow out to be very large in number.

Quote:
Armor-Clad (4)-Three armor tokens can be attached to any three race tokens, chosen at the beginning of the turn. The armor counts as +1 attack and +1 defense. The three tokens go back into the player's hand when a region is conquered and is re-applied at the beginning of the player's next turn.

As has already been pointed out this is nothing but a weak version of Hordes of.

Quote:
Feared (3)- When attacking an occupied region this race may roll the dice. On a 3, the defending races tokens flee back into the player's hand (except one token that runs away in fear back to the tray). If a three is not rolled, attack as normal.

This is an extremely weak and risky version of berserk. Consider this. When attacking a region with 3 or fewer units on it your benefit will be identical or weaker than berserk. If you attack a region with 3 units on it and fail you've just used more than half your units on 1 attack which is pretty bad.

Bottom line is a power should not push you to attack heavily defended regions unless you are granted a concrete benefit (Dragon master, Marauding). A very small chance to conquer a heavily defended region with a steep punishment for failure is ungodly awful.

Quote:

Respected (4)- During final conquest this race may roll a die. If the dice roll produces a dotted side the defending army surrenders it's tokens. All tokens are placed into the tray and the respected race takes another race token to represent recruited soldiers.

Again no growing power tied to abilities. This one is particularly weak cause after 2 turns there's only a 25% chance that it will be better than any other ability that just starts with 5 units

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.