Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to find games my wife would enjoy is proving trickier than I thought.

I was thinking if I can find a theme she enjoys it might be easier. One of her passions is reading what is commonly termed "chick-lit" - light and fluffy novels with lots of a focus on relationships and how they play out. It's what she uses to switch off, and relax from all the hard work of being a Mum with a job with moments of high stress.

So can you think of a good 2+ player game, that's 45mins max playtime, easy to learn, has some kind of focus on human relationships?
Luck playing a factor is a good thing.

Games she likes are Scrabble, Cribbage, Rummy... other simple playing card games. I've tried introducing other set collection games with little success as "the rules are too complicated" and she would "rather play rummy".

(I should say, that's fine, we do play rummy quite often, but it would be nice to expand the repertoire a bit!)

Also I'm not looking for recommendations of games that focus on the relationship of my wife and I, we need a little escapism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
What does she think of Carcassonne?
That's our game - we also enjoy Oregon.

I don't know any game with a strong relationship theme that's any good. You'd be better to take her to a country hotel in the middle of nowhere with some simple boardgames and play one game a day with a glass of wine/ g+t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's not a big fan of carc. We played it quite a bit when we were first married 10 years ago, but she lost interest in it fairly quickly.

I'm waiting for a copy of Finca to turn up that I've bought. I think she might enjoy that as we holidayed in Majorca, good memories and the fruit donkey delivery theme might capture her interest.

Yes, I took her away for our anniversary as usual this year, nice B&B, played some cards, then I got out Mundus Novus, but well, let's just say she was crying before the end of my rules explanation. I'd even toned it down, and thought we'd play the first game without the events...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age has some kind of "human relationship".

and further it is a great gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had you considered any co-op games? While they are not relationship themed, they are about behaving as a couple against difficult circumstances.

Pandemic? The brave scientist/doctor couple who take on the spreading disease?

As for other possibilities, I do know that my wife, who does not like games as a whole, has proved willing to play Ticket to Ride with me. (We play the Nordic version, as it's geared towards 2/3 players and she is half Norwegian, but I think the original is probably just as good.) She is also slightly willing to play Dominion, although in both cases, she needs to win every so often to stay interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fearoffours wrote:
I'm waiting for a copy of Finca to turn up that I've bought. I think she might enjoy that as we holidayed in Majorca, good memories and the fruit donkey delivery theme might capture her thoughts.

Finca is great! Played it today. Easy to teach. Easy to score. There are lots of meeples, and most of them are fruits meeples!

My brother looked worried to see all the pieces, like the way he looks at Agricola game pieces. But when you play the game, it is not heavy like Agricola at all.

In your turn, you may:

1) collect fruit (no dice, just simple math, like, oh, there are three pieces on that space including my piece, so I move my piece three spaces... oh, I stopped at a space which already has a piece on it, so plus my piece, I get two fruits as shown on that space), OR

2) deliver fruit needed by the board. Minimum delivery: 1 fruit. Max: 6 fruits.

There are only FOUR power tiles for each player, and every tile can only be used only once.

Easy. Enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on Finca.

Pastiche
Takenoko
Arena: Roma II
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Funny Friends
Not sure about the "easy to learn" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities
Battle Line
Haggis
+1 Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Biblios
Forbidden Island

The themes obviously don't fit (but I don't think much does), but these all seem like the best type of gateways for the type of games your wife enjoys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth or The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel. Note: the first one will be closer to 60 mins, while the latter just 30 mins. Maybe she read the novel or will be inspired to read it. But they are games based on a book that is heavy into relationships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Agricola even though it doesn't fit to the limit you set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Mr. Jack in New York... one person is trying to escape while the other one is trying to catch them (for child support or alimony perhaps?) devil

If she likes card games... I would expand from that:
Battle Line This is an excellent game. Simply to learn and turns into a moderate-brain burner.
Haggis Set collection game... but going to feel familiar to normal card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be to complex and it may be OOP (I can't find any info regarding this, but then again, I really haven't looked and I'm lazy right now) but Hera and Zeus was the first thing I thought of when you said "strong relationship theme".

Granted, Hera and Zeus' relationship isn't what the unspoken meaning of "strong" is, but they are both strong willed and strongly opinionated of themselves and each other.

There may even be a little love in their relationship... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
Battle Line This is an excellent game. Simply to learn and turns into a moderate-brain burner.

thumbsupthumbsup

Learning the strategies in this game together is brilliantly fun and tense. My wife and I played this game every chance we could get for several months straight. Highly recommended.

You could also find two other friends (another couple, perhaps) and play team-oriented games like these:

Tichu
Sequence

7 Wonders has a neighbor element that's fun for couples. You just need to round up at least one more player. If you're sitting next to your wife, you buy goods from each other, so there's a bit of co-dependency...but, you also go to war with each other at the end of each age (3 times per game), so yeah. But I've seen players make alliances that neither will go for military and receive no loss or reward. But beware, this leaves you open to being slaughtered by your other neighbors.

Honestly, the best example I can think of for this is a heavier game: Brass. In Brass, all players' success is interlocked by the types of buildings each builds. It's hard to explain, but it's the best game I know where players are using each others' strategies to advance their own. The best way to describe it is symbiotic competition.

I hope this helps. This is definitely a tough request. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Just to let you know, 50 Shades of Grey probably doesn't qualify as "chick-lit" the way you defined it.

Sorry? Who mentioned 50 Shades of Grey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the games that came to mind with a strong relationship theme
Genji
Relationship Tightrope
High School Drama!

I also think having women as a central role in the game may be good. This made me think of Queen's Necklace

My wife also likes activities that are light and fluffy and help her to switch-off. So she likes reality TV, light movies, and definitely light games. I think you might have better luck finding games that you both can enjoy that are simple to play. Here are a few suggestions that have been big successes even though they are far from my favorite games. However, we can both enjoy them.
Rummikub - like rummy only much better
Five Crowns - like gin rummy, but every casual gamer I know has gone crazy for this game
Yaniv - Found it first on iOS. Now we play it quite a bit.
Coloretto - Simple, fun, and interesting
Slide 5 - Great gateway to blind bidding games
Ligretto - Casual players often like speed games and this is perhaps the best.

Once you succeed there I'd suggest trying to move on to Ticket to Ride which has a lot of rummy elements so she might like it. This might open up some more interest in Days of Wonder games. Also try to get her interested in a simpler climbing/shedding card game like Frank's Zoo or Gang of Four. I find that climbing/shedding games scratch the gamer itch for me, but are simple enough to play casually. Though I do love Tichu I would avoid that at first because it requires partners and the scoring can be confusing for the casual gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are slacking...Liebe & Intrige
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Schiller
New Zealand
Auckland
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have a relationship theme, but I noticed "Rummy" and had to write a brief plug for Raid the Pantry, a new cooking-themed card game that had the original working title of Recipe Rummy. It should be fairly easy for a traditional card game player to grasp, success doesn't hinge entirely on the initial deal-out the way it does in Hearts or Pinochle, and there's enough strategy to keep Euro gamers happy. Website is www.raidthepantry.co.nz and it's listed on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddell wrote:
These are the games that came to mind with a strong relationship theme
Genji
Relationship Tightrope
High School Drama! .

Now THAT'S the kind of suggestions I've been looking for, thanks v much, gg for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be so happy after you play Genji though. A seriously mechanical game. What's wrong with Pillars of the Earth? Ken Follett is one of Britain's great novelists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.