Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello people,

Thank you for all the discussions on these forums, I am trying to read it regularly, and it is very helpful. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you for a bit more structured feedback. Here are two polls.

Please feel free to answer only the questions you like, and ignore any columns or rows you have no experience with or do not want to answer.

1) The first question is about scenarios you play the most. Beside the Rulebook scenarios it includes also your own adaptations of scenarios (blitz means shorter and epic means longer than standard scenarios of the given type). Feel free to mark (want to try) even for adaptations you have not made but think that may be worth to play.

2) The second question is about variants. Again, there are some of your own, and you can mark (want to try) for those you think may improve the game.

3-5) The next three questions are about heroes. Please answer only one of these questions, according to your experience with the game; I would like to see if the opinion develops with number of plays. Thank you for understanding.

Poll
1. What scenarios do you play?
  0x (not interested) 0x 0x (want to try) 1x 1x (never more) 2-4x 5-9x 10x or more
First Reconnaisance (solo)
First Reconnaisance (multiplayer)
Full Conquest
Blitz Conquest
Full Conquest (team)
Blitz Conquest (team)
Full Cooperation
Blitz Cooperation
Solo Conquest
Mines Liberation
Druid Nights
Dungeon Lords
Conquer And Hold
Conquer And Hold (team)
One to Return
One to Return (team)
Your own solo scenario (blitz)
Your own solo scenario
Your own solo scenario (epic)
Your own cooperative (blitz)
Your own cooperative
Your own cooperative (epic)
Your own competitive (blitz)
Your own competitive
Your own competitive (epic)
Your own competitive (team)
Your own highly competitive
2. Which variants and how often do you use?
  Never (not interested) Never Never (but want to try) Once (and didn't like it) Once Sometimes Usually Always (since we tried it) Always (since the beginning)
Custom map shape
Custom number of tiles
Random tiles orientation
Random cities
Daytime variability
Lower City levels
A bit higher City levels (+1 or +2)
Significantly higher City levels
Megapolis
Rampage!
More rampage!
No PvP in competitive games
No interactive Skills in competitive
No interactive Spells in competitive
Friendly mana
Interactive combat
More deckbuilding - Action upgrades
More deckbuilding - Drafting
Your own (for balance issues)
Your own (for variability)
Your own (for better story)
Your own (for shorter time)
Your own (for catching the leader)
Your own (for more interaction)
Your own (for less interaction)
Your own (for more randomness)
Your own (for less randomness)
Your own (for other reasons...)
3. Opinion on heroes - ONLY FOR THOSE WHO SCRATCHED THE SURFACE (intro scenarios, one or two full games)
  Goldyx Tovak Norowas Arythea
My favourite
My least favourite
Strongly overpowered
A bit overpowered
The right power
A bit underpowered
Stronlgy underpowered
4. Opinion on heroes - ONLY FOR THOSE WHO WENT DEEPER (three to ten full games, or playing only solo)
My favourite
My least favourite
Strongly overpowered
A bit overpowered
The right power
A bit underpowered
Stronlgy underpowered
Best for solo
Worst for solo
Best for a standard game
Worst for a standard game
Best for a quick game
Worst for a quick game
Best for a coop game
Worst for a coop game
Best for PvP
Worst for PvP
5. Opinion on heroes - ONLY FOR THOSE LOST DOWN THERE (more than ten full games, various scenarios)
My favourite
My least favourite
Strongly overpowered
A bit overpowered
The right power
A bit underpowered
Stronlgy underpowered
Best for solo
Worst for solo
Best for a standard game
Worst for a standard game
Best for a quick game
Worst for a quick game
Best for a coop game
Worst for a coop game
Best for PvP
Worst for PvP
      271 answers
Poll created by Vlaada

*** Thank you very much for your time. ***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
And here is the second poll - more details about characters and their Skills and special Action cards. It is for those who know the game better, of course.

As for the Skills - for your convenience, I added brief description to each, as you may not remember them by names. I know many skills are very situational - please answer generally (would it weaken or strengthen the hero if that Skill would be removed from his Skill set?)

As for the special Action cards, please do not rate how useful is that card itself, but how much it improves the basic card it replaces. Thanks.

Poll
1. What do you think about Skills of Goldyx?
  Freezing Power (siege, ice) Potion Making (heal 2) White Crystal Craft (B-crystal, W-mana) Green Crystal Craft (B-crystal, G-mana) Red Crystal Craft (B-crystal, R-mana) Glittering Fortune (influence for crystal colors) Flight (one space for free, two for Move 2) Universal Power (mana to cards sideways) Motivation (draw 2, mana?) Source freeze (interactive, blocks source)
One of the strongest
Strong
Good
Rather weak
One of the weakest
2. What do you think about Skills of Tovak?
  Double time (move 2/1) Night Sharpshooting (ranged 1/2) Cold Swordsmanship (attack 2, ice) Shield Mastery (block 3, ice/fire 2) Resistance Break (resistance reduces armor) I Feel No Pain (draw for Wound) I Don't Give a Damn (sideways, special x 3) Who needs magic? (sideways, no mana x 3) Motivation (draw 2, mana?) Mana Exploit (interactive, wounds for other colors)
One of the strongest
Strong
Good
Rather weak
One of the weakest
3. What do you think about Skills of Norowas?
  Forward March! (Move for units) Day Sharpshooting (ranged 2/1) Inspiration (ready/heal unit) Bright Negotiation (Influence 3/2) Leaves in the Wind (G-crystal, W-mana) Whisper in the Treetops (W-crystal, G-mana) Leadership (bonus to unit attack/block) Bonds of Loyalty (extra loyal unit) Motivation (draw 2, mana?) Prayer of Weather (interactive, move cost changes)
One of the strongest
Strong
Good
Rather weak
One of the weakest
4. What do you think about Skills of Arythea?
  Dark Paths (move 1/2) Burning Power (siege 1, fire) Hot Swordsmanship (attack 2, fire) Dark negotiation (influence 1/2) Dark Fire Magic (R-crystal, R/K-mana) Power of Pain (wound sideways) Invocation (discard wound or card for mana) Polarization (use oposite mana) Motivation (draw 2, mana?) Healing Ritual (interactive, wound to nearest)
One of the strongest
Strong
Good
Rather weak
One of the weakest
5. What do you think about the special Action cards (how much better they are than the card they replace)?
  Will Focus (improved Concentration) Cold Toughness (improved Determination) Noble Manners (improved Promise) Battle Versatility (improved Rage)
Very strong improvement
Strong improvement
Good improvement
Rather weak
Almost useless
      156 answers
Poll created by Vlaada

*** Thank you very much for your time. ***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding skill balance:

There is not a single skill in the game that I have never turned down. None are so strong that you absolutely must take them, although Flight and Bonds of Loyalty are almost that strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding character balance:

I think the balance among the characters is outstanding. After about 35 games, none are clearly better than the others.

I do feel that Norowas is a bit weak for Blitz scenarios, because his special action and many of his skills are slower to develop. I love Norowas for Full Conquest, though.

Goldyx was initially my favorite character because he is a crystal hoarder, Flight is incredibly useful, and Will Focus is the best of the special action cards. But as I've played more, I realize that his skill selection is perhaps not quite as strong as the other characters, which makes him balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I radically underestimate Motivation. This makes some sense because my initial impression of it was very poor and then IIRC I have never chosen it, not once, since reading its effect. So... yeah, these polls have already improved my game somewhat.

Edit: at the time of this edit, of the 30+ some odd voters for the strength of the Motivation skills, for every hero there is only 1 vote for Motivation as "one of the weakest". In each case that vote is mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The survey shows that there are a lot more people who have played 10+ solo games than 10+ multiplayer. I expect the results are somewhat biased by that. From my perspective, people are giving higher ratings to the skills that are best in the endgame, which makes sense if you're playing solo and the challenge is to defeat the big cities. But if you're playing standard full conquest, it's not that hard to defeat the cities once you get to them, so to me the most important aspect of a skill is whether it gives you a big jumpstart if you get it on turn 1 or 2, not really how it stacks up in the endgame. That's going to lead to pretty different rankings. In general, I'm ranking the every-turn skills consistently higher than the community average, because those are the best ones (I think) to get early in round one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to see these polls up here, and how opinion's change with experience (and as David points out with the scenario). I hope you can add similar polls for the tactics. Ideally also for all the rest of the cards (adv skills, spells, artifacts); though that would be a huge poll, it would be interesting data which presumably would help guide future updates/expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fully off-topic, but this is the DEVIL'S GAME. devil First reaction was "it's a bloated, overly complicated patchwork of a game, but I'll give it a try".

Then I got caught playing well past my bedtime for just "one....more.... turn", conquering the Green City. Evil, evil work was done on this.

Today I'm fully "out of order" at work snore , and it's all YOUR fault, Mr Chvatil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
I love the skill tokens, but in the basic deck it could really use a bit more difference. Just 1 card difference in 16 cards is really small. Every time someone asks me what the difference is between the hero's, its hard to answer. I always say that at the start they are very similar but they grow apart over time.

And most of it changes in the skill tokens. But in your deck everyone is the same. So I just give them the skill token explanation .

Also about norowas. I like the idea that he focuses on his army, but rarely has any mana to do something else. I don't mind that but he should atleast get something more from his units. For example he can exhaust a unit to gain a mana token of that same color of the unit. Or get some more deck cards to adjust his units more ? Like into the heat, or ready his units more or ...
He just needs more cards that interact with his units.

to sum up some suggestions for norowas:

- He starts with 2 command tokens, a regular one and a right hand man. ( replaces the loyalty skill token ) The fact about that skill token is that if the player never gets the token in his entire game, norowas is really underpowered .
- Needs more deck cards that interact with his units: like gain mana from exhausting unit, into the heat type cards, can use a unit the same way we use sideway cards, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
I love the skill tokens, but in the basic deck it could really use a bit more difference. Just 1 card difference in 16 cards is really small. Every time someone asks me what the difference is between the hero's, its hard to answer. I always say that at the start they are very similar but they grow apart over time.

And most of it changes in the skill tokens. But in your deck everyone is the same. So I just give them the skill token explanation .

Also about norowas. I like the idea that he focuses on his army, but rarely has any mana to do something else. I don't mind that but he should atleast get something more from his units. For example he can exhaust a unit to gain a mana token of that same color of the unit. Or get some more deck cards to adjust his units more ? Like into the heat, or ready his units more or ...
He just needs more cards that interact with his units.

to sum up some suggestions for norowas:

- He starts with 2 command tokens, a regular one and a right hand man. ( replaces the loyalty skill token ) The fact about that skill token is that if the player never gets the token in his entire game, norowas is really underpowered .
- Needs more deck cards that interact with his units: like gain mana from exhausting unit, into the heat type cards, can use a unit the same way we use sideway cards, ...

I actually think Norowas is one of the strongest Mage Knights. The only thing I don't like about him is that his special action card doesn't give more influence than its basic version (the extra fame and rep are really nice early on, but quickly become a lot less useful as you level up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:

I actually think Norowas is one of the strongest Mage Knights. The only thing I don't like about him is that his special action card doesn't give more influence than its basic version (the extra fame and rep are really nice early on, but quickly become a lot less useful as you level up).

I'm a bit surprised that Noble Manner has such a bad rating. Sure later in the game this card gives not much (although you shouldn't underestimate the advantage of several +1 Reps) but in the first round I find it much more helpful than Cold Toughness or Will Focus. I think a good start is very importan in this game. Perhaps you could give the powered action the addition 'if used for hiring units you get fame equal to the highest level of the units you hired this turn.' This would hold the power of the card until end of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that Noble Manner has such a bad rating. Sure later in the game this card gives not much (although you shouldn't underestimate the advantage of several +1 Reps) but in the first round I find it much more helpful than Cold Toughness or Will Focus.

Really? What if you draw it in your opening hand, and the locations for hiring units are far away and/or other players get to them first? The problem with Noble Manners is precisely that it might be hard to do anything at all with, on the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that Noble Manner has such a bad rating. Sure later in the game this card gives not much (although you shouldn't underestimate the advantage of several +1 Reps) but in the first round I find it much more helpful than Cold Toughness or Will Focus.

Really? What if you draw it in your opening hand, and the locations for hiring units are far away and/or other players get to them first? The problem with Noble Manners is precisely that it might be hard to do anything at all with, on the first round.

You can discard it with Improvisation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
You can discard it with Improvisation

Yeah, or you can play it sideways for Move 1. My point was, Noble Manners is more likely than any of the other "improved" starting cards to get you no bonus over the standard version, on the first round. At least that's how it seems to me. Personally, I think it should have an extra +1 Influence, or something. You still might not get to use it, but at least you would feel like you're gaining more when you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping the expansion will give Norowas a more powerful (or at least more generally useful) special card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I'm hoping the expansion will give Norowas a more powerful (or at least more generally useful) special card.

What if it just gives you more possibilities to use influence, so that the chance you will use influence at least once each round (especially the first round) is much higher - would you think Noble Manners would be strong enough then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meek Gagic wrote:
Over 6 rounds, Norowas is WAY STRONG. (If you play to increase his reputation.)

Most games don't last 6 rounds. Full Conquest should generally end in round 4, or early in round 5.

You can play the Epic version of Druid Nights, that's a full 6 rounds, and a pretty decent scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with noble manners is very special as it is only useful during interaction. If a round has about 6 turns you will on average fight 4 turns, interact 1 turn and do nothing useful 1 turn. So when you draw a combat card you could use it soon. When you draw an interaction card you often can't use it immideately and either have to play it sideways or keep it in the hand which usually is not helpful either.

Norowas is a great character when you can hire a unit each round. But if your first round is one of those rounds where all places to interact you find are mage towers and all units are in keeps or villages you will have a bad time. Same if you start near a village with a great unit but noble manners is one of the last cards of the round...

A better variant of noble manners wouldn't give you fame but allow you to hire units usually not available at your place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Most competetive games don't last 6 rounds.

fixed that for you ;-)

Solo and Coop games often last the full 6 rounds (either because you can't finish earlier or you don't want to because you can reach more than 30 points per round) - I haven't played against Volcare so I can't say anything about those scenarios...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into MK and only play solo. I have no idea what any of these variants are, is there a list somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Most competetive games don't last 6 rounds.

fixed that for you ;-)

Yes, that's what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.