Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious to see what people's take was on Io's Embrace? Is it too overpowered or is it a necessity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
Is that a card ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's really necessary. The game has such a brutal swing but I have always felt the offering step more than makes up for this fact, personally. I think it keeps the game bloody which seems to have been the intent. I know others are a hound for balance...but what true balance can be found throughout the duration of what is supposed to be a conflict driven game with some interesting card play?

There is a similar mechanic in the 3-4 player Blood Feud variant, which I think plays a good role there since you are potentially contesting 3 cities and defending one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
Is that a card ability?

I had to look that up too - actually went through all the cards before realizing its a rules variant only available in the 2nd edition rules, which I do not have. Then I noticed this was posted under rules....whistle dang subscribe to "game"!

pg. 7 of the second edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, but was just curious if anyone had seen it in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I was curious to see what people's take was on Io's Embrace? Is it too overpowered or is it a necessity?

Okay, now that I've played with it a few times...

I wouldn't say Io's Embrace is overpowered OR necessary. Depends what kind of game you like.

If full-bore cutthroat is your thing, spurn Io's advances (what a tart). I quite like playing with the rule; it cuts down on dead turns (where you're doing nothing but recovering from a Scarred Minotaur discard-spanking) and even adds a layer to decision-making. But it's not required to make the game "playable" or anything...just a bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.