Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cattie-Brie is obviously a great ranged damage dealer, but a little squishy.

My question is this: given the encounter mechanic of the game, Cattie-Brie is encouraged to explore a new tile every turn.

The trouble is that, as often as not, this will lead to her being harmed by the monster that results.

She has a special ability at the end of the exploration phase which allows her to move two squares, but from my limited experience of the game, this is rarely enough for her to escape from whatever monster is lurking.

My son and I were playing a two player with Cattie-Brie and Bruenor. Bruenor could have stuck closer to her, in order to attract monsters, but that might have made it more difficult for him to keep turning new exploration tiles. (In hemmed in areas).

Is there a tank and dps strategy I have missed here?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Explore on corners. The two space movement can allow her to jump two tiles away from the newly revealed monster, usually enough tiles to keep that first attack from hitting.

For example, if Cattie is on this setup, explore on the corner, as shown:

This gives her the option to flee two tiles away after the reveal:

In some extreme cases, she could flee three tiles away:

Corners give you a lot of options, and whenever possible you should be on the corner when you explore.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Now you show me this, it's obvious...

It's all about manipulating the no diagonal rule for tiles - not immediately intuitive to a new player, but quite clear now that you lay it out.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion, if for whatever reason you're not exploring, try to end up on the Mushroom space. This will give you the freedom to move the monster anywhere on the tile, and there are many advantageous spots for that (such as adjacent to a melee character on a different tile, so that Hero can Attack+Move instead of Move+Attack next turn and still end up multiple tiles away).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pair up Uncle Arty with Catti-Brie and watch the monsters weep. We played the scenario where you need to explore 15+ tiles in order to win with that pair, went through the entire tile stack and ended with neither hero even wounded surprise . Sickest case of pwnage I've seen in LoD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Another suggestion, if for whatever reason you're not exploring, try to end up on the Mushroom space. This will give you the freedom to move the monster anywhere on the tile, and there are many advantageous spots for that (such as adjacent to a melee character on a different tile, so that Hero can Attack+Move instead of Move+Attack next turn and still end up multiple tiles away).

-shnar

hehe... although isn't that a wee bit of gamesmanship right there? can't fault you on the letter, but somehow seems against the spirit of the law.

truth be told, no matter how many questions I ask I realize that this is not the tightest ruleset. Yes, there is a basic framework to follow, and enough rigor to ensure some tension, but there is also enough ambiguity that you can house rule a lot of stuff to either ratchet up or damp down the difficulty.

Currently I am giving the benefit of the doubt in favor of the heroes, as it's about having fun with my 6.5 yr old. If I were playing more competitively, however, I would give it to the monsters.

All in all, I see this as a tool for imaginative play, rather than a competition for perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider it "gamemanship" except when you hear the designer of the game says he created the game with this in mind (in a CR thread, the question came up with where to put the monster when you move on tile or adjacent, and he said it was meant for the monster to be placed in the most advantageous situation for the heroes).

As for the vague rules, keep this unwritten rule in mind, "When in doubt, the Active Hero decides." There are many situations where you're not going to be 100% sure if that's right or not. Follow the letter of the law, and then let the Active Hero decide.

For example, a Monster Tactic might state, "Move adjacent to the closest Hero." What if there are two heroes that are "closest", i.e. the same distance from the Monster? Well, the Active Hero decides which hero to place the monster next to. He satisfied the letter of the rule (he followed the tactic and did indeed place the Monster adjacent to the closest hero) but he gets to decide which of the two since they are both the closest heroes.

Anyways, try not to overthink the game, follow the letter of the law with the rules, and you'll find it plays pretty smoothly.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.