Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb

So I have been playing the Core game for a while now and decided to play it on nightmare mode with my newly constructed deck to see how far I could get. Nightmare is a version where you play one adventure after the other but you don't reset your threat counter and don't reshuffle your deck but loose all resources at the beginning of each new adventure.

So I set forth with Theodred Dunhere and Beravor, this is their epic story I hope you enjoy it

Theodred had fought orcs bearing the white hand of Saruman, he knew not what this meant but knew of the danger this posed so he rode north with Dunhere and his Snowbourn Scouts to meet with the council of Thandruil in Mirkwood. There, they learned that they must travel south to Lorien to tell the lady of the forest of these ill tidings. Beravor, a ranger of the northmen offered her services. She would lead them through Mirkwood and on to Lorien. Thandruil gave great gifts to the heroes as they readied for the quest, he gave Beravor the Celeborn's Stone which shone brightly on her chest.

The Fellowship set off with haste through the spider infested forests of Mirkwood. But were soon cut off by a forest spider and a king spider. In the fight one of the Snowbourn Scouts made a Valiant Sacrifice as he dove into the fray. Suddenly, a Sneak Attack came from the trees overhead where Faramir of Gondor took down a spider. The heroes continued forth with the eye of Mordor looming ever closer and in a clearing ahead they met with Faramir once more. They told him of their quest so he joined their efforts and made Dunhere Steward of Gondor for showing such courage. The heroes continued quickly down the forest path where they met with a Daughter of the Nimrodel and Hannemarth Riversong. He told them not to despair for lady Galadriel sent her Greeting. So with Hannemarth scouting ahead and Faramir leading the Fellowship through Secret Paths they quickly made it to Beorn's path and left the forest before Ungoliant's spawn could reach them.

Final Threat 29, Final score 129

The Fellowship now saw the river's edge and the boats that Hannemarth had spoken of. So they made for the Anduin But as soon as they reached the boats a band of orcs form Dol Guldur blocked their path. Hannemarth commented "They have a Hill Troll". As the Hill troll came to meet the Heroes, Dunhere shone A Light in the Dark and drove him back while Theodred and Hannemarth made quick work of the orcs. But now the Troll returned and attacked Faramir. He gave an agonizing gasp as life left him but with a shout of Stand and Fight!! from Dunhere he was back on his feet to tackle the Hill troll. The Daughter of the Nimrodel now healed Beravor and the heroes sallied forth to meet the Troll except for Dunhere who rode ahead to meet the Beast Master on his own turf. With the Troll dead they made it to the boats and rowed quickly down the river with Hannemarth scouting ahead from the shore line. But as they made it to the shore and the entrance of Lorien forest a wolf rider a beast master and his warg came to meet them. With a shout of Stand and Fight! from Dunhere, his Snowbourn scout returned and with a shout of For Gondor! The heroes met their enemies and conquered them.

Final Threat 43, Final Score 113

Once they met with lady Galadriel and delivered their message, she told them of ill tidings to the north where in Dol Guldur a foul shadow was gathering. So the heroes set off again to conquer this evil. When they made it to the giant black tower Dunhere was captured. Beravor was disheartened as her love was taken away by orcs. Theodred told her not to fret for they would free him. Using Radagast's cunning they found Secret Paths through the tower and remained hidden from most enemies but the eye of Mordor grew ever closer.

What could the heroes do? In two turns all would be lost. But suddenly, Beravor searched for Gandalf and found him. The Istari came to meet them and the eye receded. They managed to free Dunhere but Faramir perished beaten by the Jailor and Gandalf left saying something about going to smoke Old Toby. And what an inopportune time it was, for now the Nazgul of Dol Guldur came to hunt them. While Hannemarth distracted him Beravor set a Forest Trap and the evil serpent could not move (Though due to errata you can't do this!).

But alas all was lost for the key they had used to free Dunhere was a foul thing wreathed in shadow and malice and made the Eye of Mordor ever present. The heroes tried to run away but were easily picked off by the orcs now flooding to the gates as the Nazgul freed itself and ate them one by one...WHY Gandalf WHY did you leave us!!

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did You should try nightmare if you haven't it is ridiculous!! but I can't seem to get past Dol Guldur in this setting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eder Monaco
Italy
Rome
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hmm sounds fishy. First quest lasted just 1 round?
How is it possible that in the second quest you scored less than your threat.
Third quest, there is no score when you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your post

First quest I started with 26 threat and it mounted to 32 in 6 turns but Ghaladrim's gift brought it down to 26 (solo play means 6 less threat) I won in the next 3 turns because I got lucky and the spider didn't show so I got a score of 29 threat + 0 dead heroes + 0 damage on heroes (because of Daughter of Nimrodel) + 10 turns = Score 39!!

Moving on to Anduin river I start with threat 29 which rises to 43 over 8 turns plus a hill troll attack (6 threat) End result 43 + 0 dead heroes + 0 damage on heroes + 8 turns - 10 victory points for Hill Troll and 2 Gladden Fields = 41

(you were right on this one I had counted the turns wrong so I have edited my post)

And at Dol Guldur I used Gandalf's Search to search for two Gandalf's which I put one in hand and one I drew with Beravor. So I brought my threat down from 49 to 44 twice over 10 turns before I died.

I realize I died at Dol Guldur (Threat reached 50) so yes I don't get a score...so you could say I got a combined of 80 (39 + 41) for the other two adventures or not a score at all. All I know is that I had a great time playing it to the bitter end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eder Monaco
Italy
Rome
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
you add up 10 points for each round, not 1 point. So it is at least 100 points for a 10 round match.

In the other post you made you mention you were using stand and fight with gandalf and that is another big mistake. I think you have been playing with a lot of wrong rules as well since I find it impossible that you went that far with a 3 sphere deck built using just 1 core set. How exactly have you been paying your cards? you do know that you can't pay for a card using resource tokens that aren't in a hero of that card's type except for neutrals (gandalf is the only in the the core) right?

Good job on the role playing style writing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I know that I have to use a hero of the resource type to pay for the card. But I had Steward of Gondor on Dunhere and Theodred puts 1 resource on any hero that quests with him when he quests. I may have some errors probably on turn counting and on card use as you mention, I did not know that you could not use Stand and Fight! with Gandalf I have now corrected that. but I start turn 1 with 1 resource each. Spend one to bring in Snowbourn Scouts which. Beravor taps to draw 2 cards Theodred quests with Dunhere. I put 1 resource on Dunhere, etc.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications and I'm glad you enjoyed my writing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You started quest 2 with 29 threat. So you only had one turn to prepare before the hill troll engaged. That's tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a while before I read the updated scoring rules too.
No problem, sounds like quite an adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! Seems like you had a lot of fun. :^)

Not to pile on with the rules, but the downloadable errata/FAQ states that 'No attachments can be played on Nazgûl of Dol Guldur.' So unfortunately you can't catch him in the Forest Snare. I've tried the Dol Guldur quest twice with my wife, and we were destroyed both times, never even getting one progress token on the first part of the quest. Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Are you serious!! that is ridiculous I can't wait to try it again with updated rules/errata I have now learned. But chances are I will fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.