Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Problem with Sample Wares intrigue card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andres Sierra
Colombia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing this game last night with some friends, and one of them used the intrigue card "Sample Wares" which lets you assign one of your agents into an unbuilt building from the builder's hall. My friend decided to assign his agent to "The Palace of Waterdeep" which lets you take the ambassador and at the beginning of the next round he could use it to block an action space in the board. Here is the problem: he took the ambassador, but when it was time for him to place it, he assigned it to the "builder's hall", and since no one could build the "palace of waterdeep" in order to take the ambassador, he effectively blocked the building of new buildings for the rest of the game. Is this a bug in the game? did we play it wrong? was there any consideration to have? I would appreciate any help here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ambassador leaves the board at the end of the round. This is clarified in the official FAQ.

EDIT: Also, the Ambassador does not block a space, it actually uses that action. This means he should have bought a building, and if he couldn't afford one he couldn't legally place there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
The ambassador leaves the board at the end of the round. This is clarified in the official FAQ.

EDIT: Also, the Ambassador does not block a space, it actually uses that action. This means he should have bought a building, and if he couldn't afford one he couldn't legally place there.

That is correct. When you take the The "Palace of Waterdeep" Placement. the ambassador goes to your tavern. Then at the start of the next round you place the ambassador as it was one of your agents first before the first player. If you are the first player you will be placing twice in a row. at the end of the Round the ambassador goes back to it's waiting position until someone else takes the "Palace of Waterdeep"

It is possible to use the ambassador to continually block the The Palace of Waterdeep position but not the builder's hall.

FYI The ambassador does not get to be reassigned if you send him to the Harbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Sierra
Colombia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:

Thanks for your answer, but i will quote the rulebook, appendix 4, page 22: "once placed, the Ambassador counts as an opponent's Agent for all players."
Doesn't this mean that no one gets the power of the building it was assigned to, since it is an opposing Agent for EVERYONE?
Also, he placed it on the palace of waterdeep by using the Sample Wares intrigue card which allows you to use an unbuilt bulding. But if the Ambassador returns to the waiting possition at the end of each round, then the bug is fixed.
Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irkinvader wrote:
SlebRittie wrote:

Thanks for your answer, but i will quote the rulebook, appendix 4, page 22: "once placed, the Ambassador counts as an opponent's Agent for all players."
Doesn't this mean that no one gets the power of the building it was assigned to, since it is an opposing Agent for EVERYONE?
Also, he placed it on the palace of waterdeep by using the Sample Wares intrigue card which allows you to use an unbuilt bulding. But if the Ambassador returns to the waiting possition at the end of each round, then the bug is fixed.
Thanks so much!

It functions like any other agent. It is just that after that placement turn (after you collect the goods and do your quest) it is neutral. This just means you don't have to "remember" who had it last. It clears at end of round like everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is a bit strange but its all clarified in the FAQ

Quote:
The Ambassador's rules say it is treated as an opponent's Agent. Do I get the benefit of the space I assign it to?
Yes. It is treated as an opponent's Agent once it is on the board. When you assign any Agent (including the Ambassador or the Lieutenant), you always gain the benefit of the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Sierra
Colombia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for such quick responses! this was really helpful. I will make sure to check the FAQs of a game next time before asking about rules. Again, this was really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.