Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb

June 1941

Whermacht invades Soviet Union. German chooses "Von Paulus Pause" option rather than historical Barbarossa.

Southwest Front is attacked in Kaunas but, thanks to "Zhukov", may retreat after taking a step loss. Soviet Trenches are bypassed, Germans hoping to mop them up later. Panzers fail to isolate Bialystock but Minsk is taken by 2nd PanzerArmee.

Soviets organise their "Industrial Evacuation", may be the best event available on Turn 1.

Summer 1941

Because of "Von Paulus Pause", tempo of operations is halted against Soviets which retreat in Smolensk but counterattack against weak Romanians and threaten Bucharest. So, PanzerArmees are redeploying to the South. Riga falls to a German PanzerKorp.

Allied Player plays Enigma and, with no "Kammhuber Line" available to German, launches "Bomber Command" over Germany, reducing German Player Hand for next turn.

Fall 1941

"Franklin Delano Roosevelt declares war" at the first time available, so Total War will begin in Fall 1942, very early...
Kiev is taken by Germans. Thanks to "NKVD boosts Morale", a German attack against Odessa is repulsed, in spite of "Stuka" support. A second attack will be successful, trapping fleeing Russians units between Odessa and Romania.

Winter 1941/1942

Thanks to "Von Paulus Pause" opening, German attack may go on in winter, without historical failures. Kharkov holds two times against "PanzerGruppe Guderian". A panzer spearhead occupies Stalingrad, left vacated by Russians. In South, Dnepropetrovsk has fallen.
Germans occupy 5 Objectives in Russia, so there is no VP penalty.

Spring 1942

Panzers in Stalingrad are quickly Out of Supply but "Luftwaffe Supply" will help them to stay there for six months.
Leningrad is isolated and, at last, Kharkov is taken.
Whermacht has never diverted resources to Mediterranean. So, British and CW units are quickly threatening Tripoli. OKW sends urgently a German Infantry Corp and an Italian Armoured Corp for a last ditch defence. Thanks to Japanese "Banzai" in Far East, CW corps will leave European Theater of Operation, Tripoli is saved !

Summer 1942

Stalingrad must be evacuated but, after regrouping all Panzer in North and Central Russia, in the last round, Whermacht launches a huge pocket battle from Vologda to Gorki, isolating Moscow and all Russians defenders of this vital area. Attrition takes its toll and Russians must surrender to victorious Germans (21 VP) for an Automatic Victory.

"Sorge" has been available lately, so "Siberians" don’t have time to arrive from Far East to defend Russia against German invasion.

With my friend Frederic, we have played 8 hours but I have spent 1h30 playing Winter 1941/1942 Turn. German Player must anticipate "Totaler Krieg" by having at less 11VP and by having played earlier "Hitler takes command" when Total War begins. Indeed, when Total War begins, German player may choose to have "Totaler Krieg" in his starting hand but this could be useful only if necessary conditions have been prepared.
Because of early US declaration of war, Total War would have begun in Fall 1942 and German player would have then to choose between preparing defensively second half of the game, by playing "Totaler Krieg" but forbidding Automatic Victory or pursuing his offensive in Russia to obtain Automatic Victory, before Soviet Reinforcements and Allied Invasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't understand that picture of the end of turn 1. Did the Germans really decide to NOT surround the Soviet Central front?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
funnymarx wrote:
I didn't understand that picture of the end of turn 1. Did the Germans really decide to NOT surround the Soviet Central front?

In fact, no...

Bad chronology of my attacks, Vilna has been occupied by a retreating Soviet Front, so I haven't been able to seal the pocket...

I hope I will success to trap Central Front next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clocherty
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this session report. The main reason for holding Moscow is to allow Industrial Evacuation to be played if it is not drawn on the first couple of turns. Once it is played, the Russians can happily retreat like crazy (with Stalin of course).

Personally I like Von Paulus Pause. After one or two maulings as Axis in Winter 42 in previous games, I enjoy having the safe option as an alternative. You can still inflict heaps of damage with less stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.