Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
niels s
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the box-art, I thought "hey, this reminds me a bit of Startopia".
Then I read the description of the game, and thought "this is a LOT like Startopia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startopia

I know there are a lot of differences with the computergame, but it still breathes the same atmosphere.

It's a great computergame, but I think this would be a great boardgame in it's own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Crider
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Never played startopia, to my regret, but it did look pretty amazing.

FWIW, I think the description makes the game sound a lot like 7 Wonders ... in space. I'll be interested to know more about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought, and what made me instantly want to get this game if it looks like it might live up to this association...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Startopia looks fun, this is the first time I hear about it - Among the Stars has no relation to it whatsoever.

My inspiration was mostly sci-fi series like Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine.

jonLikesDice wrote:
FWIW, I think the description makes the game sound a lot like 7 Wonders ... in space. I'll be interested to know more about this one.

The main mechanism is card drafting, done in a way similar to 7 Wonders. From there on though, the gameplay is quite different.

In the coming days we will show you a lot about the game and we are pretty sure you are going to love it.

Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Startopia was a really good game until I realized that you could scan up to build your own security bots and just attack your neighbors a lot.

It took a lot of pressure out of the game to me, and I was sad that I broke it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Startopia was a great game that was never really finished. Lots of bad balance and non-functioning elements (you got no income from bars for example).

It would make a good boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen Startopia, but Among the Stars reminds me quite a bit of my own game: Space Station
which FryxGames published last year.

Card game, build your space station with the cards, collect VPs for how you build... :/

Luckily, the mechanisms seem quite different at least, with Space Station having some emphasis on economy, worker placement and competition, while Among the Stars seems focused on card drafting and VP optimization *guessing from the few cards spoiled*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, looking at the cards, it reminds me slightly of Infinite City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Venet
France
Montpellier
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me think of City tycoon: 4 rounds, drafting, positioning bonus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.