Subject: Malformed Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Watts
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was recently given a copy of TMG's release of Alba Longa as a birthday present, and my friends and I have noticed that the dice are rather noticeably malformed; on 1 die, the '2' and '4' faces are significantly smaller than '1' and '3', and on another die, the reverse is true (I don't have the game with me at the moment, so I don't remember which particular dice). Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I'm thinking of just replacing the dice with D4s instead, but it is apparently rather difficult to find a brown D4 (one of my friends works at my FLGS, and he is trying to find one to order from their distributors)! (I'd rather use regular D8s numbered 1-4 twice, but those would be even harder to find, and as I'm not yet sure how much play this game will get, I'm not willing to spend any significant money on replacements.)

EDIT: 'local FLGS'? I should apply for work at the Department of Redundancy Department!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours are similar.

I ordered some cool-looking roman 12-sided d4s as replacements, but they aren't here yet. Here's a picture:

The only colors are black, gray and white--so I'm going to try to dye a white one brown for the 4th needed color (maybe with a brown permanent marker).

I have no idea if any of this will work, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Watts
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are pretty neat. Let us know if you have any success turning one brown!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
jrwatts wrote:
Those are pretty neat. Let us know if you have any success turning one brown!

And...... the results:

At first, I didn't have any luck with the permanent markers. (They'd wipe off somewhat easily, and were much too dark brown.)

On a whim, I decided to try to "bake" the color in. We've got a little toaster oven with a convection fan.

First, I covered the die with a thick coat of brown Sharpie marker (it looked almost black). Then, I baked it once at 200 degrees (F) for about 20 minutes, which made the surface barely tacky.

I then used a washcloth to very forcefully wipe away every bit of marker which would come off. I then baked the die for another 25 minutes and let it cool completely in the freezer.

Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where were these dive purchased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Where were these dive purchased?

At CoolStuffInc. Search for: Roman d4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.