Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that there are different strategies. I guess it's important to keep an eye on your opponents, so no one can run away in any given part (eg if someone scores big with the Lords (can't remember what they^re called) and no one else does, he will be hard to beat).

Military is usually very powerful as well.

But more than anything I guess it's fun to find out the different strategies for yourselves :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
The dominant strategy is to get all your knights onto the board as quickly as possible. This requires both upgrading and producing more level 1 knights.

Explain it to everyone before you start.

The least effective is getting lots of council seats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tips for newbies?
chris1nd wrote:
The dominant strategy is to get all your knights onto the board as quickly as possible ... The least effective is getting lots of council seats.

I would say it is important not to be left badly behind in numbers of knights, but an edge in council seats can ensure that laws that favour you remain in play long enough to give a decisive edge.
There is no dominating strategy if the players are alert. Once everyone understands what is going on it is skill in assessing the intentions of the other players that is most important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan's correct, although I tend to find that the edge on votes is not enough to offset the preponderance of the majority interest that is likely to be against you 3 times out of 4. Sometimes it tips it, but I have gone whole games without ever being able to meaningfully change a decision (they all have council seats too).

So I say: (a) knights, (b) castle pieces, (c) council seats.

Remember, knights are actions as well as end game and allow you flexibility in joining and influencing conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

The least effective is getting lots of council seats.

Yes this is pretty much bull. It's also about being adaptive.

But most importantly, keep your energy up when explaining. It kind of requires every rule explained before playing, so the best way is, using examples, to go through the stages one at a time with a big smile on your face. Once it gets going though, it's smooth as ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can set "the bull" free.

Players that fall behind on knights are out of the running all game. Period. I have several very good gamer friends that soured on the game because they fell behind on knights to the lead player and got railroaded.

The problem with council seats is that the (triangular) VPs are not quite enough and it is too hard to translate the votes into VPs. You should not ignore the seats (stay within 2 of the most), but I have yet to see anyone in a 4 or 5 player game get all of them. I also have yet to see someone that primarily focused on them win against experienced players in 20+ games. Maybe against newbies, but it is way too easy to block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I assumed you meant that they had to get ALL of their knights out. In a 5 or sometimes 4 player game, you can definitely win with less knights than your neighbors- just not too few. In fact, last game we had someone get all the nobles with only two knights- and they tied with two other players (out of 5) to win. She ended up in that position because of her voting power too- I think only one law went a different way than what she voted.

HOWEVER

That only worked because two other players were trying other weird strategies (Extensions only and Conflict only).

In a normal game, you must keep up with your neighbors knight-wise, but you do not need all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to lose when I was the first player to get all of my knights on the board. I have won other ways, but not lost that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.