Popular Tags: [View All]
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last year or so, I've engaged in a long term effort to convert the Wife from non-gamer status to committed gamer. And, while "Operation GamerWife" has a long way to go before complete success, we passed a major milestone this last weekend.

I was able to play Merchants & Marauders with the Wife thanks to some babysitting by Grandma. During the game, at about the mid point, the Wife looked at me and said, “I really enjoy this game.” No irony, no hedging. She was having a blast with a board game. Bona fide love of a game.

While there have been successes in the past, this was a huge. We’ve gone from tolerating games, to having a mild enjoyment, to now having an excellent time. Merchants & Marauders has been a breakthrough in enjoyment. Though I knew the theme would be a winner, it’s still a little surprising to me because M&M is a tad on the fiddly side.

Needless to say, hearing those words fall from the Wife’s lips were a complete joy. Of course, there is still some work to do. Now we must expand that love to more individual games. But, though there have been stutters and setbacks along with the more successful offensives, this has definitely made it all worth it.

Please excuse this victory lap post, but I can’t contain the happiness and the renewed potential for complete shared enjoyment in board gaming.

(Originally posted, in a slightly altered form, on the Giant Fire Breathing Robot)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the recent success, now if only your wife could talk to mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Still trying to take it one game at a time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
For the last year or so, I've engaged in a long term effort to convert the Wife from non-gamer status to committed gamer. And, while "Operation GamerWife" has a long way to go before complete success, we passed a major milestone this last weekend.

I was able to play Merchants & Marauders with the Wife thanks to some babysitting by Grandma. During the game, at about the mid point, the Wife looked at me and said, “I really enjoy this game.” No irony, no hedging. She was having a blast with a board game. Bona fide love of a game.

While there have been successes in the past, this was a huge. We’ve gone from tolerating games, to having a mild enjoyment, to now having an excellent time. Merchants & Marauders has been a breakthrough in enjoyment. Though I knew the theme would be a winner, it’s still a little surprising to me because M&M is a tad on the fiddly side.

Needless to say, hearing those words fall from the Wife’s lips were a complete joy. Of course, there is still some work to do. Now we must expand that love to more individual games. But, though there have been stutters and setbacks along with the more successful offensives, this has definitely made it all worth it.

Please excuse this victory lap post, but I can’t contain the happiness and the renewed potential for complete shared enjoyment in board gaming.

(Originally posted, in a slightly altered form, on the Giant Fire Breathing Robot)

hehe, quite a great read. Lovely.

The reason I really love reading stories like these (and there have been quite a few similar accounts) is how it has taken me by complete suprise. When I did the game I had a feeling that it could be successful and that it would be just the right pirate game for a lot of folks. But what I did not know, and could never have anticipated, was just how many female gamers (and wives of gamers) have embraced the game. Never in a million years had I imagined that.

So thanks for sharing your story. Give my regards

Have fun arrrh

ps: My GF of 12 years and mother of my children has never tried the game. That explains a great deal I guess. Count yourself lucky cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.