Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would appear that my tastes in gaming aren't exactly what I expected them to be. I would have thought that - coming from a RPG background - that I'd enjoy longer games of intrigue, possibly including campaign rules, where everything drips of theme and there are lots of bits (both physical and informational) to keep track of with a decent number of players.

Well, it turns out that I can't get many players together anymore. And what's more surprising to me is that I'm not sure I want more players than three or four at a time. And the reason for that is what brings me to seek recommendations.

It appears my threshold of boredom nowadays is a lot lower, and couple that with not having a lot of time to just sit and play games to begin with and you have a recipe for those delightful bits that we call filler.
My target audience is myself, my daughters (6 & 8) and maybe wife; being able to include more folks like grandparents and uncles/aunts is great (both in terms of number of players capability as well as theme). I'd like to keep the amount of time needed to play to under half an hour or so.

We're really enjoying:
Bohnanza
Wildlife Safari
Hey, That's My Fish!
Loot
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Sorry! Sliders
Wobble

We have previously enjoyed but the kids have outgrown:
Ker Plunk
Dweebies
Slamwich
Suds

What others might be worth checking out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale
Incan Gold
Dixit
Jungle Speed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, Jungle Speed was something I've previously looked at. Might need to take a closer gander.

And I suspect that it's because I haven't actually played the game, but For Sale almost seems counter-intuitive to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Army of Frogs
Ubongo
FITS
Ingenious

Also

The Resistance
Saboteur
Lifeboat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:
And I suspect that it's because I haven't actually played the game, but For Sale almost seems counter-intuitive to me.

How so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Resistance
+1 Dixit

Carcassonne
Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne if they like puzzles

Ticket to Ride if they like trains

Forbidden Island if they like treasure

King of Tokyo if they like monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Foolery
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The young people in my family much prefer Ligretto to the aforementioned Jungle Speed, but they are both solid choices.

Also, +1 for the earlier suggestions of Forbidden Island and King of Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for:

Ticket to Ride
For Sale
Incan Gold

I also recommend:

10 Days in Asia (or any of the other 10 days series)
No Thanks!
Labyrinth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't normally mention a game I haven't played, but since it's currently going for $14.99 on Tanga.com, I figured I should bring it to your attention:

Travel Blog

Numerous reviewers have reviewed it as the game that the 10-Days-In series wanted to be. Further, Vlaada knows how to make unique games. Speaking of which, you might want to look at another highly-regarded party game of his:

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.