Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of each round, a number of quests are dealt from the top of the quest deck. This depends upon the number of players in the game and the difficulty setting. For a 4 player game on the easy difficulty setting, this will be 3 quests.

The 9 rounds of the game cover 3 chapters - 3 rounds in each chapter.
Each chapter has its own deck of quest cards.

There are a variety of different quests within the game. Some of the quests simply give a bonus to the Nazgul who goes to the location. These quests can be ignored with no consequences. Other quests however ,if not dealt with, will cause something bad to happen.

Thus, each round, the players must decide between completing the quests or attempting to complete the locations on the board. In the games I've played, these are quite often difficult decisions most of the time.

Below are three quests from Chapter 1.

The Battle at Weathertop is one of the simple quests. Basically, each player who sends his Nazgul there gains 3 Favor. This quest has caused us some 'interesting' conversations during our games, because if a player goes there, he isnt actually contributing to helping complete the overall goal. Nazgul can be selfish sometimes.

The Assassination Quest is an opportunity to get rid of a Gondorian Hero before he manages to make his way to a main location. If one or more Nazgul attempt this quest, they will fight 1 hero (represented by the 1 white cube). If they succeed, they get a VP each, and also the VP for killing the hero (Note: VP is only used in the competitive version). If they fail to kill the hero, or nobody attempts the quest, it means that one of the locations on the board is reinforced, making it harder to attempt.

Finally, the Horsemen of Rohan is similar to the Assassination, but not only is there a hero present, but an additional 2 armies also. Again, if the Nazgul ignore this quest, or attempt it and fail, then any leftover cubes are placed onto the main game board.

Update: More quests.

Here are another few quests to end our preview section on this part of the game.

‘The Palantir is lost’ is from Chapter II, and it has the word “Event”. This means that this card takes effect immediately and is then removed from the game (i.e There is one less quest card on display this turn). The effect is bad for the players, but not too bad.

‘A Clever Solution’ is a card I really like because I’ve made good use of it in games I’ve played. This quest includes the words “First Nazgul” at the start. This means that only the first player who deploys his Nazgul to this quest gains this bonus. Whilst the player who takes this card suffers an initial penalty, they can then use it at any point in the future to effectively negate another quest card in future without resorting to a fight. And they also gain the favour for eliminated enemies.

‘The Rohirrim Arrive’ is similar to the Horsemen of Rohan quest we saw earlier, but it is a lot tougher. The armies are tougher and they are immune to terror. Nasty. Thankfully, the one time this card did come out in our game, we had already completed ‘The Final Stand’, so we just ignored this quest 

That’s it for this part of the preview. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seem nice how to keep track of the game and how is developed, hope lots of different quests.

thanks for the advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Preview thread updated with some more quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.