Laurens van der Vuurst
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Short question about Victory Points
The game stops whenever a player reaches 50 victory points (VPs). So what do we count? Do we count (1) the number of VPs on the table OR (2) the total of VPs collected cumulatively every turn?

In the first case: nice, yet I think I'll alter the number of required points to 30, before the game becomes a drag. In the second case: interesting, because I think the headstart for early VP-gatherers is a bit difficult to catch up to for another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
You count the total of VPs collected cumulatively every turn.

We use a simple piece of paper to record the VPs for every player. This is done by one of the players and he/she writes down the VPs while shouting them out so everybody known each round how well he/she is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens van der Vuurst
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haha, shouting the scores - that sounds like fun :-)
I've made an Excel-sheet with a graph as well.
Maybe it's more fun to use the Carcassonne scoring board.

Either way, thanks for your answer, it is as I feared, haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XiphiasX wrote:
because I think the headstart for early VP-gatherers is a bit difficult to catch up to for another player.

I thought so in the beginning as well, but now I know better.

The early VP gatherer has a tendency to have a slow increase throughout the game, while the late VP gatherers tend to get huge increases at the end of the game.

I have found that around 50 points there is this fine spot where the low increase guy can just about win or not. If you reach the 50 in time, it will often look like a clear victory, but it is often with just a few points over 50, and if you stay under 50 that round that you should just get over it, the next round the late starter will suddenly fly by, and win with a wide margin.

This game is all about turning points. At what point should I stop building an economy, and start gathering VP's? at what point should can i still easily catch up to the early VP gatherer, and at what point does he run away from me?

Today I started with 1 VP first round, and 3 VP increase second round. 2 of the other players also had VP's from the first round. I won with 54 points, but the guy that didn't have any VPs for the first 4 rounds got second with 48, and would have beaten me if there had been one more round.

It is essential throughout the game, not only to keep track of other players total score, which is not very important,or their income, which is slightly more important, but mostly you must be very wary of other players increase in score every round.

If you have 16 point, but you won only 5 points the last round, you are probably in a worse position then the player who has only 7 points, which he all earned during the last round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens van der Vuurst
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your elaborate reply, Barry. Perhaps I'm rather quick with my conclusion there. And I can tell from your reply that you've played the game (far) more often than me. I shall try and stick with the original game rules ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, my name is Marcel, the other thing has to do with a joke in chit-chat to which I replied by changing my name and getting a sprout avatar. I am now considering changing my name back, and getting the Barry reference in some other way.

Further, not sure if you intend to go to the phoenix gameday in Leiden next saturday www.spelgroepphoenix.nl but if you do, we can play a few games of the city there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to step in and say we had exactly the same question when we read through the rules, too. They could have been a little clearer about this in the rulebook, to remove any chance of getting this aspect wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.