Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I just tried the game and had a few questions:

-Is the first player changed? Or is the first player always the same?

-If the first player is unchanged, what is the sense of using the Cruel Jester (moves the festival token) for the second player? If not, how often does it change?

-When is it a good moment to activate the alley maze (each player kills an oponent's minion)? It seems that you would never want to do so. Analogously for The coutyard

-Having to shuffle the day/night deck every 4 rounds is a bit messy. I wonder why can't we prepare 16 cards in which the amount of day cards grows as you go from top to bottom. This would, of course mean that we need 4 copies of the day/night cards (24 more cards only)

-The game is screaming for an expansion in which the two decks are different (say the white one emphasizes in building influence, while the black one steals more). Is there some plan to do so?

That's all, thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions!

-Yes, the start player is switched at the end of each week. Hopefully that makes Cruel Jester make a bit more sense.

-Activating the Alley Maze is tricky, and not something that happens as much as the other districts. The best time to do it is when you set up your first few plays with "1s" while your opponent is playing "2s," making the ability much more favorable for you. It's also good for knocking a "2" out of play that's in its home district.

-Yeah, shuffling those together each round does take a minute, but, having to organize 24 cards in the correct order at the start of the game would probably take a bit longer and require more cards. Plus, the game is normally going to end before you finish out adding days to the deck, so you would be do extra work at the front end that you may or may not need.

-We do have a tiny expansion planned. Whether or not it sees the light of day really depends on how sales/ratings go. However, it won't introduce separate decks. We felt like having the draft option gave players enough flexibility in playstyle without having to do different decks/faction decks.

Hopefully I was able to answer all of your questions! And hopefully your first game wasn't also your last!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei John, thanks again for your quick response.

We will definitely try more games of Hemloch. We just read the rules and played...so we yet have to play a couple more games to get a grasp of the game....however, the next on the list is now Omen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

-Having to shuffle the day/night deck every 4 rounds is a bit messy. I wonder why can't we prepare 16 cards in which the amount of day cards grows as you go from top to bottom. This would, of course mean that we need 4 copies of the day/night cards (24 more cards only)

-The game is screaming for an expansion in which the two decks are different (say the white one emphasizes in building influence, while the black one steals more). Is there some plan to do so?

That's all, thanks in advance

Having 24 more day night cards would not make sense, since at the end of the week the start player removes a night card and replaces the day card. It would eliminate this element with a preconstructed 24 card day/night deck

Also I would like to see an expansion , but the deck building variant takes care of having different decks with different playstyles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logicfray wrote:

Having 24 more day night cards would not make sense, since at the end of the week the start player removes a night card and replaces the day card. It would eliminate this element with a preconstructed 24 card day/night deck

My idea is that you could put 4 night cards , then 3 night and 1 day, etc...Clearly it won't be the exact system (since there could be day and night parties in the same location in the same week, etc)...but it would be pretty close. John's argument holds well, though: this would only move the shuffling to the set-up phase of the game

Logicfray wrote:

Also I would like to see an expansion , but the deck building variant takes care of having different decks with different playstyles.

Well, I would rather like a slightly deeper deckbuilding: what happens if your opponent wants to make the same type of deck as you? or if you want a certain type of card that always appears with differently themed cards? Also, doesn't it look strange mixing white and black cards?

In any case, I played again today and got a deeper grasp of the game. I still don't know when to use trinkets and/or potions...or even it seems hard for me to tell who is winning at a certain point of the game. Gotta play more often this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

-When is it a good moment to activate the alley maze (each player kills an oponent's minion)? It seems that you would never want to do so. Analogously for The coutyard

I just played for the first time, but I think some good uses of the courtyard would be:

1) when your opponent has no cards and would be drawing a card at the start of his turn anyway

2) similarly, if it is the end of the week, you are second player, and your opponent has 0-1 cards, since he is going to draw up to 2 anyway

3) if you drew a card at the start of your turn. Normally staring with one card is inefficient because it is one action to play the card, then one action to draw since you're out of cards... But you'd draw free next turn anyway. This way you get to play two cards where before you'd have played one and wasted the other action (unless you use a trinket or potion instead)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.