Subject: Grrr. Things break. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday as I was coming home from work some guy changed lanes. Into my lane, where I was.

Today my spiffy smartphone broke. Screen flickers, then whole phone freezes, then it reboots and immediately starts the whole mess over again. I tried pulling the battery for a few minutes, but as soon as the battery is back the whole thing starts over again.

It could be lots worse. I was unharmed in the car accident, my car is even still drivable (but looks like hell because of the mushed in and scraped side). And insurance will cover the cost of the repairs. Meanwhile, my phone is still under warranty, so I should get a new or repaired phone eventually. Maybe being without a phone for a week or two will be good for me anyway.

But still, it's frustrating.

Sorry, just wanted to vent a bit. Nothing much to read here. Move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That sucks. I almost got into a car accident yesterday, myself. I was coming downhill through the intersection when some lady decides to run the red light very slowly in front of me. I had enough time to slam the brakes and narrowly avoid her rear fender (by about 2 feet) as she drove at a clip of about 10mph through the intersection. I was pretty rattled after that. And now I need to buy a new pair of tires as my front tires have some serious wear in some spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need one more thing to break to reach the level of epic breaking.
Would you like me to come over and sledgehammer your computer? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
You need one more thing to break to reach the level of epic breaking.
Would you like me to come over and sledgehammer your computer? ninja
I don't think you understand my point here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I drive about 4 miles to the school where I serve lunch (chicken patties today) and then about 1.5 miles to the "Y" and then home.

Very few crazies to hit me, but one will get me someday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should use your phone to take some pics of the car...

Bummer about the accident Bill. Was it the Miata? Clearly, you should have tele-commuted yesterday.

Glad to hear you are undamaged though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
Was it the Miata?
Yup. Still the only car I've ever owned. My friends were joking that hey, maybe it was finally time to get a new car! But no, even if the insurance company refuses to fix this and just declares the car totalled (might happen, the blue book value is around $1600 and I know that body work+paint job isn't cheap), I'll still hang on to it.

I can't telecommute much. There are these buttons I need to press. And oscilloscope probes I need to connect. And I²C sniffers I need to plug in. And etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling. Sometimes, you just want to be annoyed at these inconveniences. My wife teases me with me "first world problems" from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter did an evasive maneouver last week, to avoid being swiped by a car cutting her off, and turned her car into the curb. Hard.
No accident, but the broken tierod and replacement tire rim cost me $600 to have repaired. Out of my own pocket, not insurance.
Grrrr, indeed.

And, while your insurance will pay for the physical repairs, you still have to spend time to go to the repair shop, and get a rental, and wait for estimates, etc, and screw around while your car is out of commission, and no one pays you for that. I feel your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:
Was it the Miata?
Yup. Still the only car I've ever owned. My friends were joking that hey, maybe it was finally time to get a new car! But no, even if the insurance company refuses to fix this and just declares the car totalled (might happen, the blue book value is around $1600 and I know that body work+paint job isn't cheap), I'll still hang on to it.

I can't telecommute much. There are these buttons I need to press. And oscilloscope probes I need to connect. And I²C sniffers I need to plug in. And etc.

From recent experience, I can tell you it would probably be worth your sanity to hang on to it if totaled. My own car was totaled three weeks ago ('97 Corolla + center car in a rear-end sandwich + Blue Book value $2,200 = farewell, reliable friend), and I haven't been able to find a viable (read: cheap but good condition) replacement yet. Now I'm wishing I'd kept it and paid for the repairs out of pocket -- it would have been less costly on a whole variety of levels.

Anyway. Figured I'd use your venting thread to vent a little myself. As Mabby says, I feel your pain. At least my phone still works, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

Again?

Damn. We are really going to have to bring someone in to have a look at this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
My daughter did an evasive maneouver last week, to avoid being swiped by a car cutting her off, and turned her car into the curb. Hard

Your avatar is asking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.