Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opening two gates? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
Literally mid-game as I post this--we drew the rumor card that makes you draw two Mythos cards every turn, thus potentially opening two gates to the Other Worlds each time. Does that mean we add two tokens to the Doom Track? What if one already has a gate open? Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each mythos card is treated separately, and has all its normal effects. If a gate opens, a doom token is placed; if there is already a gate on the location, there is a monster surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Each mythos card is treated separately, and has all its normal effects. If a gate opens, a doom token is placed; if there is already a gate on the location, there is a monster surge.

Important thing to note here is that the Doom token is added by the gate opening and not by the Mythos card directly. So location encounter cards that open gates will also cause Doom tokens to be added.

And as Bern points out, when drawing two Mythos cards just resolve them sequentially. Completely resolve the first one, then the next. Then it should be pretty clear how to handle things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dead_cowboy wrote:
Literally mid-game as I post this--we drew the rumor card that makes you draw two Mythos cards every turn, thus potentially opening two gates to the Other Worlds each time. Does that mean we add two tokens to the Doom Track? What if one already has a gate open? Any help is appreciated.

I think I had that one in a recent PBF, and I think it tells you exactly how to deal with it. It says to ignore everything on the first card except the gate opening. But that does imply that you handle it normally. So, yes, if you open a new gate you would add a Doom Token for the first card, and then another if the second card also opens a new gate. If the first one hits an open gate, that's still a monster surge. If it hits a sealed location, then nothing happens.

The only things you don't do are apply the Mythos ability, add clues, and move monsters for the first card. But other than that the gate opening part is handled just as if it was a normal gate opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:

I think I had that one in a recent PBF, and I think it tells you exactly how to deal with it. It says to ignore everything on the first card except the gate opening.

Good catch, Allan; I was mixing up "The Great Ritual" with the special power of the AO Zhar... but the advice is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.