Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been wondering that myself. Seems like we may have to wait until they reveal the rules next month, unless some friendly designer wishes to share some intel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
piqued my interest too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to wait. If you take a look at
http://www.alderac.com/smashup/about/
it says

"When the game begins, players take turns drafting one of several faction decks. Once each player has two decks, they shuffle them together, combining their distinct abilities into a unique 40-card deck. Players then deal out a number of Base cards, and play their decks to attempt to have the most power on a base when it is scored."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
No need to wait. If you take a look at
http://www.alderac.com/smashup/about/
it says

"When the game begins, players take turns drafting one of several faction decks. Once each player has two decks, they shuffle them together, combining their distinct abilities into a unique 40-card deck. Players then deal out a number of Base cards, and play their decks to attempt to have the most power on a base when it is scored."

Thanks for that. Sounds like drafting is an interesting process in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the shuffle part, but not the building. So you create a deck of cards and play them. Does your deck gain more cards over time? Do you attempt to make a stronger deck over time by culling unwanted cards? How does the deck build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds more like you just choose two factions and smoosh them together. At that point your deck is built. Might be wrong but I think it is that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
Sounds like drafting is an interesting process in itself.

No, I think "drafting one of several faction decks" just means choosing which faction you're going to play, not choosing individual cards to go into the faction deck. Like, all the factions are laid out on the table, then player 1 chooses robots, player 2 chooses ninjas, player 1 chooses pirates as their second deck, and player 2 chooses wizards as their second deck. Drafting complete.

Then P1 shuffles their robots and pirates together, and P2 shuffles their ninjas and wizards together. Shufflebuilding complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:

No, I think "drafting one of several faction decks" just means choosing which faction you're going to play, not choosing individual cards to go into the faction deck. Like, all the factions are laid out on the table, then player 1 chooses robots, player 2 chooses ninjas, player 1 chooses pirates as their second deck, and player 2 chooses wizards as their second deck. Drafting complete.

Then P1 shuffles their robots and pirates together, and P2 shuffles their ninjas and wizards together. Shufflebuilding complete.

Yup. It seems to fit the definition of a draft, but it isn't really what comes to mind when I think "draft".

As for "shuffle-building", I think it is just a marketing play. It invokes the "I am like Dominion or Quarriors but slightly different so look at me!" fad, but isn't really a mechanic like I'd think of deck-building. Just like the "draft", this isn't what comes to mind when I hear "something-building" Frankly, it's smoke and mirrors, but it got me to look at the game and be interested for other reasons. So, whatevs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
breegull wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:

Yup. It seems to fit the definition of a draft, but it isn't really what comes to mind when I think "draft".

As for "shuffle-building", I think it is just a marketing play. It invokes the "I am like Dominion or Quarriors but slightly different so look at me!" fad, but isn't really a mechanic like I'd think of deck-building. Just like the "draft", this isn't what comes to mind when I hear "something-building" Frankly, it's smoke and mirrors, but it got me to look at the game and be interested for other reasons. So, whatevs.

It's a FANTASTIC direction for CCGs to go in. Don't make us choose 40 to 60 cards. Let us quickly choose 2 or 6 things that comprise blocks/sets of cards. Still really easy to get a game going very quickly, but also strategic and full of possibilities.

edit: by CCGs, I actually mean any card game where you build a deck before the game starts. Smash Up isn't a ccg. Though it definitely looks expandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a simple concept, but a neat idea.

I believe they use the term "draft" because players are taking turns selecting possible factions (20 card decks) from a community pool and each selection causes the pool to shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
I believe they use the term "draft" because players are taking turns selecting possible factions (20 card decks) from a community pool and each selection causes the pool to shrink.

This is correct.

"Shufflebuilding" basically you build your deck by shuffling your two factions together. Easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
foxtrot2620 wrote:

This is correct.

"Shufflebuilding" basically you build your deck by shuffling your two factions together. Easy!

Here I thought it was a gentle clever poke at all the "deck-building" games where all you do in them is shuffle shuffle shuffle. Avast. Ah who cares? I still think it's funny. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.