Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Olson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
Quote:
situation I can recall was player knowing he held 3 other vitals (think were all 5s) so only 1 safe play or discard in which we had no time to give info. He decided to discard, 'losing' our 25-point attempt whilst I pointed out that since white 4 was in discard & playable, & I think he knew it was a 4, he should have played it since we still had '3 lives'.

Yeah, but I think rhitmojo's point is that the other players should never have left him in a "forced discard" situation if he's holding 3 terminal cards. If P2 is holding the terminals, then P1 should have discarded. That way, if P1 has a card he knows is playable, or a really obvious clue to give, but discards instead, then P2 should hopefully infer that they are in a situation where it's dangerous to discard and give a clue instead.

Then again, it all comes down to your groups playing style. In my group (which, full disclosure, includes rhitmojo, so I'll probably take his side more often than not), it is assumed that we'd never leave you in a position where you have to discard unless it's safe. If you group has a different style I can see how that might not go the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Oh
United Kingdom
PRESTON
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it was a new game to us, so can't say we have a style. If folks think my tip is useless, so be it cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
www.fictionontheweb.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired Hanabi recently and have been enjoying it very much.

This guide is utterly, utterly comprehensive and brilliant.

Tips to you, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhitmojo wrote:
Don't get discard happy:
(snip)
If we look at the numbers a somewhat startling revelation can be seen. There are 50 cards in a Hanabi deck. If we look at a 4 player game (the best Hanabi experience IMHO) then 12 of those cards are already in the players hands. 25 cards need to be played and replaced for the perfect game. That leaves just 9 cards left in the deck to refill your discards.
(snip)
Shouldn't the "12" be a "16"? Is this a typo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Thygra wrote:
rhitmojo wrote:
Don't get discard happy:
(snip)
If we look at the numbers a somewhat startling revelation can be seen. There are 50 cards in a Hanabi deck. If we look at a 4 player game (the best Hanabi experience IMHO) then 12 of those cards are already in the players hands. 25 cards need to be played and replaced for the perfect game. That leaves just 9 cards left in the deck to refill your discards.
(snip)
Shouldn't the "12" be a "16"? Is this a typo?

Yes, this was a typo. Fixed! (Thanks for pointing it out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Salerno
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Posting here, because there are multiple BGG entries for Hanabi, and this thread has been massively helpful to me in learning the finer points of the game.

Our gaming group put together a set of card markers for Hanabi that help to reduce the memory aspects of the game and make it into more of a pure logic game (for those interested in such a modification).

Hanabi Card Markers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |