Subject: No longer available? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
It seems that I always learn about things a little too late (I just discovered this whole genre and type of single player rpg/adventure game yesterday and have already ordered SHCD). Unfortunatly, The iDetective games do no seem to be available for purchase at the links provided. Where can I get them from now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer probably lost heart when his indiegogo (Kickstarter-like site) project for the 3rd case only raised $18 of the $2,000 goal.

As someone who's played both of his earlier cases, I'd say don't worry about it. You're not missing that much. Stick with SHCD and all the expansions you can get of that one. The designer acted a little shady, anyways. He was going around BGG and posting about his own game as if he'd never heard of it, like "I just found this great new game! You should check it out!" without even the forethought to change his BGG username to something different from the name he published under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
The designer acted a little shady, anyways. He was going around BGG and posting about his own game as if he'd never heard of it, like "I just found this great new game! You should check it out!" without even the forethought to change his BGG username to something different from the name he published under.

Tell me about it. Before he got going with all that he sent me an unsolicited email offering pdfs of SHCD, since it was on my wishlist. I've scanned rules of OOP games for fellow BGGers before, just being generous, so at first that's what I thought it was, but then he said the "scanning fee" would be $50 for 2-hours worth of scanning. shake And at this time SHCD was selling for as low as $15 on Ebay.

So although I was curious about iDetective I could never get over that initial weird SPAMish interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok, guys. Thank you. This whole genre reminds me of the games I used to make to for my friends when I was a kid. My older brother used to have a ton of these tabletop type games on a bookshelf in his room. I would copy elements from them and make them a little more choose your adventure, rather than dice rolling. Who knows, I'm a stay at home dad now, so perhaps this will convince me to try my hand at that kind of thing again.

If anyone can think of other games along these lines that I might like, that BGG doesn't already recommend as a top recommendation, then please let me know. I hate missing out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
bingo414 wrote:
Ok, guys. Thank you. This whole genre reminds me of the games I used to make to for my friends when I was a kid. My older brother used to have a ton of these tabletop type games on a bookshelf in his room. I would copy elements from them and make them a little more choose your adventure, rather than dice rolling. Who knows, I'm a stay at home dad now, so perhaps this will convince me to try my hand at that kind of thing again.

If anyone can think of other games along these lines that I might like, that BGG doesn't already recommend as a top recommendation, then please let me know. I hate missing out!

If you're not already aware of it, Tales of the Arabian Nights is similar to this type of game as well, and the Z-man edition is beautifully produced. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Arkham Horror is great too, but it has a lot of dice as well as the 'story-telling' element. Tons of theme though and well-implemented. If you play solo try with 3 investigators (it's not that hard to keep track of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumshoe was designed by the same people that dis Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it is very good, though not as good as SHCD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
thejadeape wrote:
Gumshoe was designed by the same people that dis Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it is very good, though not as good as SHCD.

And very expensive too. Otherwise it'd be in the mail on the way to me already. I'll be keeping an eye out for it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bingo414 wrote:
thejadeape wrote:

And very expensive too. Otherwise it'd be in the mail on the way to me already. I'll be keeping an eye out for it. Thank you.

Yeah, I just lost out on an eBay battle for Gumshoe last week. I think I dropped out at like $55. It went for $1 more. I'm betting it was another BGGer I was up against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet, but I got The Martian Investigations for a few bucks. Cheep and seems to be well done.

bingo414 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.