Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm looking to get a medium-light worker placement game I can bring out with just about anybody. Therefore it needs to be easy to teach (for the new players) and fun to play repeatedly (for me).

I've narrowed the choice down to four and I'd like some input on which would best fit my criteria.

- Stone Age
- Village
- Lords of Waterdeep
- Carson City

Thanks

EDIT: No kids involved.

(If you'd like to suggest other WP games you think I may have overlooked, then that's fine. It needs to be medium-light, less than 2 hours to teach and play with newbies, play well for 2, 3 or 4 players and look fairly pretty.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
The other one that goes with these is The Pillars of the Earth.

I've already commented in your other thread, but here is my take:

Stone Age - very Euro, beautiful looking, takes a little longer than it should, best with 2p in my opinion, slight rule changes with player count, some people hate the dice but I like them. Pretty easy to teach. There's more tactics with the order you resolve your workers than the other games have.

Lords of Waterdeep - less Euro, more direct, plays quick, equally good from 2-5, no rule changes, very easy to teach. Card art is very nice, fantasy theme.

Carson City - interesting mix of worker placement, map connection, dice combat. It's reasonably straightfoward, but can get a little fiddly, I hate the dice in this one, and the combat means you have no guarantees. I'd say it was a little heavier than the others, even thought the dice mean less control. Longer than LOW. Not quite so easy to teach. The map makes it more complex I think.

Pillars of the Earth - very tight system, easy to teach, lovely art (same artist as Stone Age). This is a game where you have to eke out efficiency gains to win. Player strategies diverge due to craftsman purchases, which the above games don't have so much. My main problem was the cards are small and a little hard to read with my poor eyesight. And drawing the builders out of the bag gives more randomness than I liked. But my friends love it.

Village - never heard of it sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I forgot about

Fresco - I only played once, but I really liked it. It's light, nice looking, has a slight blind bidding aspect. I've heard that the mini expansion included in the box are really great too.

Another WP I know of is

Royal Palace - it's not quite as heavy as Agricola or Caylus, but it's heavier than you want, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're asking 1 from your list, I'll go with LoW.

Stone age - it's a good game, and meets all your criteria, but IMO the civ cards plays too big of a role in scoring. New players might not grasp the ability of those cards fast enough which will give the game to those who does. (That happened to me quite a bit at least)

Carson City - I never played this one personally, but I read the rules and find it a lil' fiddly with the map connection part. It also seems harder to teach than the other 2. If you want a similarly themed medium-light euro, I'll suggest Deadwood, but do note it's not as good as a 2 player game.

As for other suggestions :
Last Will : interesting idea of losing money instead of gaining to win.

Fresco : definitely looks nice on the table. Scales well from 2~ 4, and the modules included can help you adjust its weight. However it lacks the "competition for different spots" feel that other WP has, other than it's "wake up system" for turn order.

Pergamon : Not exactly a WP, since it's main focus is it's unique turn order system (which I find VERY interesting) , but it's still a medium-light euro so yeah

Hawaii: Looks great on the table, different strategies to win and plays well with 2~4.

The Manhattan Project : a game I'm looking into myself. Seems to scale well and has TONS of interaction for a WP. Might be a lil' heavier than what you're looking for tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Cookie
United Kingdom
London
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep.

It has bit more player interaction and isn't just solely about get resources, turn them into points. I like that you have objectives and the quest (?) cards can change things too.

I generally don't like Worker placement games as they're all the saaaaaame. Whereas LoW has a different feel to it and it bit more going for it I think.

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
+1 stone age
+1 lords of waterdeep

they are enough different and equally nice to have both in your collection

carson city is a bit heavier than the others, but even more boring for us

I don't know village but I think it does anything different from the usual worker placement, except that the characters can die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age or Lords of Waterdeep are good choices.

Fresco I find is very easy to teach and the mechanics fit the theme. Plus mini expansions are good!

Don't go near Last Will for newbies, it's not an intuitive game. Both games I played the teaching phase wasn't easy and it wasn't till the end of the game did every one 'get' the game in it's entirety. I'd say it's the next level up in complexity and I do recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
After one play of Lords of Waterdeep and 3-4 of Stone Age, I prefer Stone Age. Strategically speaking, I think Stone Age allows you to use mostly open information to craft a plan as the game commences as opposed to Lords of Waterdeep whose Lord Cards pretty much dictate your strategy before the game begins.

I like to feel like I'm figuring out my path to victory - not be told what it will be!

blake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McCulloch
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Pillars of the Earth or Fresco would be the ones that look good and are easy to grasp or teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Wilton
Canada
London
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carson City

As far as worker placement games go, which are usually quite solitary in nature, the ability to fight eachother for "placements" really pushes this one ahead for me. There's many fun approaches to victory in this game and everyone will understand the basics after the first round.

The free expansion which allows you to tailor your starting "character" is a nice bonus and adds replayability too. + Cowboy Meeples!!! (Awesome & appealing to more than DnD, cavemen or dusty builders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really only know LoW and Carson City from the list of games above, and I would hands down go LoW for both ease of teaching and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the bandwagon: Lords of Waterdeep is faster, more fun, and easier to teach to new people than Stone Age. It's easier to teach mainly because there's a more direct tie between the resources you gather and the points you earn - none of that crazy conditional hut calculation stuff that competitive Stone Age players engage in.

However, Carson City is the best gamer's game of these, with the best long-term replayability fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Village, but I own the other three. All work well for a fun, accessible worker placement game.

Lords of Waterdeep is the easiest to teach and offers some variability with the different buildings that come out each game, but can feel a bit samey in that there is only one path to victory - complete more quests for more points than anyone else. Still, highly fun and I haven't gotten tired of it yet.

Stone Age is also easy to teach, but the civ cards can be confusing to new gamers. Multiple paths to victory are nice here and the game is relatively balanced amongst those.

Carson City is the heaviest and I wouldn't consider it easy to teach. There are a lot of different building types which all score different amounts per turn which changes on the fly based on your and other's actions. There is a lot of depth and this might offer the most replayability, but I wouldn't consider it easy for non-gamers.

All great games, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probaby find your happy medium with Stone Age.

Depending on what you mean by newbies, Carson City would definitely be too much game for them, and even amongst knowledgable players the whole city building aspect can be lost on them. Lords of Waterdeep is fun, for sure, but the lightest of the bunch and offers little to no replay value in terms of strategy, but some good reply in terms of mindless fun.

I haven't played Village yet, but it seems to be harder than Stone Age and more complex.

Again, I'll throw Hawaii into the mix. I'm continuously surprised that this game hasn't relaced Stone Age in everyones collection and suggest you take a look at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Stone Age. Great game, and easy to teach.

I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep, but keep in mind that a lot of people outside the gaming community attach a pretty big stigma to anything D&D related, so you may get some friction if you are trying to introduce a D&D-themed game (even as lightly themed as it is) to non-gamers. I think non-gamers would be more readily attracted to and interested in playing Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep, but keep in mind that a lot of people outside the gaming community attach a pretty big stigma to anything D&D related, ...

I don't think that applies in my country. I expect that if you're not a gamer already, you probably have never heard of it. Or you might know that it's a fantasy RPG, but no more than that.

I think I have played it two or three times at cons myself. I remember thinking that combat took too long.

bchlax944 wrote:
Again, I'll throw Hawaii into the mix. I'm continuously surprised that this game hasn't relaced Stone Age in everyones collection and suggest you take a look at it

But I watched a video review of that game and was left with the impression that I would soon have my daughter throw it in the garbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

I'd look at Tribune: Primus Inter Pares - not simple but definitely on the lighter side, easily an hour to 90 minutes even w/1st time players, no plastic or wood bits but otherwise reasonably spiffy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zong Shi This is a new worker placement. I get my copy tonight. You have a master and an apprentice and how you place them changes things. Can't say much else as I haven't played it yet.

Carson City is one of my absolute favorite games. I'm afraid though the cutthroat of being able to duel for different spots may turn newbies off if more experience players are too mean (shame on them).

Stone Age - Great for teaching to newbies. I think it's too slow and boring unless it's a 2 player game.

Fresco - A beautiful game that is easy to teach. I'm worried the reputability might be low and might become to simplistic over time. However the game comes with 'mini' expansions that enhance the complexity of the game and there is already a few expansions that do the same thing.

The Pillars of the Earth - My first worker placement. A lot of fun and easy to understand the concept. Not the easiest game to learn but it all makes sense fairly quickly.

No experience with Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Stone Age and Carson City. I like both but I find CC way more fun and a much better game. Surprisingly my wife loves CC. CC does take a little more for people to understand at first but I also have friends that have played Stone Age a number of times and still can't get a handle on the end of game scoring. If you are playing with the same group over and over I would go for Carson. It might take a little to explain at first but by far my fav worker placement. If you just want brain dead easy then Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.