Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 273 - Absolute Zero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the 273rd Play-By-Forum Battlestar Galactica game (actually, I counted and we are currently well over 300 games, including variants, but let's stick with the regular numbering). It will follow the format established by ColtsFan76. It is a 5-player, European timezone, Base game.

Players

This game is by invitation only. The waiting list is being maintained at the BSG PBF Wiki.

The crew consists of:
Cruniac
Xodan
Aerrie
USTUN
Sunchaser

Rule changes

None.

Playing notes

The regulations of the game are pretty much as in all the other threads. If this is your first BSG PBF game, please read through at least one of the previous games to get a feeling for how it is done.

Some particular notes for those taking part (you can find more notes and tips on nbergom's geeklist Tips and Tricks of BSG PBF):

1) Subscribe to this thread.

2) Please, login at least once a day, preferably more. As this is a European game, you might expect most players to have some time in the evenings. Logging on at least twice in the evening would probably do a lot to keep the game moving. Note that I have a 24-hour rule in place: when it is your turn to act, I expect you to respond within 24 hours; if not, then I am going to take measures, which may lead to seeking a replacement if your absence was unannounced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

3) All players must have their own copies of the game as I am only going to publish card titles (this is an FFG request).

4) Private communication will be by geekmail between me and particular players, all other communication will be by posting in this thread. Please start your geekmail subject line with "BSG 273" and your character name.

5) To speed up the game, please use Conditional Orders (i.e., geekmail me what you will do if certain circumstances arise). CO's are particularly useful for interrupts, such as Evasive Maneuvers. I will not wait for rare occurrences (e.g., a player using a Strategic Planning on a basestar attack or a viper attacking a raider, or a player using his OPG) unless I have received a CO to that end, or if I feel that discussions in the thread warrant it. I will not ask for Strategic Plannings on scouting rolls as long as there are still at least two raptors available. Note that I prefer not to get "public CO's" until all Cylons are known.

6) Please use the following posting conventions:
* Normal text for discussions.
* Italics for flavor texts.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread or I receive them by geekmail.

7) Please, make clear in each post who your character is by posting a banner at the top of your post. Great banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here (use the "medium" option to display them). If you find using a banner is too much of a hassle (or you are on your phone), at least list your character name (preferably in bold) at the top of your post.

8) For flavor, a useful selection of character pictures is hosted on this geeklist by GerryRailBaron, though by all means provide your own if you wish. Easy, quick links to the items on Gerry's geeklist are provided by selwyth here.

9) Please do not post any (big) spoilers for the television series in the thread.

Acknowledgments

My thanks to Orphius, whose spreadsheets I am using to mod this game.

My previously moderated games are:
BSG 101 - Mockingbird
BSG 123 - Blue Dragon
BSG 146 - Wake Up and Smell the Tylium
BSG 153 - Idus Martii
BSG 180 - Bull's Eye
BSG 192 - Cylon Breakfast
BSG 205 - Astro Farm
BSG 222 - Tea For Two
BSG 240 - Two For Tea
BSG 249 - Battlestar Lollipop

The name of this game refers to the temperature of -273.15 degrees Celsius, which is absolute zero, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
The name of this game refers to the temperature of -273.15 degrees Celsius, which is absolute zero, of course.

Also known as: the temperature of the crew of Galactica, after they run out of fuel and are left stranded, drifting through space until they can no longer heat their ships and they freeze to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aka: Heat Death of the Universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

Also known as: the temperature of the crew of Galactica, after they run out of fuel and are left stranded, drifting through space until they can no longer heat their ships and they freeze to death.

Actually, with the cosmic microwave background radiation equivalent to a temperature of 2.725K (according to Wiki), they'd reach equilibrium with their surroundings at around -270.5 (give or take the effects of nearby stars, nebulae, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just sent out invitations. I will wait for 24 hours before I let alternates join. Now, this is the weekend, which means BGG gets fewer hits; furthermore, according to the waiting list at least one invitee is currently on vacation. So alternates have a good chance to get in.

Still, feel free to decline if you have your heart set on a different kind of game. As long as you respond in some form, you keep your place on the waiting list. AFAIK another new game will start up soon anyway.

Note: USTUN and Cruniac desired to be in the same game, so I invited them both. I am a bit hesitant about players who know each other too well to join the same game, but they were in a game together before, and I checked that one out: I did not see any problems arising there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite.
I'll gladly join as alternate if you need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have only heard from two alternates until now. I guess that is because of the weekend.

Still, from Sunday afternoon, the game is open to the first five who respond from the invitees and alternates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Only one response today. I hope that that is because of the weekend, and that tomorrow morning we get to start the game. If not, then I'll send out some extra invitations in the afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferit Erel
Turkey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the invitation! I'm in, Ustun should be in also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Poštulka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I am in if there is still a spot. It was the weekend so I have not checked in, especially since this was the first PM I got after about 5 months.

I have read a few of the games you moderated Connor and I like your style so it should be fun.

Been waiting a long time for a game and base game suits me so looking forward to it.

I am from the Czech Republic, which is the heart of Europe.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It looks like the crew will consist of Cruniac, USTUN, Aerrie, Xodan, and Sunchaser. bagg09tn left it to me to decide whether or not to include him; he will be without Internet for a full week during the early game. As I hope to finish this game before the Summer holidays, it seems best to let him join a different game.

I have not heard from USTUN yet, though, and I would like to hear from him before crew selection is final. I am traveling at the moment anyway, so I hope he posts a message before I arrive in about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Üstün
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
Cruniac warned me about invitation. I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Then the crew consists of USTUN, Cruniac, Aerrie, Xodan, and Sunchaser! Welcome!

I will start the game very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Poštulka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thanks for having me despite my late reply, I wish everyone good luck and lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First, character picks.

I will now roll for player order, highest goes first, equal rolls are re-rolled:

USTUN - 1d100 = (22) = 22
Cruniac - 1d100 = (91) = 91
Aerrie - 1d100 = (69) = 69, reroll: 1d100 = (62) = 62
Xodan - 1d100 = (75) = 75
Sunchaser - 1d100 = (69) = 69, reroll: 1d100 = (13) = 13

This means player order is:
Cruniac
Xodan
Aerrie
USTUN
Sunchaser

Cruniac, you are up first to select a character.

Once you have a character selected, I will address you by the name of the character.

Furthermore, I have a question for all of you: Would you like to play with a light variant? The variant I am proposing is:
- Pegasus-style limit to the Quorum hand (i.e., no more than 10 cards in hand).
- Pegasus-style Investigative Committees (i.e., destiny is not revealed).
- Pegasus-style Caprica (i.e., the card that is not picked will be buried instead of discarded, and jump icons are not ignored).
- Pegasus-style handing off of loyalty cards (i.e., a Cylon who reveals immediately gets to hand his remaining loyalty cards to another player).

The default is that we will use the regular base game rules, and if anyone votes against using the proposed variant we will also stick with the base game rules. So let me know.

Incidentally, as not everybody is familiar with playing PBF BSG, feel free to ask any questions that you have. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 131267. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (22) =
  • Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 am
  • [+]
  • 131268. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (91) =
  • [+]
  • 131269. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (69) =
  • [+]
  • 131270. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (75) =
  • [+]
  • 131271. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (69) =
  • [+]
  • 131272. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (62) =
  • Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am
  • [+]
  • 131273. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (13) =
  • Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my third PBF and in all of them I was last player. Maybe I should change my name...

I'm fine with all of the proposed rule changes. I still haven't played any of the expansions and hence would like to see how the rule changes affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Poštulka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thanks starting the game,

what should we call you? - Pieter? Connor?

I am neutral in regards to the variants so I do not really mind whether we play any of them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunchaser wrote:
This is my third PBF and in all of them I was last player. Maybe I should change my name...

Had I known then I might have pushed the die a little...

I'll take it into account should you join a next game of mine. Anyway, this is a five-player game and my experience is that turns roll by fast. Perhaps if you have a favorite character to pick, you can indicate it now, so that others can take that into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerrie wrote:

Pieter or Mod will do. Or anything, as long it is not insulting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Poštulka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Aerrie wrote:

Pieter or Mod will do. Or anything, as long it is not insulting

Got it Pieter, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunchaser wrote:
I'm fine with all of the proposed rule changes. I still haven't played any of the expansions and hence would like to see how the rule changes affect the game.

The biggest changes are Caprica (which may hurt the Cylons) and the ICs (which helps the Cylons). The Quorum deck change is to avoid an exploit (which occurred in one PBF game at least) where the President just keeps drawing the same ABFs over and over again, and the loyalty card change is just to avoid the irritating situation in which one person receives both loyalty cards and therefore has to reveal quick and waste one precious action as a revealed Cylon to choose a second Cylon.

I think the changes that Pegasus made to the rules in this respect are a definite improvement. However, as far as the ICs are concerned, Pegasus also adds the Guts & Initiative cards, which allow the players to use ICs as in the base game (because they do not add destiny to a check). We don't have those in the base game, so the change to the ICs is a bit more nerfing than in Pegasus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Üstün
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
I dont like Pegasus-style Caprica but like the other rules

If no one denies ok for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Poštulka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Let us try and CO everything we can to make the game smooth guys.

Atm, we can send our character lists to the mod apart from those who want to see what will have been picked by the time it is their turn.

The same goes for starting hands later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I support CO's, but they are by no means a requirement. If you log on enough, CO's are not so important. And if you want to write some nice banter with your statements, by all means do not give a CO but wait until your turn to act comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Perhaps if you have a favorite character to pick, you can indicate it now, so that others can take that into account.

I don't really have a favorite but given that I played Poltical Leaders or the Chief in recent games, I'd prefer to get a Military Leader or Pilot. But if we end up low in Politics, I'm fine with playing a Politician again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [39] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.