Joe Rowland
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I been thinking recently that I would like to open an online Game store.
I'm still in the early stages and I know I have a lot more to think about than just where to get my stock.

But looking around my self I can't really seem to find any wholesale retailers that sell board games. I found a few, but they seem to only really sell more classic games like monopoly.

One site a friend found for me was www.esdeviumgames.com, which does have a wide range of stock, but as I said I'm in the early stages right now so I think I would like to have a few more options.

Any websites based in the UK anyone could link me to or any advice anyone could give me to help me out would be much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked in a FLGS we got the vast majority of our stock from Esdevium. There was another company we used but I'm afraid I can't remember what they were called. I will do a bit of digging and see what I can find.

We also occasionally bought some stock from
http://www.paul-lamond.com/trade/?gclid=CJWoqqDeibACFUVc3wod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
So what will you be offering that other on-line UK based setters are not? Larger discounts, free shipping, faster orders?

Who do you currently buy your board games from and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wilson
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Do I own too many games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to point out there is a lot of compertion in the Board game market in the UK at the momnet on line with some heavy discounting happening.

If you go to Expo have a look around and a talk to some of the people there and see what they say.

I know my FLGS is working hard to keep up there sales and talking about how many on line retails are discounting games at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rowland
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your comments.
I know I have a lot to look into and I know there is a lot of competition out there right now, your comments have given me some things to think about.
But I know this is something I would really like to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
kingjoe338 wrote:
I know I have a lot to look into and I know there is a lot of competition out there right now, your comments have given me some things to think about.

"liking" to start a business is the worst reason to start a business. You start a business to make money. If you don't see a path to make money, then don't start a business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sims
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
TMVM wrote:
When I worked in a FLGS we got the vast majority of our stock from Esdevium. There was another company we used but I'm afraid I can't remember what they were called. I will do a bit of digging and see what I can find.

I believe that the other large boardgame distributor in the UK was Hobbygames, who went bankrupt a couple of years back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rowland
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Engineer Dad wrote:
kingjoe338 wrote:
But I know this is something I would really like to do :)

"liking" to start a business is the worst reason to start a business. You start a business to make money. If you don't see a path to make money, then don't start a business.

Ok, maybe 'like' is the wrong word.
I know this is a market I feel I have knowledge in. Being passionate about it too means I will be determind to make my business succeed.
I know there is a market in the UK for this and I know there is nothing like this in my area.
Ultimatley my goal is to open a physical store in my home town, as I know there is nothing like a gaming store in my area and I know there is a demand for one.

Thank you for your comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewsi wrote:
TMVM wrote:

I believe that the other large boardgame distributor in the UK was Hobbygames, who went bankrupt a couple of years back.

Yes that is exactly who I was trying to think of. I didn't realise they had gone bankrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rowland
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
andrewsi wrote:
TMVM wrote:

Yes that is exactly who I was trying to think of. I didn't realise they had gone bankrupt.

Oh, that's a shame. Well thanks for your help guys.
It looks like Esdevium is the best choice right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://coiledspring.co.uk/

I know this company also act as a Game Supplier.

You should make the effort to go o the uk games expo next weekend as I suspect all the main suppliers will be there and you'll get more info in a day there than a month online....

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjoe338 wrote:
Engineer Dad wrote:
kingjoe338 wrote:

Ok, maybe 'like' is the wrong word.
I know this is a market I feel I have knowledge in. Being passionate about it too means I will be determind to make my business succeed.
I know there is a market in the UK for this and I know there is nothing like this in my area.
Ultimatley my goal is to open a physical store in my home town, as I know there is nothing like a gaming store in my area and I know there is a demand for one.

Thank you for your comment.

Do you have any retail experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eclectic games
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Be aware of the differences between Online and Bricks'n'Mortar. It's very unlikely that you'll transition from having an Online business into having a store front if past experience of the industry is anything to go by. The other way round, having a store and moving into online sales is much more possible, provided you can make your business work.

Suppliers Eclectic Games uses for boardgames.

Esdevium - this is your go-to supplier for hobby boardgames
Coiled Spring
Paul Lamond
Green Board Games Company
Cheatwell Games

Independent games publishers that have one or two cool games are a matter of going to somewhere like Expo and finding them. Talk to them, work out what you think will sell, arrange directly.

Where's 'your area'? If you're looking at online, then I'm afraid your competition is Gameslore, Boardgameguru, Leisure Games...

As usual, have you got a business plan, what capital have you secured, etc, etc, use the resources in the sticky threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.