Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear friends

I have spent some time drafting an Extended Expanded Sequence of Play for PQ-17. The EESOP covers everything in the rules in the order you need to consider it as you play this excellent game (I assure you, I would not have spent 30 hours on this were it not for this game being remarkably good and fun). The EESOP is therefore fairly large but comprehensive.

During the quite considerable examination of the rules that went with this process, as well as the testing of the EESOP through its use, some questions and possible inconsistencies with certain rules arose. As I finalise the EESOP, I would appreciate any views on these questions. I hope to finalise the EESOP and share it with you all in the next several days. Thank you kindly in advance for your assistance.

Todd

1. Rearming torpedoes: Rule 7.3.2 states ships that spend a turn in a designated port can then make torpedo attacks again in subsequent turns. However, there is no similar rule like the refuelling ones that say you remove the Torp expended marker in the Fuel Phase. Yet the Expanded Sequence of Play/Turn Summary suggests this might be the case.

2. What is the Home Fleet? Is the Home Fleet the fleet with the Carrier that starts at Scapa Flow or is it indicative of all Heavy allied ships in the theatre? Rule 4.3 says the Home Fleet gets 8 command points (CPs). The example under 4.3.2 has some ships expending CPs and then has the ‘Home Fleet’ expending more. What is the difference, if any, between these two groups of ships? Presumably all British Heavy ships draw from the Home Fleet command point pool?

3. There seems to be two definitions of Interceptors. Those Fighters that are depicted on the map (1.1.2) and any counter that has the same Air Combat Rating and CS (1.5.3). This is confusing. The Scramble rules suggest both kinds of Interceptors can scramble, the map fighters and any counter that has the same CS and Air Combat Rating. The example of play and map and additional references throughout the rulebook suggest Interceptors are those units painted on the map. Therefore, some clarification regarding 1.5.3, including its heading, may be needed?

4. If there are more attacking fighter counters than Scrambled, can the attacker attack with his extra air units? For example, two fighter and one bomber counter attacks a port. A single fighter counter scrambles and targets one of the fighter counters. Can the second attacker counter attack the single scrambling fighter? A past response from Mr Janiec here on BGG suggested it cannot. Perhaps this could be clarified in a future update if this is the case?

5. Sequence of Play 2B(6)f. states “Increase the target force’s ID to ID2 Day/ID1 Night [6.7]” However, 6.7 only says to increase ID to 2 after air attack.

6. If enemy Recon planes are engaged via Scramble (updated 7.2.1), at what point in the Sequence of Play are they so engaged? Before or after they have done their recon? I currently have them in the Air Combat Segment in my EESOP.

7. Would appreciate clarification on the circumstances in which a Recon (R) plane can be Scrambled against (as per updated 7.2.1). I have assumed that it is only if the (R) unit is in the same hex as Fighters/Interceptors are based? Additionally, I assume a shadowing air unit can only be scrambled aganst if it enters a hex containing an airbase with Fighters. And not Interceptors as shadowing ends when the shadowing unit enters a hex adjacent to an airbase containing Interceptors [6.3.5].

8. Presumably if Light Ships split from Heavy Ships in a TF that is already at Low Fuel and thus its Fuel Status marker is on the Fuel Danger side, the Fuel Status marker which now only belongs to the Heavy Ships moves 4 days forward, then back three turns and flipped to Fuel Warning side? For example, on Day 7 PM in the Fuel Status Segment, the Time marker is moved to Day 8 AM where TF6’s Fuel Status marker is. TF6, consisting of Heavy and Light Ships flips its Fuel Warning marker to the Fuel Danger side, moves it ahead three spaces to Day 9 PM and puts a Low Fuel marker in its TF box. Now we move to Day 8 AM. In the Split Forces phase, TF 6 rids itself of these slow DDs and a TF8 is created, placing its Fuel marker Danger side up at 9 PM and taking a Low Fuel marker. Now that TF 6 only has Heavy Ships, it is entitled to move its Fuel marker 4 days ahead. However, that Fuel Marker is still on the Danger side. So can it take the three spaces back and flip it back to the Fuel Warning side given in reality the Heavy Ships were never in a Low Fuel situation? I assume that they can but the rules do not address this particular situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
5. Sequence of Play 2B(6)f. states “Increase the target force’s ID to ID2 Day/ID1 Night [6.7]” However, 6.7 only says to increase ID to 2 after air attack.

I was keen to support your project as I am a great fan of this game and all I could come up with about combat and ID levels in general were the following entries:

P.12 6.7 Combat and ID
After each round of surface combat, forces involved automatically increase to ID3 during Day turns/ID2 at Night. Air attack increases the ID of a target force to ID2. Submarine combat increases the ID of all forces involved to ID1. Combat cannot cause ID to decrease.

Again from P.17 7.5.2 Step vi. (resolving Surface combat)
Force ID — Increase the ID of all forces in the battle to ID3 if a Day turn or ID2 if Night [6.7].

Basically, I couldn't find a mention of night reducing the ID level adjustment of air attacks although it does make sense so perhaps you have detected an intention of Mr. Janiec that was not expressed in the main rule book but made it into the ESOP?

Also, your EEXOP sounds superb. Keep up the good work and you might end up being the Russ Gifford of PQ-17!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
Rule 7.3.2 states ships that spend a turn in a designated port can then make torpedo attacks again in subsequent turns. However, there is no similar rule like the refuelling ones that say you remove the Torp expended marker in the Fuel Phase. Yet the Expanded Sequence of Play/Turn Summary suggests this might be the case.

7.3.2 states you must spend a complete turn in a designated port. [emphasis added] Since the Fuel Phase is the last phase of a turn, that is when the Torps Expended markers may be removed (per the Turn Summary).

Quote:
What is the Home Fleet? Is the Home Fleet the fleet with the Carrier that starts at Scapa Flow or is it indicative of all Heavy allied ships in the theatre? Rule 4.3 says the Home Fleet gets 8 command points (CPs). The example under 4.3.2 has some ships expending CPs and then has the ‘Home Fleet’ expending more. What is the difference, if any, between these two groups of ships? Presumably all British Heavy ships draw from the Home Fleet command point pool?

All British and American ships in PQ-17 belong to the Home Fleet except for the 1/6 MF. I will clarify the example in 4.3.2 to avoid confusion.

Quote:
There seems to be two definitions of Interceptors. Those Fighters that are depicted on the map (1.1.2) and any counter that has the same Air Combat Rating and CS (1.5.3).

1.5.3 is not a definition. Counter mix limits precluded including an Interceptor counter for every aircraft type in the game. 1.5.3 is just telling you that you can use any available counter of the same Air Combat Rating and CS to represent an Interceptor unit when one scrambles.

Quote:
If there are more attacking fighter counters than Scrambled, can the attacker attack with his extra air units? For example, two fighter and one bomber counter attacks a port. A single fighter counter scrambles and targets one of the fighter counters. Can the second attacker counter attack the single scrambling fighter?

Sure, why not? Per 7.2.2, ths scramble prevents all of the attacking Fighters from bombing, so what else can they do?
I don't recall ever stating otherwise, though it is certainly true that each scrambling Fighter CS cannot attack more than once. So in your example, if all three Fighter units are 2CS, both attacking Fighter units can fire on the scrambling unit, which in turn may fire either both CS at one attacking Fighter or 1CS at each of them.

Quote:
A past response from Mr Janiec here on BGG suggested it cannot.

Can you indicate which thread, please? I may need to clarify.

Quote:
Sequence of Play 2B(6)f. states “Increase the target force’s ID to ID2 Day/ID1 Night [6.7]” However, 6.7 only says to increase ID to 2 after air attack.

The rules are correct. The discrepancy in the Turn Summary had already been noted and will be corrected in the next version of the rules.

Quote:
If enemy Recon planes are engaged via Scramble (updated 7.2.1), at what point in the Sequence of Play are they so engaged? Before or after they have done their recon? I currently have them in the Air Combat Segment in my EESOP.

You're correct. Potential consequences of interception on the recon are reflected by the aircraft symbols on the cards, whether or not a Fighter or Interceptor scrambles. [6.2]

Quote:
Would appreciate clarification on the circumstances in which a Recon (R) plane can be Scrambled against (as per updated 7.2.1). I have assumed that it is only if the (R) unit is in the same hex as Fighters/Interceptors are based? Additionally, I assume a shadowing air unit can only be scrambled aganst if it enters a hex containing an airbase with Fighters. And not Interceptors as shadowing ends when the shadowing unit enters a hex adjacent to an airbase containing Interceptors [6.3.5].

Per 7.2.1, you can always Scramble against a target (including a Recon unit) in the same hex. If using the optional part of that rule, there is also a possibility of scrambling against a target in an adjacent hex. Your interpretation of 6.3.5 is correct, so an Interceptor could never scramble against a shadowing air unit.

Quote:
Presumably if Light Ships split from Heavy Ships in a TF that is already at Low Fuel and thus its Fuel Status marker is on the Fuel Danger side, the Fuel Status marker which now only belongs to the Heavy Ships moves 4 days forward, then back three turns and flipped to Fuel Warning side?

No, the rules do not allow you to flip a Fuel marker back to Fuel Warning without refueling. In order to avoid penalizing the Heavy Ships, best split them off before reaching Fuel Danger, but if you want to play as you describe, that's fine. One could make a case that the Heavy Ships gave some of their fuel to the Light Ships, as would certainly happen under Low Fuel circumstances if weather allows. But I didn't think it worth further convoluting the fuel rules either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you kindly for responding so promptly and in such detail Chris.

Regarding the thread where I quoted you regarding fighters and scrambling, the thread I was referring to was:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/537944/split-their-fire-air-...

However, looking at it again, you do not need to clarify. In that thread you said:

"So if the 8 attacking air units in your example consisted of three Fighters and five Bombers, even though two of the Fighters wouldn't be engaged in air combat by the lone scrambling interceptor, those two would not be able to bomb."

I wrongly took this to mean that all attacking fighters could not engage either (as opposed to be engaged by the Interceptor), but that is not what you were saying. Apologies.

Regarding your response to my last question regarding fuel, I am happy to do it as per the rules. It is a nice incentive not to push too far with the Light Ships, as you say , to split them off before problems ensue. And the Heavy Ships still get the +4 days if they split anyway, they just have to be at Low Fuel that whole time.

Thanks again for all of your answers. I shall update the EESOP accordingly and get it out to folks soon.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.