Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Vesely
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick this up as soon as the reprint hits in a few weeks. The only problem I had was that one of the main players of our group has only one arm. She gets by in most games, sometimes with a card holder or other tool. Do you think the fast-paced nature of this game would cause trouble for her?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could. My suggestion would be to just have everyone use one arm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you only supposed to use one hand per the rules when selecting tiles? And you're supposed to hold each tile above your board before turning it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Aren't you only supposed to use one hand per the rules when selecting tiles? And you're supposed to hold each tile above your board before turning it over.

Yep. I make everyone sit on one hand just to avoid cheaters. Getting them to bring each tile back over the board is a bit harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. But you've obviously never played with ramped up teenagers. Try keeping everyone in line and build you own ship at the same time. Making them sit on one hand is an excellent idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to make light of a disability, but my first thought was that she would be uniquely suited to this game, given the one-hand rule.

More seriously, I can't think of any other game which would cause less trouble for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this game is weel suited for a player with one arm as that aligns with the intention of the rules. Not having a similar handicap, the only thought that occurs to me would be if you spread out all the pieces too far, reaching for one "WAY" across the table might engender balance issues.

Nonetheless, I would forecast no problems at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an important part of the game which is picking up the piles of exploration cards and reviewing them quickly (under time pressure). This is the only part that may be hard for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
There's an important part of the game which is picking up the piles of exploration cards and reviewing them quickly (under time pressure). This is the only part that may be hard for her.

I don't like that part of the game. Seems like cheating. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

You don't have to like the way the game is designed, but a big part of the concept of the game is that you have partial information about what is going to happen during the voyage, and you have to adjust your ship-building to what is coming. That's what makes each game different from the next (the only thing, if you aren't playing with the expansion).

You might not like the style of picking up the cards and examining them quickly (especially if you only have one hand), but the idea of giving players partial-but-not-complete information is pretty important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

While it may seem like cheating also keep in mind by the rules of the full game of the three stacks that can be seen - a fourth stack IS added leaving one fourth of the trip still a mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Suggestion for OP:
1. Remove this rule
2. Allow her to look with someone else.
3. She could just pull the deck to her and flip one card at a time through it - this may or may not be a disadvantage, depending upon how well she can spread or flip cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, she won't have any trouble at all. The rules say you can only use one hand.

If she has only one hand I'm sure she's quite nimbler with the one she has than a normal person is with just one hand, so she's probably quite used to pick up several cards with one hand. Should pose no problem whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Old thread, but put the cards ON TOP of the board, rather than under. And you can place the cards at a location on the table nearer to her.

Unless she's winning. Then put the board AWAY from her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.