Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I think I have a sinus infection. My health is in your hands. Doctor or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm pretty well-versed in sinus infections. I hate wussing-out and spending 80 bucks for antibiotics. My big problem here is that it's not so bad that I know I *need* something for it...yet.

...and I hate spending 80 bucks for a "looks viral to me, tough cookies". It might very well be.

Here are the factors:

*It's Friday. Weekend appointments are a bugger.
*While I would say my nose is doing worse, I personally am feeling better than I was yesterday.
*Sleep is in short supply in this household.
*busy weekend planned.
*snot condition:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thick and buttery yellow, but that's on sudafed. Once I got 5ml or so of the junk out of my throat this morning, I was doing better.

*My son currently is on antibiotics for an ear infection... I might have caught something from him.

What would you do?

Poll
Doc or not?
I would make a same-day appointment.
Antibiotics should be avoided at all costs unless death is on the line.
Doctors are for weenies.
Do whatever would make this thread more interesting.
If you have to ask, the answer is no.
You're seriously asking BGG?
Other (please list)
      45 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any of the Quick clinic options in your area? Around here Target, CVS, and some of the other chains have small clinics in-store where you can get diagnosed and prescribed on a walk-in basis.

My tendency would be to not go in, stay hydrated, and monitor your temperature. If it's an infection you're likely to get a low-grade fever, and I'd use that as my trigger to go in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save the $80 and go buy some games instead. They will make you feel better.

Yeah I said it. I used the word games around here. You don't like it, tough shit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
abrannan wrote:
Do you have any of the Quick clinic options in your area?
This is my advice as well.
Minute-Clinic FTW!
Plus, they can fill the prescription right there so you only need go to 1 place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say "If you have to ask - go visit a Doctor"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Save the $80 and go buy some games instead. They will make you feel better.

Yeah I said it. I used the word games around here. You don't like it, tough shit!

Fixed. That's the proper way to mention games in Chit Chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Antibiotics tend to be overprescribed for sinus infections. Not saying you absolutely shouldn't get them, but the evidence that they help for sinus infections is sketchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
condition:
Thick and buttery yellow, but that's on sudafed. Once I got 5ml or so of the junk out of my throat this morning, I was doing better.

*My son currently is on antibiotics for an ear infection... I might have caught something from him.

Two other factors to consider:
- is your temperature normal?
- have you been treated with antibiotics in the past for the same affection? How much time ago?

Also: antibiotics could be appropriated or not, but I would steer clear of decongestionants: mucus becomes thick, sinus cannot eliminate it anymore, more chance of bacteria thriving on it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just a pharmacist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Paolo Robino wrote:
bippi wrote:
condition:

Two other factors to consider:
- is your temperature normal?
- have you been treated with antibiotics in the past for the same affection? How much time ago?

Also: antibiotics could be appropriated or not, but I would steer clear of decongestionants: mucus becomes thick, sinus cannot eliminate it anymore, more chance of bacteria thriving on it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just a pharmacist.

No fever that I can tell.

I think I'm going to stick this one out. I'm not at the "I need help nao", I'm 50/50 on whether antibiotics would help. Usually I know "nothing this bad is viral".

I had an issue back in February where I needed a z-pack.

I really appreciate the take on whether I should do decongestants or mucinex (a guafanasin type thing here in the states). The only downside is that my 24-hour sudafed is set to expire tonight. I don't want to be blowing my nose all night.

EDIT: No quick clinics here. I could really use that, because normally my doctor looks...flips a coin, and calls it. Seriously though, I'm just using their expertise on what a sinus infection looks like---without any real serious labwork. I would pay $30 for a professional piece of advice on the topic...but $80 makes me go "this better be good"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
robigo wrote:
Antibiotics tend to be overprescribed for sinus infections. Not saying you absolutely shouldn't get them, but the evidence that they help for sinus infections is sketchy.

I'm with you, but I would say every time, if not most of the time...there might have been once or twice... a z-pack's results were noticeable within 12 hours of the first 2-pill dose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
get a netti pot and use it every other day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pronoblem wrote:
get a netti pot and use it every other day...

I've heard that if you do have a sinus infection, this is one of the worst things you could do.

But otherwise, a neti pot is freaking invaluable after visiting the inlaws. (cats, dust)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
So now to be completely yuk: the way I can always tell is if your snots start turning various wonderous shades of orange/green. Yum. Then it's probably a lock for bacterial. If not, then I normally wait 2-3 days. If it's viral, it will generally clear up. I use Afrin for 2 days or so (no longer in the meantime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
I've heard that if you do have a sinus infection, this is one of the worst things you could do.

Right... not to deal with your current situation, rather to prevent future infections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a chamber pot and use it every other day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jam into sinuses, run for a moment or two, no more stuffy nose!

But really, if you have sinus pain, drainage that is leaning towards a greenish color, and a history of these things, then see the Doc, or go to a quick clinic. Putting off will just make it worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why go see the doctor?? In a few days you won't know the difference, and you'll be just fine.

My rule of thumb is: if you don't need stitches and you don't have a broken bone, don't see the doctor.

Also, it seems every time I go to the emergency room with a serious injury, we get in line behind 15 new parents who have their babies with a temperature of 101.

Hint to new parents: If your baby has a fever, give them some Tylenol and put them to bed, don't take them to the emergency room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
I prescribe: 1 burrito. Extra hot.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Nuke a mug of water 3/4 full to steaming hotness.
2)Set mug on table with washcloth folded in half (for newbies) or quarters (for the experienced) over the mug. You can try to hold the mug in your hands, but that takes a lot of practice.
3)Have a large box of kleenex handy.
4)Make a small tent for your nose on one side of the washcloth, so you can stick your nose over the cup edge and under the washcloth, then breath the steam. If it seems too hot wait a bit and try again. You can also experiment with the tightness of the tent around your nose. Letting in a bit more room air can make this easier to do. Fewer folds in the washcloth can also let more air in. You want as much steam as you can stand, though.

The washcloth tented over your nose and flat over the mug will keep the steam concentrated and warmer for longer.

Breath in as much steam as you can for several minutes, then blow your nose. Repeat this until the water is no longer steaming.

Repeat entire procedure as many times as you can stand it.

You should feel a whole lot better. You can press/massage around the edges of the bones of your eyesockets, too, especially near your nose. This should also release more mucus.

If this does not significantly relieve your symptoms, then it's too late and you should get to the doctor. This works best when you feel the symptoms coming on and can often stop an infection in it's tracks.

Notes on Netti Pots: use only with distilled water. CDC says nasty, practically untreatable fungus, etc. infections can be caused by using tap water or reusing water in a netti pot. Read their warning and instructions on safe cleaning and use of netti pots.

Notes on Z-pacs: Just yesterday CDC (or FDA?) released a warning that z-pac antibiotics seem to be associated with heart disease. It did not say whether you had to be a frequent user (as I am) or whether one time is enough. They are not recalling z-pacs, though. BTW, amoxicillin works just as well and is cheaper. You just have to take more pills.

Notes for new parents: If an infant's fever is under 103 and is not rising, give tylenol and stay home. If the fever is 103 or above or is 101 and rising get to the ER ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hholzgrafe wrote:
If the fever is 103 or above or is 101 and rising get to the ER ASAP.

Between 0-3 months, especially when Tylenol is not cleared from your pediatrician, if your temperature meets/exceeds 101.9 (maybe it was 100.9, even), it's ER time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hholzgrafe wrote:

Notes on Netti Pots: use only with distilled water. CDC says nasty, practically untreatable fungus, etc. infections can be caused by using tap water or reusing water in a netti pot. Read their warning and instructions on safe cleaning and use of netti pots.

You may have just saved my life. My "fuck it, it's got salt in it..." might not be as good of a plan as I had hoped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
hholzgrafe wrote:
If the fever is 103 or above or is 101 and rising get to the ER ASAP.

Between 0-3 months, especially when Tylenol is not cleared from your pediatrician, if your temperature meets/exceeds 101.9 (maybe it was 100.9, even), it's ER time.

Yep, with tiny, tiny ones that are not allowed tylenol the limit is lower. My kids were little when tylenol was still allowed for newborns and the rules were different.

Our pediatrician subscribed to a 24-hour nurse-line company, too. If you were worried you called the nurse and she'd advise for your situation what to do and whether it was ER or rush dr. appt time. They even made the appts and called the ER to have them expect us and lessen the wait time. It was great. I wish all pediatrician's had that service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
hholzgrafe wrote:

You may have just saved my life. My "fuck it, it's got salt in it..." might not be as good of a plan as I had hoped.

Yes, I thought I'd put that out there for the unwary. In our house we use the sinus "squirt" bottles you see in drug stores. I find they are less messy and much easier to clean. You can really see if they are clean because they are clear. If you keep several, you can always be sure to have a clean one ready to go. Netti pots are more expensive and I don't think they clean up as well.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
bippi wrote:
hholzgrafe wrote:

You can boil the water as well. does the same trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
My afternoon clinic starts in 10 minutes, so if you can come and see me I'll see you FOR FREE.

Plus you can stick around and play some games once clinic is done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.