Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Church
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Rex a couple of weekends ago at my FLGS. Last night I decided to pull it out for board game night at said FLGS. After managing to rope in three other players I set up the board for four players and took some time to explain the rules.

After drawing for turn order and setting up the races and VP looked like this:

Barony of Letnev - Imperial Navy Base
Universities of Jol-Nar (Me) - Civilian Space Port
Federation of Sol - Imperial Palace
Lazax Empire

And the Fleet was camping in Sector 13 (Limiting Sol's initial deployment).

And with that we started turn one. Right out of the gate we pulled a Cease-Fire from the influence deck and battle lines were formed with Letnev and Jol-Nar on one side and Sol and Lazax on the other. The next influence card placed influence in Terraguth Slums and Imperial Intelligence HQ.

Bidding passed with with me taking advantage of my ability to look at the cards to make sure I came out with two nice cards, and Lazax coming out with a ton of influence.

Recruitment was skipped since none of our troops managed to kill themselves before the game started and we moved right on to the Maneuvering Phase.

Probably because it was the first game, nobody started any fights. The Barony and I each moved a group to pick up the influence that had been dumped on the board at the start of the turn, and then deployed to the Council. Sol moved a group off of the Imperial palace to take up peacekeeping duties at the council, then replacing those units with freshly deployed ones. Finally, Lazax para-dropped (or whatever those pointy hatted weirdos do) off all his Mechanized units and something like 8 of his regular units into the Council chambers.

No fights meant we skipped the battle phase and went on to collection. The Barony and I each got some from our locations, and everybody scored from the Council. Lazax was the big winner here since they were packed into the Council chambers like really oddly shaped sardines.

Bombardment was uneventful, with the fleet passing through to Sector 17. And that was the end of the first turn.

Turn two started off with me as First Player, and no change in VP locations. The drawn influence card placed some more influence in the Tilzin Commerce Region and the (I believe) the Embassy Quarters. I may be wrong about those locations though as it turned out they didn't matter.

Lazax dominated the Bidding Phase since they had a metric butt-ton of influence. The Barony and I got nothing, and Lazax wound up with 3 of the offered strategy cards, graciously allowing his ally to get the last one.

Since combat was a big nothing in the previous turn, there were still no units for recruitment, allowing us skip the Recruitment phase again.

This Maneuvering phase started with the Barony and I looking at each other and saying "Hey. I think we can make a play for this thing." So I rushed my units out of the Council and the Imperial Intelligence HQ (with the help of a strategy card allowing me two movements) and ended up with half of my units on Adminus Imperialis and the rest on the Civilian Space Port.

Sol was too out of position to do much and ended up deploying the last of his units somewhere in Sector 13. Looking back at it, he could have at least moved two units to the Adminus. It would have been 2 vs. 10, but he could have hoped for a traitor (it wouldn't have done him any good since I knew 2 loyal Leaders from my initial traitor draw, but he didn't know that).

Lazax was their best bet to stop us, and he moved his Mechanized Units out of the Council and into the Imperial Navy Base (leaving his regular units to debate politics in the Council). Mecatol Power South got the last of his reserves, leaving it defended with seven of his units.

The Barony moved the units he'd sent out last turn to pick up influence back to the Imperial Navy Base. Unfortunately, he lacked the influence to deploy enough units to Mecatol Power South to be a legitimate threat, so he deployed a single unit with the hope of a traitorous Lazax Leader.

Lazax opted to resolve the Mecatol battle first, and, after revealing the committed units and leaders, it was no surprise that the battle was looking like an easy success for Lazax. Right up until the Baron revealed the traitor card for Lazzy’s leader. Bam, victory from the jaws of inevitable defeat. One down, one to go.

Fight two at the Imperial Navy base was looking a bit more even, with both sides bringing ten strength to the field. My ally power was used to reveal that Lazax was bringing their strength six leader to the party. Dials were turned and plans were made. Battle dials were revealed… And for whatever reason, Lazax only committed one unit to the fight. His attack card killed the Baron’s leader, and his defense card saved his own, placing his total combat strength at seven. Not enough to beat the Baron who committed nine of his own units, more than enough to win even with a dead guy taking point.

With that, the glorious alliance of The Barony of Letnev and The Universities of Jol-Nar were victorious...

Then I played my Betrayal card. Number two, have fewer units in the Casualty pool than your allies. And just like that, I stole the victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Nice report. Even though it was only two rounds it still had just about every mechanic in the game crop up and be important.

The Lazax player only committing one unit to a must win battle was very strange. First game blues, I guess. It was the first battle phase of the game you guys had ever played so I suppose a few tactical gaffs are to be expected. It's just a shame it was in such a critical moment!

Also, I'd like to politely point out that in three and four player game the rulebook suggests that you close off Mecatol Power South so that there are only four strongholds to play over. I think this would definitely make early victories harder in these games and makes things feel a bit more squished. There is a cardboard piece that you place over the Mecatol Power South area to show this on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused; what was going on with the Council?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
What happens in the Council, stays in the Council.

But yes, I did find that confusing too. I think the Council is the Galactic Council. The area on the board that everyone can co-exist and no fighting can occur. A lot of stuff seemed to happen there and I think I got it confused with Embassies a few times too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Church
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Nice report. Even though it was only two rounds it still had just about every mechanic in the game crop up and be important.

The Lazax player only committing one unit to a must win battle was very strange. First game blues, I guess. It was the first battle phase of the game you guys had ever played so I suppose a few tactical gaffs are to be expected. It's just a shame it was in such a critical moment!

Also, I'd like to politely point out that in three and four player game the rulebook suggests that you close off Mecatol Power South so that there are only four strongholds to play over. I think this would definitely make early victories harder in these games and makes things feel a bit more squished. There is a cardboard piece that you place over the Mecatol Power South area to show this on the board.

Wow, yeah, I can't believe I missed the Power South thing. I knew that piece was there for that reason, but for whatever reason, I guess I thought it was for 3 player games.

As for the Lazax player... Well, he spent most of the game on his Kindle Fire playing Draw Something, so his head wasn't exactly in the game.

kobold47 wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear there. Three Headed Monkey has it right. There's an area in the center of the board called "Galactic Council". Basically, it's the only area in the game where players can have their units in the same place. At the end of the turn, any units a player has there gains them influence (the game's currency). Mechanically, that's pretty much all that happens there. Thematically, I'm sure it's full of people yelling interesting things about each other's mothers and their choice of sexual partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Menagon wrote:

kobold47 wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear there. Three Headed Monkey has it right. There's an area in the center of the board called "Galactic Council". Basically, it's the only area in the game where players can have their units in the same place. At the end of the turn, any units a player has there gains them influence (the game's currency). Mechanically, that's pretty much all that happens there. Thematically, I'm sure it's full of people yelling interesting things about each other's mothers and their choice of sexual partners.

You have a rules error there - placement of units at the Galactic Council yields no influence.

The only two ways of gaining influence from the board are:
Quote:
1. Collect Influence from Mecatol City: For each of his
units in a space, a player collects up to 2 influence from
that space. Collected influence is placed in his reserve.
Any influence tokens not collected from the game
board remain in their space and are available to collect
during future game rounds.
2. Collect Fleet Support: Each player then receives two
influence from the influence pool. Each player performs
this step, regardless of whether he collected influence
from the game board.

Additional ways to gain influence are player powers, cards (weapons), and awards from other players (during a Temporary Ceasefire).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.