Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Bearden
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this for a week now. Amazing game! I'd love to own a deck of your fully illustrated cards.

I have a question about the rules:

Torch chaining - is this legal in your own opinion?

I've been playing so that torches can be played as often as I wish in a single section of a maze. This leads to some significant manipulation of the maze. Ie. I have 3 cards down. I don't like the look of things so I discard a torch from my hand. Of the 3 cards turned up, if one is a torch and neither of the other two provide a path out, I'll immediately play the next torch.. and so on until I run out of torches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Torch chaining - is this legal in your own opinion?

Yes torch chaining is legal. You must always put one of the cards revealed by the torch in your hand, and if you are lucky enough to get a torch then that greats, Keep going! To me that strategy represents you getting a bust of adrenaline or getting in the zone.

The major balancing factor in the game is that you are not trying to simply escape form the Maze once, but many times in a game or season so torch chaining may make a single drive easy but eventually you will face some harder challenges. If you become to dependent on the strategy you will find the Fearmonger's "Darksphere" ability very hard to deal with.

Quote:
I've been playing this for a week now. Amazing game! I'd love to own a deck of your fully illustrated cards.

Thanks,
I'm still planning on finishing the illustrations (maybe later this year) but for now I'm focused on my newest game... Post Captain. By the end of summer I will decide which of my games I will take into full production first. If Touchstone:Oubliette makes the cut I hope to have all the art done my Christmas.

I saw your hand drawn Touchstone:Oubliette deck, Very impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
I Have to admit, I'm a bit confused about something in rulebook V3. The main BGG Touchstone Oubliette page states that this game is for one player. However, in the rulebook on page 2 under Map of the Oubliette, it shows a diagram of the layout which shows a spot for an opponents team. I'm wondering how you can have opponents in a single player game? "Other team" is mentioned in a couple of other places, so I have to wonder if I'm missing something or is this just an oversight left over from the original game? Also on page 3 section 3, There is a statement that says you may also use a torch to see what is coming. Although I didn't see any mention of how to do this, I'd have to guess that at that point you may look at cards in the draw deck(?) and if so, how many can you look at? More than likely I've overlooked something here, but I would like to more clearly understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveJames wrote:
I Have to admit, I'm a bit confused about something in rulebook V3. The main BGG Touchstone Oubliette page states that this game is for one player. However, in the rulebook on page 2 under Map of the Oubliette, it shows a diagram of the layout which shows a spot for an opponents team.

The "opponent team" is the game system that you're playing against. It's not for an actual 2nd player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion. The opposing team/other team refers to the AI teams you will play against. In the basic game this is simply pulling a card after each of your drives to see if the AI scored, but in the advanced rules there are team cards that give each team you play against a unique flavor.

When you discard a torch you look at the top 3 cards of the draw deck, one of them goes into your hand (to replace the torch, one goes on the top of he deck, and he other goes on the bottom of the deck.

Once again sorry for the confusion. In the latest rules I tried o streamline things and I appear to have taken Out too much. Several people have said that they found it easier to learn the game from the original rules. There is also a video available that shows a few example turns...

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
As the song says: I can see clearly now!....well, maybe clearer. And as I really thought the "blank" cards needed a graphic, So I've created my own to facilitate learning a little easier. (just for my benefit only).

Thanks, I appreciate your quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.