Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Does anyone know if I'm opening up a can of worms if I create a game called - let's say - "Chutes and Ladders and Snakes" or "Battleboat" that's clearly designed to lampoon the theme of the established game?

I would think under parody I would be covered here. Yes? No?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

War Raft!

(Obviously a parody of both Battleship and WarCraft)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

At first blush, yes. It's important that you're lampooning the game whose name you are parodying. If you make a Battleship-ike game called Battleboat to lampoon fishery treaty policies under the Warren court you could have trouble. But parodies are protected under fair use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

War Raft!

How is that obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

War Raft!

How is that obvious?

Maybe he forgot the tiny c.

WARcRAFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off. If you are going the parody route just to dodge the law and flat out steal a preceeding design then you've likely failed right out the gate. You might as well go with a straight up bootleg.

If you are going the parody route then make sure its the title AND the game theme that are obviously changed. A ha-ha name but the exact same game inside can potentially land you in court. Cover all bases.

Keep in mind that if its an old game then theres likely already a few hundred bootlegs and at least one parody already. Also keep in mind that a vile parody is exponentially more likely to kill your career DOA. Or at least get you on a few ignore lists or worse yet, blacklisted in the gaming biz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
First off. If you are going the parody route just to dodge the law and flat out steal a preceeding design then you've likely failed right out the gate. You might as well go with a straight up bootleg.

I don't think I'm being clear - I'm not in the habit of stealing ideas for the simple lack of having them.

I want to take an existing IP, parody it with a name-change and theme-twist, and use a completely different set of mechanics. The idea isn't to create a bootleg or rip-off, it's to take a well-known property and do something different while parodying the IP.

The analogy is much closer to Star Wars and Spaceballs, not Star Wars and "Turkish Star Wars."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So what is it then?

Anti-Trust
A parody of Monopoly that doesn't glorify out of control capitalsim.

or...

The Game of Death
If you thought The Game of Life was hard, just wait until you have to traverse the Nine Layers of Hell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
The analogy is much closer to Star Wars and Spaceballs, not Star Wars and "Turkish Star Wars."

Or its sequel, The Ottoman Empire Strikes Back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
morari wrote:

So what is it then?

Anti-Trust

What, like the original design of monopoly? The second stage that Parker Brothers cut out?

Yes, monopoly was turned into a parody of itself during its own production

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morari wrote:
Anti-Trust

There's an actual game called Anti-Monopoly. According to Wikipedia they got sued, and the maker's defence was based on the idea that the game, or at least its predecessor, is in the public domain, rather than on a parody defence. Eventually Parker Brothers 'settled' = gave in. So that implies that Parker Brothers didn't want a court judgement confirming that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
I would think under parody I would be covered here. Yes? No?

You might very well be covered. But it may take a judge & jury to make that determination.

Sometimes being right can still cost you a lot of money in legal fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I don't think I'm being clear - I'm not in the habit of stealing ideas for the simple lack of having them.

I want to take an existing IP, parody it with a name-change and theme-twist, and use a completely different set of mechanics. The idea isn't to create a bootleg or rip-off, it's to take a well-known property and do something different while parodying the IP.

You were, but I like to be thorough for those who come after.

A good parody can stand on its own. And the more you deviate from the original source, while making clear still what the source was, the less chance you have of getting taken to court while still maybee attracting those who liked the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Not quite true. The design isn't protected. You could make any number of monopoly games if you didn't use the artwork or text (copyrighted) or name (trademarked, as is the "monopoly guy").

Fair use pertains to the usage of artwork/likeness/text, not design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.