Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually know little about PR other than that there's an economic engine and role selection. I like me games that are about spending money to make more money (or resources or whatever). I do plan on taking an hour in the near future to watch a bunch of good reviews on it to see what it's all about.

Looking around, I see there are other games. Cuba (and expansion), Havana, Santiago De Cuba and possibly other similar games that do not take place in the Caribbean

So what are the pros and cons of each? If I only get one, is PR the one to get? Is the special edition the one to get if I'm not in love with this game, or is the regular edition fantastic in its own right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
I've played Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Havana (as well as San Juan. San Juan is to Puerto Rico as Havana is to Cuba).

All are fun in different ways.

Here's a good thread comparing Puerto Rico to Cuba.

[thread=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/800879/cuba-and-puerto-rico][/thread]

Cuba feels like a race to get things done. Puerto Rico does not. Both are fun in their respective ways, and you won't go wrong with either.

For me, a better role selection game with money/investing is Carson City. Wild west theme. Build buildings, rob people, mine, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of the games you mentioned, and for me Puerto Rico is by far the best. A big part of the game is spending money to make money. Another big part of the game is buying buildings that work well together then playing the right role at the right time so that you get the most benefit, and your opponents get the least benefit. If you like that sort of thing then I would say go ahead and get a copy of Puerto Rico.
I own the special edition, but I think the standard edition would be fine considering that this game is great because of its gameplay and not its art. Playing with the copper coins and thicker pieces from the special edition is nice, though.

Cuba is good and does share a few similarities with Puerto Rico in that you're gaining resources and shipping them to get victory points. But I prefer the gameplay of PR.

Havana and Santiago de Cuba are much different from PR and Cuba, though Cuba, Havana, and Santiago de Cuba all share the same theme and art style. Havana is a very light filler. It's very simple to play and it has a bit of a deduction element because you're trying to determine which cards/roles your opponent will play so that you can decide what cards you should play. I like it, but it's not in the same league as PR and Cuba.

I've been enjoying Santiago de Cuba lately, but it's also quite a bit different from PR and Cuba. It's more similar to something like Finca, in that you move around a circle to different places on the board and collect resources and money, then you can turn those into victory points later. It's a fun game and is faster to set up and play than Cuba or PR, but it also doesn't have as many options as those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Puerto Rico. If you want a solid, medium-weight Euro, it's a pretty good way to go. But to be completely honest, I don't get true economic satisfaction out of Puerto Rico. Yes, you're spending money to build bigger and better things, but to me it feels more like an engine-building game with incredibly interesting player interactions.

When I want to play a solid economic Euro, I reach for Brass. No game creates a buy/sell atmosphere similar to that of Brass. The way players both compete and work together to build industries is brilliant. It's heavier than Puerto Rico, but it's well worth the extra effort to learn. It's my favorite economic Euro.

EDIT: If you find Brass to be to heavy for your likings, take a look at its baby brother, Age of Industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read the thread linked to and one thing that made my naughty bits tingle was the mention of a supply/demand mechanic in Cuba. I LOVE THAT, whereas it appears PR has a more static market (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but a mechanically sound dynamic market is always better, like Wealth of Nations has). How does PR best this? The role strategy and minimizing your opponents benefits while maximizing yours are fun but I find that itch scratched somewhat in Traders of Osaka, which I own)

*edit* I've heard Brass mentioned a lot when I speak of economic games. My main issue with it may be its complexity. I'm fine with it but finding at least 2 other players to play with regularly would be tough. Fiance is most likely not an option, though one never knows.

If it really scratches that itch, I'd pick it up anyhow. Even one good play out of it would be worth the cost

I should add that I am not seeking a game that has worker placement as a core mechanic. I own Manhattan Project and I've yet to stumble upon a game that does it better, IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
The supply/demand market in Cuba is interesting. The shipping mechanic is, in my view, better than Puerto Rico as well.

Cuba is a game where you can feel like you completely messed up if you make a misstep in one turn, however.

The building of Cuba is more strategic as well.

Puerto Rico is great, don't get me wrong. But it's not as tense as Cuba. So, base your decision on what your preference level is for tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
There's a user-made 2-player map for Brass that allows for what I hear is an excellent 2-player game with a couple rules and map tweaks. I got a copy printed at Zazzla a few weeks ago, full size, for only $8.22 (60%-off sale, same as is going on now, with current code GRADWALLGIFT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Lawcomic wrote:
The supply/demand market in Cuba is interesting. The shipping mechanic is, in my view, better than Puerto Rico as well.

Cuba is a game where you can feel like you completely messed up if you make a misstep in one turn, however.

The building of Cuba is more strategic as well.

Puerto Rico is great, don't get me wrong. But it's not as tense as Cuba. So, base your decision on what your preference level is for tension.

Ditto all this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
There's so many versions of the redone Brass map here on BGG that I'm not sure which one is the one I finally identified as the right one.

I've re-uploaded the file I used on Mediafire, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cml159z30d1y30x .

It should be printed at 25"×28.8".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
There's a user-made 2-player map for Brass that allows for what I hear is an excellent 2-player game with a couple rules and map tweaks. I got a copy printed at Zazzla a few weeks ago, full size, for only $8.22 (60%-off sale, same as is going on now, with current code GRADWALLGIFT).

Awesome. I'm buying this. I didn't know it was available to order like that. Brass works incredibly well with two, I've played several 2p games at orderofthehammer.com.

As far as the complexity goes: I was surprised how easily I was able to teach it once I knew the rules well myself. I played a few games online with the rulebook to reference for questions. Then I took it to my wife and another couple (one of which loves depth, the other is allergic to it). All three of them handled it just fine, and my wife has surprised me by considering it one of her all-time favorites. Keep in mind, that my wife refused to play Puerto Rico for months after her first play because it was "too long and complex". She's definitely matured since then--and timing was a big part of her disliking for PR, but let it be known that Brass, when taught well, isn't as difficult to learn as most say.

As a side note, Age of Industry has built-in rules for two and is less complex (so I've heard), but also not as good (so I've heard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
There's so many versions of the redone Brass map here on BGG that I'm not sure which one is the one I finally identified as the right one.

I've re-uploaded the file I used on Mediafire, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cml159z30d1y30x .

It should be printed at 21.3"×24.5".

Jon, the one I want is the on they use on orderofthehammer. So, I've conveniently created a 2p game for us there. :

game name: Let's Have Look at This Map
password: map

See you there soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshe, if you want to give Brass a try, I'd happily help you through a game or two at orderofthehammer.com.

You could create an account, print out the rules, and we could work through a play or two together to see if you like it. If you do you'll be that much further along to ensuring your other gaming friends have a good first experience.

Let me know if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Jon, the one I want is the on they use on orderofthehammer. So, I've conveniently created a 2p game for us there. :

game name: Let's Have Look at This Map
password: map

See you there soon?

Yes! I'd love to.

Except, uh, I gotta learn the rules first. I'll read them this weekend. You can go ahead and take your turn, and I'll jump in as soon as I finish the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Jon, the one I want is the one they use on orderofthehammer.

I think they're the same, but you'd better confirm:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Moshe, if you want to give Brass a try, I'd happily help you through a game or two at orderofthehammer.com.

You could create an account, print out the rules, and we could work through a play or two together to see if you like it. If you do you'll be that much further along to ensuring your other gaming friends have a good first experience.

I am definitely interested, but I'd have to watch a few reviews where the rules are explained prior... and I'm about to move and get married so a bit swamped. Don't be surprised if I randomly message you in a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Jon, the one I want is the one they use on orderofthehammer.

I think they're the same, but you'd better confirm:

Same same, but different! (I just got back from Thailand, where they use this saying A LOT.)

I'm totally ordering this so my wife and I can play 2p in person.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

I believe we played Through the Ages together a while back. Perhaps you and I, Shane, need to be playing us some Brass as well.

If you want to spend money to make money, there are a ton of such games out there that scratch the itch better than PR. But they're all OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I believe we played Through the Ages together a while back. Perhaps you and I, Shane, need to be playing us some Brass as well.

Sending GM now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
thedacker wrote:
I'm totally ordering this so my wife and I can play 2p in person.

Thanks!

That's exactly why I got it printed, too. She's a big fan of North & South, so she's excited to play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Sorry, I think you can print the map slightly larger, to match the original.

It should then be 25"×28.8".

If anyone printed slightly smaller (though it shouldn't kill it either way), Zazzle allows quick and easy cancellation, and resubmission, of orders if you've just placed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a lot more likely to get one person to come play than multiple, so I like to have good two player games. Where do you get the map printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
At Zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-zazzle_print .

Be sure to use this weekend's coupon code for 60% off posters: GRADWALLGIFT .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What paper did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
I've always just used their least expensive poster paper. I've never noticed any detriment in quality, either graphic or material.

It will come in a tube, and so come out wanting to curl, but you can either (1) buy a 36"×30" sheet of acrylic sheeting (basically plexiglas) at Lowe's for about $20 or (2) put things on your poster until it lies flat.

I use plexiglas all the time (it's a necessity for wargamers; I own 8 sheets, in various sizes), but I've also had Zazzle maps lie perfectly flat after sitting under glass (or anything else heavy) long enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
What paper did you use?

I just ordered mine and went with the budget option too. It was $8-something after the promo code + $5.99 shipping.

Pretty good deal, I suppose. I may mount it later if I find a good option for that. I just love boards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.