United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/mitt-romneys-genera...

So Romney's first ad is out. I'd describe it as a positive ad without doubt; it's basically a policy ad (with optimistic music) about day one of a Romney administration. Keystone pipeline approved, tax cuts and reforms proposed, and the beginning of replacement of Obamacare with "sensible" reforms via an executive order.

The article is about how some independent arbitrators will score it as "negative" (presumably for those using a numerical metric to measure which candidate has waged a more negative campaign) because it mentions Obama by name and draws a contrast that is intended to put Obama in a negative light.

So the article is, IMO, dumb on at least three levels:

1. It's about complete fluff, i.e. whether a political ad is rated negative or not, rather than (for example) evaluating the content of the ad.
2. It fails to make the obvious point that the arbitrator's system is too simplistic if merely mentioning your opponent (or saying something like approving the Keystone pipeline will create X jobs that Obama blocked) is enough to make an add "negative".
3. It fails even to be aware of the fact that future articles will talk about campaigns being negative or positive using criteria that are, bluntly, stupid.

The only thing dumber than the criteria or this article that I can think of off the top of my head is me for wasting another five minutes writing about the two minutes I wasted reading the article.

Followed by any of you who are dumb enough to waste time responding to this post.

/thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have saved him 13 million dollars and sent him a photoshop of just two words:

"Not Obama"

And it would have had the same impact.

He is already doing wasteful spending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
For point 2, if X > 0 local, non-temporary jobs, then the ad isn't negative—it's lying. (The State Department projected that it will create 5,000-6,000 temporary construction jobs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many people it takes to manage and maintain a pipeline after it's constructed. It can't be very many. More local jobs would be created if it were the Keystone Bucket Brigade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
For point 2, if X > 0 local, non-temporary jobs, then the ad isn't negative—it's lying. (The State Department projected that it will create 5,000-6,000 temporary construction jobs.)

All construction work is temporary if you view it like that. Once the thing being constructed is completed, the construction workers are no longer needed. It is the nature of all tradework that you move on to the next contract. The point is creating work for those construction and trades workers.

Moreover, with the same token then President Obama's infrastructure spending spree must also have been a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like this is a "Bizarro" project, where some on the left are suddenly skeptical of temporary stimulus while some on the right become devotees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
The modern negative campaign is to scream and cry that your opponent is using attack ads and conducting a negative campaign.

I call it the passive aggressive campaign.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The modern negative campaign is to scream and cry that your opponent is using attack ads and conducting a negative campaign.

I call it the passive aggressive campaign.

Darilian

It's like the eurogame forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It does seem like this is a "Bizarro" project, where some on the left are suddenly skeptical of temporary stimulus while some on the right become devotees.

SOP

My guy does it LEET, youre guy does it SUXOR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Approving Keystone isn't even a campaign issue in my mind; IIRC, even Obama said he would do it, after the appropriate approvals and studies are done. (Heck, even the CEO was uncomfortable with how the GOP has politicized his project)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I don't know how many people it takes to manage and maintain a pipeline after it's constructed. It can't be very many. More local jobs would be created if it were the Keystone Bucket Brigade.

You'd be surprised. The pipelines usually run nearby very small, sometimes remote towns (you can't expect to build line through Denver or Kansas City). All along the pipeline there are meter stations, pumping stations, unmanned equipment and other stuff to be maintained, and it employs the people in those small towns. Some stations may have only three or four employees; others might be an office of fifteen to twenty. And then there's the IT staff back in HQ, the people selling the product that goes through it - it adds up. All of those are permanent positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

That one was nixed in the environment impact study. Sadly, we have yet to create a bucket that properly prevents spillage due to sloshing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.