Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just trying out a GM game variant:

**Note**: When I say "roll": success is a roll of a black during the day or a black or gold during the night.

- GM can move some units one hex. The count of units being the round number (2nd round=2 units, 3rd=3).
- On the GM's turn, for every keep and mage tower GM rolls; on success he places one unit beside the building (green for keeps, browns for mage towers).
- For every creature ontop of a monastery or village, the GM rolls; on success the village or monastery is destroyed and all players lose 2 reputation.
- I use the variant from the rulebook that has you place new rampaging units.
- I also use the variant that has a player choosing a color on the die to represent enhancements to each creature (armor, damage, etc)

Love to hear your thoughts.

**Edit: My wording was wrong in the original post. I'd love to hear what ideas people would have regarding a GM variant**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scatterbraincc wrote:
It was pointed out by http://www.shutupshow.com/ and now it's all I see. This game is LONELY. Everyone plays their own game and at the end you all add up points to see who wins. There's barely any interaction at all.

That's not how you're going to feel if your opponent gets to the first city the turn before you could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scatterbraincc wrote:

What I thought would really enhance the interaction is if cooperation was more necessary; so I tried a home-grown GameMaster variant.

Have you tried the cooperative scenario in the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I felt the cooperative mode was adequate, I don't think I would have tried this mode. :o)

It just felt empty. Without anything actively out to get you, it was a snooze.

I'd like to change directions, not so much, what was wrong with my experience, but 'Hey, how about a variant with a GM?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What sounds like a *real* snooze is being the GM player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm reading your comment as if spoken by your avatar, kakupacal. Funny.

Playing the GM was fun. The players were coordinating a bit more to close down keeps and towers, while stopping the newly spawned monsters all within the time constraints. There are lots of games with GMs. This one lends itself to it.

I guess I'm alone with this feeling. Although, I do appreciate all these ideas you've provided towards a GM variant; ya know, instead of telling me it's boring, asking me obvious questions, and specifying something interesting in the competitive side of the game. ;-P

G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool ideas, Scatter. I too want the monsters to move sometimes. I especially like the idea of the units posing a threat to villages / monasteries which all players have an interest in protecting.

I also agree that the coop version of the game (I haven't tried it competitive) lacks any real cooperation - apart from staying out of each other's way and joint attacking cities it is not much different from playing the solo game with two players. In fact, last time I played that's exactly what we did - played a solo game with both of us making the decisions. It worked out better than coop has for me, so far.

I wonder if there's a way to just completely randomize the GM role. Perhaps it could be tied to the dummy deck somehow, with particular cards representing particular units? Or perhaps we could build a GM deck, similar to the events deck in arkham horror, which sometimes altered conditions a little (made terrain easier / harder to move in, rerolled the source, that kind of thing) as well as required some units to move...

There does seem to be a resistance to variants in the mage knight forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, using a GM defeats both purpose and theme of the game. But still, i liked the threat to villages and monasteries. I have a variant of my own that i am liking to play more and more. So if you dont mind, i think imma start threatening villages and monasteries, and even r-taking keeps and magic towers. Sounds like hard fun.
Thanks for the ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
There does seem to be a resistance to variants in the mage knight forums.

Thanks for this. I know I'm not alone from some other posts: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/739759/co-op-needs-more-coop.... Was sad I couldn't even start a discussion.
cry

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to just completely randomize the GM role. Perhaps it could be tied to the dummy deck somehow, with particular cards representing particular units?

When looking around for other variant's I did stumble across this: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/748603/mobile-rampaging-enem.... More interesting is that Vlaada chimed in with ideas that would make the variant more compatible with future expansions...
Thinking on it, I do really like the idea of a self playing GM. I probably didn't start there only because we have enough people. I'll toy with both ideas. Enemies moving randomly seems silly to me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about using the "dummy player" rules as the foundation for building up a DM variant?

For instance, the cards being dealt out by the dummy player could have other effects than just causing more dummy cards to be dealt out. You could activate marauding monsters or maybe even use some of the cards powers, such as spells.

You could design the GM as an asymetrical opponent vs the hero players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Have you thought about using the "dummy player" rules as the foundation for building up a DM variant?

For instance, the cards being dealt out by the dummy player could have other effects than just causing more dummy cards to be dealt out. You could activate marauding monsters or maybe even use some of the cards powers, such as spells.

You could design the GM as an asymetrical opponent vs the hero players.

----------------------

Vlaada wrote:
Ender13 wrote:
... a six-sided die is rolled for each rampaging enemy. Its direction of movement is determined by the number that is rolled:

--1----2-
---\---/---
6---o---3
---/---\---
--5----4-

While not commenting on the mechanics itself, I would suggest to use color mana die instead of d6. No difference, of course, but more thematic... and compatible with possible future content . This is how it was meant when developing the game:

black (north)

blue (northwest) white (northeast)

green (southwest) red (southeast)

gold (south)

Just rotate it 30 degrees clockwise, so it corresponds with tile orientation.

Note: Oposite elements are on oposite directions, the cold, chilling colors are at the north, the warm, living colors are in the south, the wild and active elements are in the east (fire and wind), the quiet and steady elements in the west (ice and earth).

-------------------

MONSON: Vlada's (color coded) suggestion here is interesting and might work well with the Dummy Player's card draws? Perhaps when the DP is required to draw additional cards then the color of THOSE cards generate one or more COLORED DIE rolls which in turn cause creatures in THOSE areas to move/attack/spawn/fortify/????/????. The creature action dice would be all one color (red, blue, black, etc.) and have the possible actions printed on each side.

I imagine there are many possibilities here although I must admit I'm brand new to the game so can't really offer much help yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.