A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Agendas and Plot Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the specific rules on Agendas? Can any player use them or if one uses an Agenda, does everyone in the game have to use one? Do you just lay it out with your House Card and declare that you are using an Agenda before the game starts?

Plot Cards: In a 2-player game it seems like several of the Plot cards are worthless and a few can even be detrimental to your own side. My buddy was trying out the Targaryen core deck and there was one that forced him to kill one of his OWN charactersninja We both read it several times and we both decided that I get to pick one of his characters to kill.

If one Plot card says "kill all characters in play" but another Plot card says "Characters with the Ring symbol CANNOT be killed", then which Plot card is the one you follow or do you follow both? We are not NEW gamers but the way that some of the Plot cards and even regular text on the playing cards can be very confusing. We try to follow the framework and action windows and READ the card just as they are written without trying to put our own spin on it but we rarely go through an entire game without some questions or confusion about one of the cards.

I know there is a Faq for the game and I have it printed out but is there any other fan made game aid for AGOT that will help us answer some of these confusing questions. We both really enjoy the game and just want to make sure we are playing it by the correct rules.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a new player myself, but I'll tackle what questions I know off the top of my head.

Anyone can use an Agenda, you place it with your House Card as soon as you start the game. Just because one player chooses to use an Agenda does not mean everyone else (or anyone else) must also use Agendas, likewise, everyone is not required to play without an Agenda if one player chooses to not use one. Agendas have built in strengths and weaknesses that keep the game relatively fair, even if some players use an Agenda and others do not.

The plot cards included in the core set seems to be intended for melee games instead of jousts, and the plot card you mentioned is one instance of that.

I'll let the more experienced players around here tackle the next question, but if I were to guess... If both plot cards say "When revealed...", I imagine the order is determined by who the first player is, and then clockwise around the table from him/her. I'm sure this is answered in the FAQ somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
If one Plot card says "kill all characters in play" but another Plot card says "Characters with the Ring symbol CANNOT be killed", then which Plot card is the one you follow or do you follow both? We are not NEW gamers but the way that some of the Plot cards and even regular text on the playing cards can be very confusing. We try to follow the framework and action windows and READ the card just as they are written without trying to put our own spin on it but we rarely go through an entire game without some questions or confusion about one of the cards.

The Power of Blood coard effect is an example of a constant effect, which you can read about in the FAQ. Constant effects are always and immediately in effect when the card is revealed. If they are revealed simultaneously, Power of Blood's text would prevent Noble characters from being killed by Valar Morghulis's passive effect, or by any other effect that might kill them. Noble characters could not even be targetted to be killed.

Passive effects work as Matt described. Basically if there are multiple passive effects that trigger simultaneously, such as the when revealed effects of plot cards, then the first player would determine the order in which they resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eder Monaco
Italy
Rome
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Since the 2 posts above mine have already cleared your questions regarding rules i'll just say what I think about the plot you mentioned: Condemned by the Realm.

Yes some plots in the core set are useless in joust, but not that many. Mainly the ones that say: "if you have more than 1 opponent then..." and a couple of others.
Condemned by the Realm might seem a terrible plot but that 5 income gold is a lot for core set decks. In the core set it is the only plot along Hear me Roar that gives that much gold. Yes you lose a character but you will be probably putting down other 2 with the gold that you get and maybe even a third for free if you have Titan's Bastard in hand. And knowing before hand what the plot does also enables you to play accordingly. You want to use that plot when you don't have important characters on the board or when you are in the lead and don't mind losing a character, even starting first round with it if you have a good hand with a couple of characters that you can put to replace the dead one that you placed during setup for the sacrifice purpose, as long as the opponent doesn't have a too big of advantage on amounts of characters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So each player turns over their Plot card at the same time to see who has initiative. If the person playing Valar Moghulis winds up being the first player reading his plot card first, does that kill all the Noble characters since The Power of Blood Plot card has NOT been read yet and therefore NOT in effect?

Sorry this just isn't sinking in. Is the text on the Plot cards NOT affected by who wins initiative and who goes first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valar Morghulis has a point of initiation in its text: "When Revealed".
Power of Blood does NOT have a point of initiation, so it is always active as long as its text is visible.

VM is what's called a "passive" effect, whereas Power of Blood is what's called a "constant" effect.

If Power of Blood is revealed, noble characters will not be killed by anything, regardless of order of plots being resolved or who First player is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Valar Morghulis has a point of initiation in its text: "When Revealed".
Power of Blood does NOT have a point of initiation, so it is always active as long as its text is visible.

VM is what's called a "passive" effect, whereas Power of Blood is what's called a "constant" effect.

If Power of Blood is revealed, noble characters will not be killed by anything, regardless of order of plots being resolved or who First player is.

PERFECT, now it has sunk in and actually makes sense to me. Thanks for being patient and explaining it completely.

Now please tell me the best way to beat those do-gooders: the Starks and their pack of Dire Wolves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Now please tell me the best way to beat those do-gooders: the Starks and their pack of Dire Wolves

Depends on which house you are playing, but generally speaing, destroy their hand with intrigue challenges. The core Stark deck in particular is very weak in that department, so you will probably gain some power from unopposed intrigue challenges as an extra bonus. The core deck best suited to exploit this weakness is Lannister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more thing to add: "cannot" is an absolute and trumps any other effects. If one card says "must" and another "cannot", "cannot" wins, always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.